A119 v3 poor video quality (No CPL, no tint, not potting to the sky)

popsicle_47

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I bought this a119 v3 on amazon around 2021 and until recently I didn't really need to review my dash cam footage. But last month when I needed to read a license plate of a car in broad daylight I found out that I couldn't do it. The quality is just bad. I saw other footages of a119 v3s on Youtube and even after all the compression Youtube did they still look far better than my raw footages. I do everything in 1660P30 with WDR/high bit rate and to give you an idea of the quality I got, here is a true to life screenshot of a freeze frame I took while stopped at an intersection. As you can see there is no sun directly ahead of me, I am not moving and there are plenty of light yet the camera still could not even capture what's on the traffic light. Is this something I need to consult support or just that my firmware needs updating?(haven't updated since 2021)

EDIT: it's 1440p 30fps and no exposure compensation set, format mp4 and everything default

Dash cameras are not capable of resolving license plates at that distance.

What issue is going on in this image that you need to see plate numbers for anyway?

Have you cleaned the lens and appropriate part of windscreen since fitting ?

As we know, the inside windscreen needs regular cleaning because of the outside air being pushed up it via the front screen vents.

I cleaned mine a few months ago after close inspection and the lens (and CPL in my case) were filthy.

for some reason the forum kept trying to download my image from Imgur and it won't show bc the size is too large, lets try this edited url and see https://tinyurl.com/3tr586f8
Submit original video for good analysis with exp and HDR settings enabled. on or off
You also need to set the horizon correctly, it should be 50% of the sky and 50% of the road, this is necessary for the metering to work correctly, you have 70/30.

for some reason the forum kept trying to download my image from Imgur and it won't show bc the size is too large, lets try this edited url and see https://tinyurl.com/3tr586f8
We have checked the picture you provided, and we are so sorry that it cannot capture license plates at such a far distance. If any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Submit original video for good analysis with exp and HDR settings enabled. on or off
You also need to set the horizon correctly, it should be 50% of the sky and 50% of the road, this is necessary for the metering to work correctly, you have 70/30.

What does this part mean? Metering?

The V3, as other dashcams, have an internal sensor that is continuously altering the light entering the lens.

If you have the dashcam pointing too high in daylight the footage will be dimmed by the sensor and look wrong. The ideal position is 50% sky with the horizon line as close to the centre as possible.

Yes, this will often show the dash top and bonnet/hood but that's how it is.

To get it right for you ..... park up somewhere suitable and set the dashcam running and turn on audio recording. Start at either end, pointing up or down and go through the lens 'click' range leaving 10 secs or so between clicks. You can then count the clicks on the audio track to see which angle gives you the best image.

Back