A119 vs A119s

sshazam

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Looking to add another dash cam to the convoy of cars.

Looking reliability and video quality as I find my current street guardian is great but sometimes struggles to be able to read license plates.

In terms of reliability and video quality is there much difference between the A119 and A119s models ?
I know the S has the sony sensor and records in 1080 but the A119 records in a higher resolution. I've also found the A119 to be more available
I will be adding a CPL filter to it if that makes a difference.

Thoughts ?

how important is low light performance to you?

Not really concerned as my headlights are good. Only issue would be where I park at night.

I'd rather be able to read license plates when I drive

...I'd rather be able to read license plates when I drive
That's a challenge for all dash cams. Some are better than others but none have the ability to do that in all situations.

That's a challenge for all dash cams. Some are better than others but none have the ability to do that in all situations.

I get that but between the A119 and A119s which would be the better of the two ?

I get that but between the A119 and A119s which would be the better of the two ?
I have no hands on experience with either but just based on the specs IMO the A119S would likely do better at night (due to better night performance) and the A119 during the day (due to better resolution). Again, this is just speculation based on the differing characteristics of the two cams.

Based on the discussions and videos in this forum and YouTube, I ended up getting another A119 to join my first one. The higher resolution swayed me.

I have no hands on experience with either but just based on the specs IMO the A119S would likely do better at night (due to better night performance) and the A119 during the day (due to better resolution). .

that's pretty much correct

I have no hands on experience with either but just based on the specs IMO the A119S would likely do better at night (due to better night performance) and the A119 during the day (due to better resolution). Again, this is just speculation based on the differing characteristics of the two cams.
Agree with you!Viofo saying it is better night recording quality due to Sony IMX291 sensor on A119S

I hope "sshazam" likes his choice which I think is a good one. It's nice to see someone making informed decisions instead of complaining about poor results from a poor choice after-the-fact :cool:

This thread points out some very important things about our cams and how to best select them by first deciding what aspects are more important to us. It also shows that there is no one "best" cam, only ones better suited to our needs than others. This thread should be required reading for those new to the dashcam scene ;)

Phil

Back