A119 V3 - is this normal?

superclarkey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum, so hello everyone.

I have had a DOD LS470W+ in my car for many years, maybe 2015 I got it, so when I looked into getting a new camera I thought the cameras would be like 2-3 generations on, kinda surprised they all look about the same. Seems like its more about features then video quality, which seems backwards to me, but oh well.

Anyways did a bit of research and the A119 V3 came up as a solid choice, and the price seemed decent also, so thought I would give it a try.

I do most of my driving either really easily morning when its dark, or on way home, which is also dark.. so actually this is where I need the camera to work at its best, so I've done most of my testing at night so far.

I was expecting a uplift in quality from the old dash camera, but I'm not really seeing it, but as people rave about these A119 V3 maybe I'm doing something wrong in the set up.

From memory I'm running it closest to its native resolution at 2560x1440p 30fps, high bit rate, no exposure compensation (however I have tried lowering it to see if it gave better faster shutter speeds), no HDR/WDR (As I noticed crazy banding with this option).

I've also realised where the DOD sits away from the screen and as such is hardly affected by the rain, the A119 V3 being right up against the screen causes the rain to lens the image and cause my distortion (something I didn't think about before buying it).

At the start of the video its very blurry, but this is because its close to the screen and shows the difference how they both deal with the same problem.. however towards the end it seems to leave out.

Finally, I wasn't expecting it to be like an Arri Alexa, but I was expecting an improvement over such an old camera.

Any help welcome, if this is normal, then I might look at something better (if it actually exists)

Any help welcome, if this is normal, then I might look at something better (if it actually exists)
To understand the quality of the video on the DVR, you need to show the original daytime video before 15:00, the sun is behind. The windshield inside the car must be clean.
Also tell us what exposure you will set, you can leave it by default.

To understand the quality of the video on the DVR, you need to show the original daytime video before 15:00, the sun is behind. The windshield inside the car must be clean.
Also tell us what exposure you will set, you can leave it by default.
As I mentioned, there is no exposure compensation. EV 0.

I didn't mention both cameras have CPL filters fitted. The one on the V119 V3 has a heavy green tint to it, the camera doesn't change its WB to suit, so shows a green tint constantly.

There have always been some difference in cameras basic hue, so some will be leaning towards red / yellow and so more warmer colors, others will be leaning towards blue / green for a colder feeling to the footage.
I know it can be frustrating to not see more tangible improvements in your footage, testing cameras it have also frustrated me for a while.

So lately we have seen 1440p sensors come into play in form of the Sony IMX 335 sensor, but in some aspects it do seem like stepping up from 1080p have not made you throw your hands in the air.
Still i do like the 1440p cameras, but i have also always had very modest expectations to dashcams, not least in regard to their low light performance.

The sew cameras coming to market with the sony starvis 2 sensor, this to me are very interesting, and probably the only place where you will really notice a improvement VS older cameras no matter their resolution.
BUT ! it is still a baby step, but at least one of those you will be able to see.

At the moment I'm really not impressed by the camera at all. What I want it to do, it simply doesn't do. I didn't expect to read number plates at night, but shocked how bad it is in teh day too.

I honestly think its the software that causes the issues not the lens/camera. seems like the bit rate is very low.

I honestly think its the software that causes the issues not the lens/camera. seems like the bit rate is very low.
Tо read license plates at night, HDR must be enabled.
You didn’t show us the day, there is a defect in setting the focus or a strong glare on the instrument panel.
Share the day's video for understanding.
Then we can discuss.

When HDR is enabled the gain is that high that its causing banding issues, I've tried it with both settings and with it off gave the "best" results.

I will share a video of "daytime video before 15:00, the sun is behind" when the sun is next out.. be around next UK summer time lol. Its only dark and overcast with rain at the moment.

I can share a video of mid-day but it isn't bright and there is defo no sun, just white defused light.

However the point is, if the video is this poor at night, I don't really care what it can do under the best conditions you throw at it because that is not when it will matter and when it needs to collect footage for me. Hence me asking if this night footage is normal for a A119 V3.

Upload the original video (to any file hosting service, give a link to the forum, YouTube is not necessary) from Viofo that you shot as a couple.

Resolution is 2560*1440 which is as close as I could get to the native resolution of the sensor. There was a 1600P option, but seemed a bit pointless to have more top and bottom. The ultra wide options are no wider so thats a bit of a joke.

High bit rate is selected.

CPL settings are defo a little out of phase but shouldn't make much of a difference in the video I've shown you as there is no direct sunlight.

Resolution is 2560*1440 which is as close as I could get to the native resolution of the sensor. There was a 1600P option, but seemed a bit pointless to have more top and bottom. The ultra wide options are no wider so thats a bit of a joke.

After each setting must be saved, press the central button !

Attachments

• Безымянный3.jpg
    Безымянный3.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 20
CPL settings are defo a little out of phase but shouldn't make much of a difference in the video I've shown you as there is no direct sunlight.
In this place it is clearly visible, all the same, check.

Attachments

• Безымянный.jpg
    Безымянный.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Безымянный.jpg
    Безымянный.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 18
The file I've sent you is a file rendered at H.264 at 1080p, that isn't the original file as I needed to cut it out of a larger clip which showed me on my driveway at home. (I would need to make you a video of me driving out of area then I can upload it as a RAW video for you) but I did this with what I had on hand.

Yes I saw the CPL is out of rotation as I could see the reflections also. (but it will only be out slightly, but could also be poor CPL filter).

I asked for the original video! Don't do that again.
The original filter can be customized.!

Sorry I thought you meant before I uploaded to youtube, not the Raw data.

I will remove the registration tomorrow and do a drive if the weather is decent and send you the original. I was just to use what I had to hand.

EDIT: Yeah I can see the CPL can be rotated in its housing, I Just haven't got to messing with it yet as I was more concerned about it working at night time.

The filter will of course eat up the light, but that's not a problem, you won't get Hollywood anyway at night.:D

Check the CPL hasn't still got the protective plastic on it ....... both sides.

Your settings look fine to me, just what I use.

As mentioned, let's have the full ~500Mb file, if you're using 3 minutes, and daytime is the first test. I use Dropbox for my file transfers.

The V3 at 2560x1440 should be pin sharp at slower speeds. The current testing problem is the UK is going through autumn dismal weather at the moment so brightness is down a bit.

Back