A119 v3 GPS base loose fit + my fix

Qat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought the A119 v3 and before installing the fit of the camera in the GPS base felt fine. But, after I got the GPS base on the windshield and popped the camera into it, I notice that there's a bit of wiggle room. I searched the forum and didn't find where anyone seems to be having this problem with the v3 and the mounts that came with it, so I don't know if I buggered something up or not.

I looked at Viofo's solution but being impatient I rummaged around in the junk drawer and McGuyvered it. I used the loop side of some hook & loop tape. Notice that the loop is not very thick. I think if you try this you'll need to find something similar. There was another roll in the drawer that was significantly thicker.

The camera slides on to the mount easily and locks in solidly.

PXL_20220312_195824371.PORTRAIT.jpg. PXL_20220312_195840961.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
I recently bought the A119 v3 and before installing the fit of the camera in the GPS base felt fine. But, after I got the GPS base on the windshield and popped the camera into it, I notice that there's a bit of wiggle room. I searched the forum and didn't find where anyone seems to be having this problem with the v3 and the mounts that came with it, so I don't know if I buggered something up or not.

I looked at Viofo's solution but being impatient I rummaged around in the junk drawer and McGuyvered it. I used the loop side of some hook & loop tape. Notice that the loop is not very thick. I think if you try this you'll need to find something similar. There was another roll in the drawer that was significantly thicker.

The camera slides on to the mount easily and locks in solidly.

View attachment 60040. View attachment 60041

Your A119 V3 should have come with several EVA adhesive foam pads which are specifically designed to resolve the problem you experienced.

You did a nice DIY job with the Velcro loop tape and that may be all you need. If it doesn't quite do the trick in the long run, go with the included EVA foam.

Last edited:
I'd be concerned that putting that gap between cam and base would affect the metal contacts, cause a bad connection maybe.

Reactions: Mtz
@Qat, assuming your DIY Velcro stabilizer continues to perform well, one modification you might want make is to cut some of the Velcro away to avoid covering the ventilation holes on the back of the camera.

ventholes.jpg

I've used the same EVA foam pad for 4 1/2 years and it has stood up to extreme heat/freezing cold, removed twice a year for cleaning and vibrations traveling on various types of roads. I recommend stay with the EVA foam supplied by VIOFO.

I agree. I remove and remount my cam weekly and my 3 year old EVA foam still working perfectly.

When I changed cars I developed a rattle that the mic picked up very clearly. After some investigation it was where the cable entered the headlining. The fix was a small rubber pad stuck to the windscreen at the very top which trapped the wire between it and the headlining, narrowed the gap.

Surprising how sensitive the mic is.

Your A119 V3 should have come with several EVA adhesive foam pads which are specifically designed to resolve the problem you experienced.

You did a nice DIY job with the Velcro loop tape and that may be all you need. If it doesn't quite do the trick in the long run, go with the included EVA foam.

I did not find EVA pads in the box. I'm given to understand this problem was common with v2, but was fixed with v3.

@Qat, assuming your DIY Velcro stabilizer continues to perform well, one modification you might want make is to cut some of the Velcro away to avoid covering the ventilation holes on the back of the camera.

View attachment 60042

Good suggestion - that's why I only put it down the sides. After using I notice that the velcro loops are not really compressed at the outer ends, so I should be able to remove it at the top there to uncover all of the vent holes.

I'd be concerned that putting that gap between cam and base would affect the metal contacts, cause a bad connection maybe.
No problem in a few days of use, but definitely something I'll look out for.

I've used the same EVA foam pad for 4 1/2 years and it has stood up to extreme heat/freezing cold, removed twice a year for cleaning and vibrations traveling on various types of roads. I recommend stay with the EVA foam supplied by VIOFO.
I did this because there was no EVA pad included with my camera. I can buy from Amazon or from Viofo if I need to in the future.

Good suggestion - that's why I only put it down the sides. After using I notice that the velcro loops are not really compressed at the outer ends, so I should be able to remove it at the top there to uncover all of the vent holes.

Yeah, that extra space where the ventilation holes are is what allows you to insert the camera into the GPS mount and slide it down to lock it in place.

Just checked and, including the backing paper, it's only 0.68mm

Here is the specs from VIOFO.
EVA Foam Custom Die Cut 0.5mm Pad for VIOFO A119 and A119S

Back