BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
Decided to share my experience with several A119S dashcams all slightly blurry on the left side. If anyone has this type of issue return and exchange the dashcam. I wanted to tinker and working with approval from the vendor and VIOFO to repair my 3rd A119S. Far too much effort and detail for a product that should be returned but some of this information may be helpful.

VIOFO A119S Dashcam - Disassemble
// timeline // 0:20 open case // 1:39 disconnect lens ribbon cable //
// 2:04 open lens housing // 2:34 remove sensor board from cowl //
// 3:22 reassemble dashcam // 5:01 reconnect lens ribbon cable //
// 5:40 attach click ratchet //

VIOFO A119S Dashcam - Lens Alignment
// timeline // 0:24 before & after footage // 3:38 loosen lens base //
// 3:35 fragile components // 6:41 align lens base //

VIOFO A119S Dashcam - Lens Refocus
// timeline // 0:20 return option // 0:52 mark lens position //
// 2:20 loosen locking ring // 3:04 adjust focus 2 notches //
// 5:09 reconnect lens to focus // 7:00 live focus with A/V out port //
// 11:10 lock lens position //

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist

Awesome thank you! I lost the spring couldn't figure out why the lens adjustment was so loose. Now I found the spring

I was hoping this was going to be a quick fix. I believe i also have a blurry lens. Dont think i have the patience or skills to thoroughly disassemble tiny stuff like this. Very imformative video though thanks for sharing.

The best way to check for blurry left side is view the clip in 1080P and note how far towards the center the blurriness reaches. Hard to tell on an uploaded YouTube video but mine was about 1/6 to 1/5 which required more alignment correction. If yours is less, then the quicker alignment fix might be all that's needed, much easier than focusing.

Thats pretty much my exact words when i noticed it. About 1/6 of the view is noticeable. Kind of sucks that its a trial and error thing to correct it too.

Thats pretty much my exact words when i noticed it. About 1/6 of the view is noticeable. Kind of sucks that its a trial and error thing to correct it too.

You could reduce the area by 1/2 with just the 'right shift to the max', even a tiny amount would reduce the blurry area. I was going to create a 3D graphic of the cause showing 6 glass elements and focal points but skipped it when I noticed my beer fridge was empty. My guess is one of the inner tiny glass lens elements isn't resting flat on its anchor ring. Suggest you contact seller to exchange the dashcam. If that fails visit VIOFO's website and create a support service ticket and wait 2 to 3 weeks for a response to get your options. Watch this thread for more DIY Lens Repairs I'm sure to find.

In my opinion the A119 & A119S are good dashcams for the money. The A119S is still too new but amazingly easy to open compared to other dashcams. VIOFO just has to redesign the mount and a few other things for the next model to be a leader.
For repair-ability I rank them 8/10 (10/10=easy)

FYI: there is another solution, if your vendor & VIOFO refuse to honor the warranty send me a private message.

Last edited:
I did similar procedure on Mini 903/nanoQ. Unfortunately, A119 doesn't have HDMI so it is more difficult to refocus.

I did similar procedure on Mini 903/nanoQ. Unfortunately, A119 doesn't have HDMI so it is more difficult to refocus.

I'm not sure why that old 480P A/V out port is even there (besides being a port off the 2" LCD signal) given all the video recorded begins at 720P. It would only be used by a small fraction of buyers. I wouldn't recommend buying any special VGA cable for that non-1080P non-HDMI video port.

Decided to share my experience with several A119S dashcams all slightly blurry on the left side. If anyone has this type of issue return and exchange the dashcam. I wanted to tinker and working with approval from the vendor and VIOFO to repair my 3rd A119S. Far too much effort and detail for a product that should be returned but some of this information may be helpful.

VIOFO A119S Dashcam - Disassemble
// timeline // 0:20 open case // 1:39 disconnect lens ribbon cable //
// 2:04 open lens housing // 2:34 remove sensor board from cowl //
// 3:22 reassemble dashcam // 5:01 reconnect lens ribbon cable //
// 5:40 attach click ratchet //

VIOFO A119S Dashcam - Lens Alignment
// timeline // 0:24 before & after footage // 3:38 loosen lens base //
// 3:35 fragile components // 6:41 align lens base //

VIOFO A119S Dashcam - Lens Refocus
// timeline // 0:20 return option // 0:52 mark lens position //
// 2:20 loosen locking ring // 3:04 adjust focus 2 notches //
// 5:09 reconnect lens to focus // 7:00 live focus with A/V out port //
// 11:10 lock lens position //

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist

If I tried to do what I just saw on your video the DVR would be in the garbage by now. Its one thing to take it apart but never would I be able to put it back together.:eek::eek::eek:

If I tried to do what I just saw on your video the DVR would be in the garbage by now. Its one thing to take it apart but never would I be able to put it back together.:eek::eek::eek:

it helps if your job is to disassemble laptops and other devices for repair, plus it's my Hobby to take stuff apart and see how it works.

Nice couple of videos.
for securing the lens i use a moderate glue for plastic, it seem to work well.
All cameras really should have HDMI out, make it so much more easy than dealing with a AV out or like i some times have done 1 step at the time - record footage - review that footage and then make more adjustments if need be, a wery slow way to do it but it can also be done.

Nice couple of videos.
for securing the lens i use a moderate glue for plastic, it seem to work well.
All cameras really should have HDMI out, make it so much more easy than dealing with a AV out or like i some times have done 1 step at the time - record footage - review that footage and then make more adjustments if need be, a wery slow way to do it but it can also be done.

This dashcam shouldn't require refocus and seems to have been designed with that goal (zero maintenance) but its nice to know it could still be done. Haven't broken anything yet and screws still hold firm, good quality plastic. fun to play with.

next project - A119S Case MOD + Firmware Hack.

A119S MOD + Дело Firmware Hack.

Это интересно, когда ждать релиза и будет вам увеличить битрейт.

Это интересно, когда ждать релиза и будет вам увеличить битрейт.

I'll let you know if I can increase the bit rate after modifying the firmware. I'd only do it for 1080P@30fps which is now 15Mbps.

Reactions: gse
@BCHobbyist Do you know if there is an ribbon cable extension available that goes from the circuit board to the lens? I'm looking into a DIY project for the Viofo A119.

Any help is much appreciated.

Not any great length, 25cm at minimum to 45cm at maximum.

Back