A119S Does Not Remember Date and Time Settings, Need Advice

AyyLmao

Reaction score
Country
United States
My A119S has an issue where it does NOT remember the date and time settings from when I start my car (powering it on) to when I shut off my car engine (power it off).

I've tried asking Viofo for help, but I've been exchanging emails with them for awhile and I feel it is going nowhere.

Ways I've tried to remedy the issue:
  • Factory Reset
  • Leaving the A119S connecting via microusb on my computer for 24 hours to let it charge the RTC battery
    • This initially fixed the issue for 1 day, then the issue returned
  • Factory Resetting and setting up the time
  • Swapping microSD cards
  • Updating to the latest firmware
None of these have resolved the issue.

What I believe is the issue:
  • Dead RTC battery
  • Damaged capacitors
At this point, I am almost convinced RTC battery has lost it's charge which explains why it cannot keep the date and time information stored in the memory. I'm assuming it uses some sort of low power volatile memory that feeds off the RTC battery.

Another symptom that helps me come to that conclusion is that, when I power off my engine (power off the A119S) the red light does not stay on for a few seconds before power down. This usually indicates a slow discharge from the internal capacitors or RTC battery. Before when it was working fine, I remember (I think) the A119S stayed on for awhile before completely shutting off.

Knowing these are my possible two issues here, what are my options? I like this dashcam, but don't know how I can repair this thing. If I can purchase an RTC battery and replacement it myself, I would. Unfortunately I have no idea where to buy one. I don't want to buy this dashcam again if this issue persists in newer A119S models.

My A119S has an issue where it does NOT remember the date and time settings from when I start my car (powering it on) to when I shut off my car engine (power it off).
I've tried asking Viofo for help, but I've been exchanging emails with them for awhile and I feel it is going nowhere.
Ways I've tried to remedy the issue:
  • Factory Reset
  • Leaving the A119S connecting via microusb on my computer for 24 hours to let it charge the RTC battery
    • This initially fixed the issue for 1 day, then the issue returned
  • Factory Resetting and setting up the time
  • Swapping microSD cards
  • Updating to the latest firmwar
None of these have resolved the issue.
What I believe is the issue:
Dead RTC battery
  • Damaged capacitors
At this point, I am almost convinced RTC battery has lost it's charge which explains why it cannot keep the date and time information stored in the memory. I'm assuming it uses some sort of low power volatile memory that feeds off the RTC battery.

Another symptom that helps me come to that conclusion is that, when I power off my engine (power off the A119S) the red light does not stay on for a few seconds before power down. This usually indicates a slow discharge from the internal capacitors or RTC battery. Before when it was working fine, I remember (I think) the A119S stayed on for awhile before completely shutting off.

Knowing these are my possible two issues here, what are my options? I like this dashcam, but don't know how I can repair this thing. If I can purchase an RTC battery and replacement it myself, I would. Unfortunately I have no idea where to buy one. I don't want to buy this dashcam again if this issue persists in newer A119S models.
The rechargeable Real Time Clock battery only holds a charge for 7-21 days when not used. Your initial troubleshooting was excellent especially powering the A119S indoors for more than 4 hours to trickle charge the RTC. As with all rechargeable batteries there is a limited cycle-life which yours may have reached. The other issue of REC light going out instantly when power is disconnected is a different issue related to SuperCapacitors. If the last recorded dashcam MP4 clip is always corrupted and not viewable on PC this confirms SuperCaps are dead. To prevent corrupt clips select TS Video Format (I prefer MP4) or replace SuperCaps. Suggest you open the backplate and look at silver SuperCap tops to see if bulging or cracked or leaking.

The SuperCapacitors are rated for maximum internal temperature of 70C which can be reached leaving the dashcam mounted in parked vehicle on hot summer day with Parking Mode enabled.
This type of repair requires circuit board removal and ordering parts for old A119S dashcam. All Viofo Dashcams A129 + A119V3 + A119Pro + A119S + A119V2 use the same RTC battery and similar SuperCaps. Replacing the failed components requires some soldering experience and polarity matching. This could be time for Dashcam upgrade.

RTC Battery model# ML621-TZ1
3volt Lithium Rechargeable
5.8 mAh 6.8mm coin with tabs

The rechargeable Real Time Clock battery only holds a charge for 7-21 days when not used. Your initial troubleshooting was excellent especially powering the A119S indoors for more than 4 hours to trickle charge the RTC. As with all rechargeable batteries there is a limited cycle-life which yours may have reached. The other issue of REC light going out instantly when power is disconnected is a different issue related to SuperCapacitors. If the last recorded dashcam MP4 clip is always corrupted and not viewable on PC this confirms SuperCaps are dead. To prevent corrupt clips select TS Video Format (I prefer MP4) or replace SuperCaps. Suggest you open the backplate and look at silver SuperCap tops to see if bulging or cracked or leaking.

The SuperCapacitors are rated for maximum internal temperature of 70C which can be reached leaving the dashcam mounted in parked vehicle on hot summer day with Parking Mode enabled.
This type of repair requires circuit board removal and ordering parts for old A119S dashcam. All Viofo Dashcams A129 + A119V3 + A119Pro + A119S + A119V2 use the same RTC battery and similar SuperCaps. Replacing the failed components requires some soldering experience and polarity matching. This could be time for Dashcam upgrade.

RTC Battery model# ML621-TZ1
3volt Lithium Rechargeable
5.8 mAh 6.8mm coin with tabs

It does seem too keep video recordings in tact when I power it off. I'm going to order the RTC battery and replace it. Thankfully I do have some soldering experience and an soldering iron.

Thanks for providing the battery model. :)

It does seem too keep video recordings in tact when I power it off. I'm going to order the RTC battery and replace it. Thankfully I do have some soldering experience and an soldering iron.

Thanks for providing the battery model. :)
If your REC button led light goes out immediately after unplugging the power, at least one of your caps is likely gone.

Back