A119 vs Pro

Robenroute

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi there,

Just joined these forums as I'm diving into the dash cam world. Had a very disappointing experience the other week where a bit of footage would have helped clarify a certain traffic situation...

I've already read a lot of threads and other websites, for that matter, about the different Viofo models and have decided that a 1440p model will be my weapon of choice ;-) I'm also following discussion and developemnts concerning alternative firmware with a lot of interest. There are plenty of example videos available showing the differences between models, options switched on and off, etc. What strikes me is the difference in night vision quality between an A119 (V2) and the Pro version where the latter displays better colours. I would have expected a price difference between the three A119 models (V2, S and Pro), but when I check Viofo's website, those very same models are all $89.99!

I'm not too fussed about the viewing angle or the horizontally adjustable lens on an A119 (as I'm planning on mouting a CPL filter anyway), so I guess my question is simple: A119 (V2) or A119 Pro? Or should I perhaps wait for the A119 V3?

Many thanks in advance & kind regards,

Robenroute

Depends if night vision or resolution is most important to you.
Since you are in Germany where plates are a decent size, the lower resolution of the "S" is sufficient and it is good at night.
The "Pro" seems to be a compromise between the other two.

I would suggest you wait for the V3 since then you get the best of both, however I'm not sure how long you will have to wait, and having any camera can be much better than no camera. I think the V3 will beat all three of the current models in all conditions, although we haven't see much side by side testing done yet so it is a case of wait and see...

Cheers, Nigel. Thanks for the feedback. I'm roaming around the continent at the mo. I might head back to the UK sometime soon. But then again, them English plates shoudl also be plenty visible in 1080p. I somehow never gave the A119S much thought, mainly because of the lower resolution. I'll look into that model. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

You're right about having whatever dash cam being better than waiting (and having zip now). The upcoming release of the V3 being scheduled for next week might be worth that little bit of extra risk (ha-ha, I've been without a dash cam for more than 30 years...)

Thanks again!

UK has the easiest to read plates (And the safest roads), so no worry there, although I would still say that 1080 is adequate rather than plenty, 720 is inadequate, 1440 is plenty.
If the V3 is actually available next week then definitely wait, and be prepared for a few firmware updates before achieving perfection. The new image sensor is from a new generation and a significant improvement on the previous ones, partly from the improved sensitivity which reduces motion blur in all conditions, and partly from the improved dynamic range, meaning that when its sunny you wont loose anything in the shaddows and you will be able to read bright reflective plates at night instead of them being overexposed and unreadable.

I'm looking forward to seeing the V2 and V3 footage side by side. Even though my V2 is only just over a month old I'm an honorary gadget freak so I can see a V3 being inbound fairly soon after reviews.

UK has the easiest to read plates (And the safest roads), so no worry there.

The UK has the second safest roads in Europe actually (based on miles travelled). Based on road deaths per million inhabitants it is in fourth place, behind Norway, Malta and Sweden. Overall Sweden has the safest roads.

The UK has the second safest roads in Europe actually (based on miles travelled). Based on road deaths per million inhabitants it is in fourth place, behind Norway, Malta and Sweden. Overall Sweden has the safest roads.
"I'm roaming around the continent at the mo."
I don't normally consider Scandinavia to be part of "the continent", it is across the sea from Denmark, not part of the EU. And although Malta is in the EU, it is disconnected by a lot of sea, and they have more red phone boxes, complete with British crown, than we do these days!

I would have put North Korea first, big roads, no cars

"I'm roaming around the continent at the mo."
I don't normally consider Scandinavia to be part of "the continent", it is across the sea from Denmark, not part of the EU. And although Malta is in the EU, it is disconnected by a lot of sea, and they have more red phone boxes, complete with British crown, than we do these days!

Oh right, you're in the Untied Kingdom! Almost forgot! :smuggrin:

Oh dear... the continent discussion :eek: ;) I only wanted to make clear I’m not in the UK at the moment.

As for dash cams, I think I’ll sit the wait for V3 out. First unboxing video is up. Can’t be long before footage is shared.

Thanks for all the feedback/advice.

Oh dear... the continent discussion :eek: ;) I only wanted to make clear I’m not in the UK at the moment.

As for dash cams, I think I’ll sit the wait for V3 out. First unboxing video is up. Can’t be long before footage is shared.

Thanks for all the feedback/advice.
You can check the video quality in this thread.

Back