A119 V3 resolution

speedlever

Reaction score
Boy am I dumb! I've had my A119 V3 for over 3 years and didn't realize it was a 4k camera (ok, so it's fake 4k, but still)! I haven't fiddled with the settings in 3 years and have had no complaints, but was kinda eyeing the newer 4k cams. I accidentally stumbled across the Viofo site and noticed a firmware upgrade to V2.6 build 20220808 and installed it, forgetting to look at my settings before I did so. Which meant I had to go in and blind reset everything.

I looked in my notes and reset things... then started reading around trying to see what new features v2.6 brought and noticed people talking about 2560x1440p 60 fps which I'd never noticed. I thought the 30 fps version was the top resolution since that was at the top of the list when you go into settings>resolution. Imagine my surprise when I discovered settings up to 3440x1440p/30!

I ran a few 10 second tests in my garage and really couldn't see much difference between the higher resolutions and frame rates, but that really wasn't much of a test. And my PC WMP couldn't play back the 3440x1440p test anyway. Is there any reason to use anything higher than 2560x1440p/30?

800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any reason to use anything higher than 2560x1440p/30?
No. Anything higher is just interpolation.

60fps is possible, but most users seem to get better results at 30fps.

The H.265 format “saves” storage space by compressing files. Some computers do not have the codec installed to support playing back H.265 files. Have a try with VLC player. The VLC player is a freeware.

Boy am I dumb! I've had my A119 V3 for over 3 years and didn't realize it was a 4k camera (ok, so it's fake 4k, but still)! I haven't fiddled with the settings in 3 years and have had no complaints, but was kinda eyeing the newer 4k cams. I accidentally stumbled across the Viofo site and noticed a firmware upgrade to V2.6 build 20220808 and installed it, forgetting to look at my settings before I did so. Which meant I had to go in and blind reset everything.

I looked in my notes and reset things... then started reading around trying to see what new features v2.6 brought and noticed people talking about 2560x1440p 60 fps which I'd never noticed. I thought the 30 fps version was the top resolution since that was at the top of the list when you go into settings>resolution. Imagine my surprise when I discovered settings up to 3440x1440p/30!

I ran a few 10 second tests in my garage and really couldn't see much difference between the higher resolutions and frame rates, but that really wasn't much of a test. And my PC WMP couldn't play back the 3440x1440p test anyway. Is there any reason to use anything higher than 2560x1440p/30?

View attachment 64318
There is a little difference between "4K "and really 4K. Here is a blog to express this: https://viofo.com/blog/viofo-a119-v3-supports-4k-resolution-b78.html. Have you tried to playback the files on VLC player? Can it be played successfully? If the issue persists, shall we have a video for analysis? you may upload it by the below link for our analysis: https://viofo.wetransfer.com/ Please advise us after uploading.

Back