A119 V3 and windscreen suction mount questions

Privateer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
RoadHawk DC3 (x1), RoadHawk HD2 (x3)
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an A119 V3 to try, I would like to use it with a windscreen suction mount for ease of mounting in different cars.
  1. I think that the A119 V3 is two separate units (the dashcam and the GPS Mount that gules to the windscreen) is this correct?
  2. Does the windscreen suction mount replace the GPS Mount or work with it? I wish to have GPS data whilst using the windscreen suction mount.
  3. Does the A119 V3 come with a windscreen suction mount as standard or is it an optional extra?
  4. Where can you get windscreen suction mount for the A119 V3? I can't see them in the Amazon UK site.
  5. Is there a limit of angle on either the windscreen suction mount or the glued GPS Mount? As some of our vehicles have quite a steeply raked windscreen, whilst others have a vertical rear window and I'd like to use the A119 V3 units for both front and rear dashcams.
Thanks,

Last edited:
If you want the GPS then you need to get a 3rd party flat mount, see this post and read the thread:

I use the GPS glued-on mount with the A119 V3. My camera is mounted in a 2019 Chevy Bolt, which has the windshield laid back at a fairly flat (close to being horizontal) angle. The camera has no problem accommodating this mounting position. The camera lens can rotate nearly 90 degrees relative to the camera body, so should work on almost any windshield. Be aware that the closer the windshield comes to horizontal the more problem you can have with reflections off the dash. On my car the reflections are visible in the image, but low enough in the image "frame" that they are not a problem.

I use the GPS glued-on mount with the A119 V3. My camera is mounted in a 2019 Chevy Bolt, which has the windshield laid back at a fairly flat (close to being horizontal) angle. The camera has no problem accommodating this mounting position. The camera lens can rotate nearly 90 degrees relative to the camera body, so should work on almost any windshield. Be aware that the closer the windshield comes to horizontal the more problem you can have with reflections off the dash. On my car the reflections are visible in the image, but low enough in the image "frame" that they are not a problem.
What is a "GPS glued-on mount"?

If you are intending to have 1 dashcam and 2 or more vehicles then investigate a second GPS mount.

My UK Honda Civic windscreen is another almost horizontal at the top that gave issues to Nextbase mounts but Viofo, no problem.

If you are intending to have 1 dashcam and 2 or more vehicles then investigate a second GPS mount.
I'm starting to think that it might be best to forget the windscreen sucker mount and just go with the standard stick-on mount with spare 3M pads in case of having to move the unit. Unless Viofo does a combined suck mount and GPS module.

Where can you get spare GPS Mounts? I've done a quick search on Amazon UK and didn't see any.

Regards,

Where can you get spare GPS Mounts? I've done a quick search on Amazon UK and didn't see any.

Regards,

You can easily replace factory supplied dash cam mounting adhesive with a DIY version by using your own source of type 5952 3M VHB tape which is indeed available on Amazon UK.

Simply remove the old tape from the mounting plate making sure the surface is thoroughly clean and replace with the new tape trimmed to size.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=5952+3m+VHB+tape

The two inch wide version from 3M is the best for replacing dash cam mounts if you can find it in the UK, although I'm not sure if it is available there. Barring that you can use two strips of standard narrower tape side by side and it will work just as well. Small sheets of 3M VHB are available as well.

3M VHB 2 inch .jpg

I'm starting to think that it might be best to forget the windscreen sucker mount and just go with the standard stick-on mount with spare 3M pads in case of having to move the unit. Unless Viofo does a combined suck mount and GPS module.

Regards,
Look through the Viofo shop on Amazon UK, if it is not there then you can also order from the Viofo website, change the settings to £ and many items are shipped from the UK, and even if not I think it will have UK VAT paid (GPS mount is under the threshold for VAT and import tax anyway).

Last edited:
Hi Dashmellow and Nigel,

Thank you for your advice on the 3M adhesive tape and on the Viofo Amazon shop. Unfortunately, I can't see any sole GPS mount but I guess if enough people ask for it then they will add it.

I've placed the following links for my ease of finding again:

Viofo Amazon shop

Viofo A119 V3 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07RXQLV5C

Viofo Suction cup mount for A119
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B073CHML4M
Regards,

Hi Dashmellow and Nigel,

Thank you for your advice on the 3M adhesive tape and on the Viofo Amazon shop. Unfortunately, I can't see any sole GPS mount but I guess if enough people ask for it then they will add it.

I've placed the following links for my ease of finding again:

Viofo Amazon shop

Viofo A119 V3 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07RXQLV5C

Viofo Suction cup mount for A119
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B073CHML4M
Regards,

@Privateer, it wasn't clear to me whether you were seeking spare adhesive pads for the GPS module or a spare V3 GPS module itself. Both are available.

Apparently, Viofo sells the A119 V3 GPS mount directly on Amazon US although I'm not seeing it on Amazon UK or Viofo's own website. I'm sure if you contact Viofo or tag them here on DCT you'll be able to obtain one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07TGKWGZR

As I understood it the OP wanted a GPS mount in more than one vehicle.

There are a couple of US retailers who frequent here who I'm sure can help us in the UK ?

There are a couple of US retailers who frequent here who I'm sure can help us in the UK ?

Yeah, I think you're right.

But he did say he might, "just go with the standard stick-on mount with spare 3M pads in case of having to move the unit" along with "Where can you get spare GPS Mounts?" which was a bit ambiguous since many refer to 3M tape pads as "mounts".

In any event, if not available direct from Viofo I'll bet @CaptureYourAction or @OCD Tronic could provide one. Such a small, lightweight item shouldn't be too dear to ship across the pond. (After having been previously shipped across the other pond from China! :D)

GPS MODULE FOR VIOFO A119V3 CAR DASH CAMERA:

Can you make the text any bigger @Nigel? Methinks you're not shouting quite loud enough. :rolleyes:
Sorry, it appears that is the biggest size possible using the normal format controls, even if I edit the "7" to a "9" it still comes the same size.
Maybe why Viofo used that size on their website page that I copied and pasted.
I think @Privateer will probably spot it anyway :unsure:

Hi Dashmellow, Kremmen, and Nigel

Firstly, Dashmellow and Kremmen you are both right, sorry for the confusion. :oops:

@Privateer, it wasn't clear to me whether you were seeking spare adhesive pads for the GPS module or a spare V3 GPS module itself. Both are available.
I use window suction mounts on my current dashcams so that it can adjust the position. I realise that mounts stuck to the windscreen are more secure and shouldn't suffer from vibrations. Hence the query about spare adhesive pads in the likely event of me needing to reposition the mount in my haste to install my new dashcam. ;)

After I reread my post, I noticed that you can get additional GPS mounts so you can install them in all of your vehicles but just have a few dashcams and easily swap the V3 unit between vehicles. So I then asked about additional GPS mounts.

Nigel, many thanks for the link to the V3 GPS module. At $14.99 that's a good price to install into all of your vehicles. I've emailed Viofo and asked them where I can buy a V3 GPS module in the UK, and whether they would add the V3 GPS module to the Viofo Amazon UK store.

Presumably, the additional V3 GPS modules don't come with a lead. Will any USB-A to Mini-B lead work OK?

Regards,

Nigel, many thanks for the link to the V3 GPS module. At $14.99 that's a good price to install into all of your vehicles. I've emailed Viofo and asked them where I can buy a V3 GPS module in the UK, and whether they would add the V3 GPS module to the Viofo Amazon UK store.

Presumably, the additional V3 GPS modules don't come with a lead. Will any USB-A to Mini-B lead work OK?
Viofo always supply a spare set of sticky pads.

There should be no issue buying from the Viofo website, and if you buy 1 item at a time, the GPS mount price is below the threshold for VAT and import tax. I think Viofo sort the UK VAT anyway.

It needs a good quality lead, thin conductors result in too much voltage drop, and for the parking mode signal it needs all the pins connected, might be worth asking Viofo for suggestions. If you buy the 3-wire hardwire kit, it comes with a lead, so then you have two leads, one with hardwire kit and one for a USB charger/powerbank.

I'm still using a Nextbase hardwire kit, works perfectly, but, I don't use parking mode.

Back