A119 vs A119S + options & image quality & Mods

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
These two wedge dashcams are very similar in some ways but different in the critical ones.
My VIOFO wedge research continues needing some input by owners.
What is the outer circular lens housing diameter for both A119 & A119S ? 16mm / 17mm?
What is the max bit rate for each when the current newest FW is loaded ? 24 / 18 Mbps?

Since the native resolution for A119 is 2560 x 1440 @ 30fps and A119S is 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps and commonly shared/viewed video format is 1080p @ 30fps, Wouldn't a good video editor rendering the A119 2K video down to 1080p produce 'sharper' video than unaltered 1080p A119S ? I know they use different pixel sized sensors, but I will actually be performing this processing to allow users with limited screens/hardware to see the A119 videos without trouble.
(yes, I'm leading somewhere so read to end before jumping in...)

Next question for A119 is, if instead of doing post capture resizing/saving just change the resolution in the camera to 1080p. Now which 1080p video will be higher quality? My guess is setting the camera to down-grade its resolution introduces less quality than rendering the higher 2K with good editor software?

If however the A119S sensor and chipset algorithms can compete against 2K resolution why buy the A119 ?

The main difference between these two excellent VIOFO dashcams for me is the 160 & 135 degree wide angle lens.
Can someone confirm using a sheet of paper and protractor those angles are horizontally accurate? With other cams I've found very wide FOV lens pick up far too many reflections in small cars or long windshields and cause greater distortions than in a truck or SUV, my car is small.

Wishlist :
Day time touring video goal of 2K resolution if the post processing to 1080p saves the quality but with less distortion by using a 135 degree lens but maintain the deeper clearer daytime imagery of the A119 sensor mounted within 4mm of the windshield hopefully with a CPL to reduce dash reflections. I find the exposure/white balance of the A119S too bright and washed out in bright daylight and the A119 just right! What we're missing is the 3rd little bear...

My Redneck A119 Mods :
I don't suppose VIOFO or BlackBoxMyCar (stones throw away) have a broken pair of A119 & A119S I could Frankenstein together?
M1) swap lens.
M2) recess the lens body to shorten wedge length by 2cm+.
M3) install second mini-USB connector at thin wedge end.
M4) remove and heat wrap each button key to cushion rattle.
M5) modify lens ring to accept pre-exsiting 'other' CPL mini circular lens possibly magnetic.
I noticed in an older thread someone actually fit a GoPro 3 lens down the barrel of the A118C.
M6) dream big so... 3D print new thinner, shorter, narrower wedge shell, done!

I'll bet the next generation of wedge will be on my must have in 11 months!

great forum, great members, excellent community, feedback welcome, thanks.

according to another thread one of the best improvement for A119 would be to change the lens for a 135 degrees lens ( or even less, like 100 degrees ), in order to have less vignetting/fish eye effect :

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/135-degree-lens-replacement-option-for-a119.21904/

other improvements :

- include a CPL lens in the package, the cost of this lens is very very low, this very useful lens should be provided with the original package
- a dedicaded button for the parking mode
- a scale mark on the plastic shell, in order to memorize for the user the position of the lens holder
- allow the user to change easily the CMOS rechargeable lithium battery ( like in a watch, or a CR2032 battery for PC motherboard ), few users know that in the A119 there is a lithium battery soldered in the PCB, the goal of this lithium battery is to store the date and the time,
this lithium battery may have a flaw : if you don't use often your dashcam then this lithium battery doesn't last very long and it can lose his power quickly ( in one or two weeks )

according to another thread one of the best improvement for A119 would be to change the lens for a 135 degrees lens ( or even less, like 100 degrees ), in order to have less vignetting/fish eye effect :

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/135-degree-lens-replacement-option-for-a119.21904/

other improvements :

- include a CPL lens in the package, the cost of this lens is very very low, this very useful lens should be provided with the original package
- a dedicaded button for the parking mode
- a scale mark on the plastic shell, in order to memorize for the user the position of the lens holder
- allow the user to change easily the CMOS rechargeable lithium battery ( like in a watch, or a CR2032 battery for PC motherboard ), few users know that in the A119 there is a lithium battery soldered in the PCB, the goal of this lithium battery is to store the date and the time,
this lithium battery may have a flaw : if you don't use often your dashcam then this lithium battery doesn't last very long and it can lose his power quickly ( in one or two weeks )

good suggestions for improvement
- my main issue is the super wide 160 degree lens, so the 135 or 140 lens would be a great option on the A119. (If I could find a lens on Amazon.ca/com i'd post it.)
- the lens position indicator marking could be done by user with white-out or scratches but a measured scale similar to other cams would be very useful. (good call)
- the RTC battery size/access is one Mod I'd add to my Redneck list, triple the size. (good call)
- since the current buttons do rattle under certain driving conditions i'd replace them with tighter domes or different material, relocate some to sides & add others to reduce total wedge length.

If I could verify 100% the 135 degree lens from A119S would fit the barrel of A119 and each cam could use the reduced/enlarged view correctly a "A119 Lens Swap" store could be created where owners could trade their lens covering only the cost of shipping to each other. Each party would understand the challenge involved in safe clean removal & install & alignment & focus adjustment. That's all part of DIY Modding. I'd prefer to buy a new lens from the supplier just to have a spare. Most new dashcam buyers wouldn't know the positives/negatives on selecting a dashcam with a different wide angle lens.

I think most of what you'd like to do is not practical to achieve unfortunately

its my "wishlist" and when a device has room for improvement to meet my(other) needs, I'll make them known then open the toolbox and get to work. I believe this was how the first iPod & iPhone were created, hacking a bunch of other gadgets at the time into one better device... plus it's my hobby. thanks for your feedback.

its my "wishlist" and when a device has room for improvement to meet my(other) needs, I'll make them known then open the toolbox and get to work. I believe this was how the first iPod & iPhone were created, hacking a bunch of other gadgets at the time into one better device... plus it's my hobby. thanks for your feedback.

not saying a device with those features couldn't happen, modding the device you have to support those features though would be impractical, swapping lenses is no issue, some of the things you would like would make for a larger product when it sounds like you'd like it to actually be smaller

Thanks for your suggestions.
The practical one is about lens change, but it is hard to find the very good lens for A119 due to structure limited.
Our CPL lens is not a cheap one, we have prepared samples from other manufacture, but finally choose the best one.

Some suggestions will help us for future dash cams developments, thanks so much.

another suggestion :

- make a dashcam with a GPS circuit inside the dashcam ( integrated GPS chip on the PCB ), the cost of a GPS unit seems very low ( 10 dollars on amazon ), it would be interesting to have a dashcam and a GPS in an one device,

smartphones can be slim even with an integrated GPS chip, so the same should be possible for a dashcam

GPS is already built into the mount itself - doesn't get much more integrated than that. some of it is a heat/thermal issue (which you don't have with phones since you aren't supposed to leave them in direct sunlight) but some is also RFI/EMI. to keep costs down, they use larger/cheaper components that may also hold up better in the high-heat environment of a car.

the current situation ( GPS built in the mount, which means that the GPS is always sticked on the windshield when the car is not used, exposed to the extreme temperatures, ) is not good for me, I always remove my dashcam when my car is in an unsecure parking, but with the viofo A119 we can not take with us the GPS because of the integration with the plastic mount,

I want a solution where the GPS chip is inside the dashcam, it should be possible because other brands have made this choice without technical problems ( but the price is probably higher )

Last edited:
the GPS they use is heat rated way above the temps you'll get anyway, that's a non issue, among other downsides of having it internal it wouldn't fit in the current design, the camera would need to be bigger

Back