A119 v3 stops recording or wont turn on

neilzy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experienced the below or can shed some insight

I purchased two viofo a119 v3's for both mine and the mrs cars over xmas and on both cameras im noticing that there are instances where the camera has either:
- stopped recording mid-trip or
- hasnt turned on at all for a trip
- has turned on mid-trip and started recording

I the cameras were updated to the latest v1.03 firmware prior to use, are using a Sandisk High Endurance U3 128gb sd card. Both cameras are hard-wired into the cars with a 5a fuse-tap off the 12v cigarette lighter fuse.

Some other basic settings are 1440p-30fps recording at 5min clips, Time and GPS stamps, sound record on.

I've had an A119s for about 2 years prior to the A119v3's so this is absolutely stumps me.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Neil

Can you test the card in a PC USB3, not USB2 or 1, slot using this tool (in my dropbox):

The V3 at 1440 needs a fast card in my experience.

Here is what my Samsung 128Gb Evo is showing, in the program in the link :

vK4NG66.jpg

I dont have a usb3 card reader. only a usb 2 one, so instead i tested the card directly on an SD card slot on my laptop with CrystalDiskMark and the speeds were 38MB/s Read and 30MB/s Write

30 should be OK. Wait for another post from someone more knowledgeable.

In the meantime you could try dropping the resolution and bitrate to see if a less demanding setting works. If so then the card isn't fast enough.

Good idea. ill try that now and leave it running over night to see what happens

Thanks again

Quick test again this time on a 64gb Samsung Evo Plus and the speeds are almost identical so I think im maxxing out the SD card reader slot speed

Quick test again this time on a 64gb Samsung Evo Plus and the speeds are almost identical so I think im maxxing out the SD card reader slot speed

Why not try the Samsung EVO Plus in one of the cameras instead of the Sandisk and see if anything changes regarding the problem? Might help with your troubleshooting.

After you updated the cameras, did you manually default the cameras settings in the menu, then press the reset button for about 5 seconds? If not, I would do so and test again. I'm using the SanDisk High Endurance in the V3 with no issue. Might try increasing the boot delay too.
Are you using the same hardwire kit that you used with the A119S? Which kit is it?

I’d try running the cams using the cigar lighter cable as a test to see if the cams behave any differently?

Update to the overnight test I ran last night:

Both cameras were plugged into RAVPower usb charging hub and were receiving 5v/2a tested using an inline usb tester.
Camera A settings:
1440p @ 30fps, High Bit rate, 10mins file duration, Samsung Evo Plus 64gb card
Camera B settings:
1440p @ 30fps, Med Bit rate, 10mins file duration, Sandisk High Endurance 126Gb card

Test was conducted in 2x 1.5hr blocks where-by after the first 1.5hrs, id kill the power, press the power on on the cameras to totally discharge the camera capacitors then re-powered for the second 1.5hr block.

The Results for both cameras:
- No random power-off
- All files accounted for

given this was tested in a controlled scenario where the cameras were in the dark and facing a wall with a constant power-source so i guess its not really indicative of a real world test

Why not try the Samsung EVO Plus in one of the cameras instead of the Sandisk and see if anything changes regarding the problem? Might help with your troubleshooting.

Another test this morning on the Sandisk High Endurance cards with my work laptop which has a micro SD card reader (instead of using the adaptor) and the speeds are alot better: 80MB/s Read and 80MB/s Write, so i think i can rule out the cards

After you updated the cameras, did you manually default the cameras settings in the menu, then press the reset button for about 5 seconds? If not, I would do so and test again. I'm using the SanDisk High Endurance in the V3 with no issue. Might try increasing the boot delay too.
Are you using the same hardwire kit that you used with the A119S? Which kit is it?

I didnt do the the reset after i updated becuase it was practically brand new out of the box when i did it but ill give that a go too.

On my car I improvised the hardwire connection using the old A119s's cigarette socket powered lead to a female cigarette connector to a fuse tap off the cigarette lighters fuse (yeah its convoluted but its hidden and had worked flawlessly on the A119s). The Mrs car is using one of the generic ebay hardwire kits, specifically this one. The output is 5V/2A with an 11.3V input cut-off. I've got a very similar hardwire kit on the work Van for a Thinkware dashcam. again no issues so i dont think its the Hardwire kits.

Back