I'm on a MAC but this is the first time I recall any mention of renaming a file. I'm am by no means a computer savvy person. Can you tell me just what the name should be? Many thanks!

varies according to which model you have, just rename it to the same name as the original Viofo firmware for your model and it will load

OK, I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.

EDIT: That did it!

Last edited:
I'm on a MAC but this is the first time I recall any mention of renaming a file. I'm am by no means a computer savvy person. Can you tell me just what the name should be? Many thanks!
All Firmware Updates must have the correct name for the device and no other words or numbers in the binary file name. Usually I try to provide complete details for all levels of users to understand but forgot to mention this one important step.
(must rename the binary file from FWA119S_v2.61_24Mbps_Sharp_DICE.bin to FWA119S.bin )
@BCHobbyist

More A119S Modified Firmware uploaded all with default Bit Rates, but different Sharpness levels to compare.
FWA119S_v2.61_defaultMbps-Sharp27_greenDICE.bin
FWA119S_v2.61_defaultMbps-Sharp32_greenDICE.bin (previously known as Sharp20, now values 1-100)
FWA119S_v2.61_defaultMbps-Sharp37_greenDICE.bin
(must RENAME the binary file from FWA119S_v2.61_27Mbps_Sharp32_DICE.bin to FWA119S.bin )

Seeking A119S owners to install and verify functionality,
  1. Flash Update proceeds normally (slow blinks, fast blinks, pause, slow blinks, fast blinks, restarts)
  2. red / green DICE Logo appears.
  3. Menu Firmware Version has changed.
  4. recorded test clips for 1080p@60, 1080p@30 should all be saved in original Mbps.
  5. Sharpness (1-100) has been modified from official 64 down to 37 / 32 / 27 to reduce halo over-sharpening effect.

DOWNLOAD BCHobbyist A119S Modified Firmware : https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html

NOTE: all my BCHobbyist Modified Firmware are not Official Releases. These user created binary files may not work, I am not responsible for any loss or damage, use at your own risk. MOD'ing is the future, just ask the guy that launched his car into space.

A119S is almost unbrickable if you don't flash the BootLoader.
If update fails or is corrupted the BootLoader is still functional.
To restore Dashcam, delete current FW file from memory card then copy official A119S firmware file to SD card then Power-On wait 1 minute.

Last edited:
Whats the default bitrate? (out of curiosity)

Thanks for the modded FW's, ill try it out later today :D

Whats the default bitrate? (out of curiosity)

Thanks for the modded FW's, ill try it out later today :D
A119S default BitRates
1920x1080 @ 60fps = 20Mbps
1920x1080 @30fps = 15Mbps
Modifying both those rates to 20-24 improves the video quality, pushing it near max at 27Mbps is easily noticeable.
My daily driver is set for 1080@30fps with MODs 18, 20, 24Mbps + Sharp 27, 32

A119S default BitRates
1920x1080 @ 60fps = 20Mbps
1920x1080 @30fps = 15Mbps
Modifying both those rates to 20-24 improves the video quality, pushing it near max at 27Mbps is easily noticeable.
My daily driver is set for 1080@30fps with MODs 18, 20, 24Mbps + Sharp 27, 32

Is the bitrate for your mods the same for both 30fps and 60fps? Since the default FW has different bitrates depending on your choice of fps. Is yours for example 24Mbps for both 30fps and 60fps?

Is the bitrate for your mods the same for both 30fps and 60fps? Since the default FW has different bitrates depending on your choice of fps. Is yours for example 24Mbps for both 30fps and 60fps?
For the A119S the MOD Bitrate applies to both since it can handle up to 28, The A119 & A119PRO at 1080@30fps cannot so limit there is 20.
The 24Mbps rate was borrowed from the default A119 1440P 30fps = 24Mbps. The actual value can be any number, 23,23.5,24.5,26...upto 28. Idea was to bring the A119S image quality up to match A119 by using the same bit rate.

Have used the 27 bitrate / 32 sharpness FW for a couple hours with 1080/60 WDR off, very very pleased with it! difference is immense even though its only 7.5 mbit more, very content with the image quality now, trees and bushes actually look like trees and bushes now instead of a pixelated mess, rarely see any pixelation unless the area is really heavily cluttered and even then its alot better than the standard FW. Outstanding job, thank you very much for your time and effort!

Altough i might up the exposure a notch since the CPL filter makes things a tad darker.

Last edited:
Have used the 27 bitrate / 32 sharpness FW for a couple hours with 1080/60 WDR off, very very pleased with it! difference is immense even though its only 7.5 mbit more, very content with the image quality now, trees and bushes actually look like trees and bushes now instead of a pixelated mess, rarely see any pixelation unless the area is really heavily cluttered and even then its alot better than the standard FW. Outstanding job, thank you very much for your time and effort!

Although i might up the exposure a notch since the CPL filter makes things a tad darker.
Great to hear its improved your 60fps footage. All 1080P based DVRs need a boost to bit rate, as in your case it can result in surprisingly better video image quality. Remember more data flow = more processing = more heat to chipset & microSD card. MODs are flexible so creating 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 26.5Mbps is possible to offset heat stress.
Altering EV (exposure value) is currently our only brightness control, not the best option since it affects motion blurring (raise/lower).
Reduce EValue during day (darken) = reduced motion blur in daytime and reduced motion blur at night. (shorter Exposure)
Increase EValue during day (brighten) = increased motion blur in daytime and increased motion blur at night. (longer Exposure)

When I locate the major Image Quality Control functions, altering the image won't have a down side.

I have a feeling I won't be running the 27/27.5 mods much longer (for the rest of summer at least). The picture quality is so much better, but I feel the camera might fail in this weather. I've been switching between these 2 mods, using them at 1080p@60fps WDR on and the cam stays quite hot to the touch. Today, there's a heat warning for 37ºC/99ºF and sun all day. That kind of heat, sun blaring down on it all day, and maxed out video recording, makes me think this thing is going to melt.

Running unofficial firmware that cranks the bitrate up too high + summer heat isn't a good idea. (can easily put everything above rated/tested temp specs)

Running unofficial firmware that cranks the bitrate up too high + summer heat isn't a good idea. (can easily put everything above rated/tested temp specs)
agreed, high Bitrates will stress the hardware more, but...
loading modified firmware with default bit rate and improved Sharpness during summer days is better.

Reactions: gse

Yeah, that's my concern as well. It's just unfortunate that outside of the bitrate, the settings used in the official VIOFO firmware are terrible. They can't seriously look at their videos and think that looks proper.

It's just unfortunate that outside of the bitrate, the settings used in the official VIOFO firmware are terrible. They can't seriously look at their videos and think that looks proper.
The processor has a power reserve, it does an excellent job of it. I use the firmware for a long time with an increased bitrate (28 MB), and there are no problems. Manufacturer DVR will limit the firmware, which will ensure the stable operation of DVR.
This is the same as in cars, you can sew your engine, gearbox, put the turbine, BUT, the official manufacturer is not responsible for the installation on the car tuning.

Everything you do with your registrar, you do at your own peril and risk.
The Roma owners are not responsible and pritenzii not accepted.

This minor modification to Sound recording quality reveals a tiny segment of whats inside a Firmware binary file using a HEX Editor. The "44 AC 00 00" contain the new data for 44.1kHz Sound quality.

a7c9c49f9705b83c3ff2c67cafc965df.jpg

The purpose of this MOD is to increase Sound Recording sample rate from 32kHz to 44.1kHz 16 bit depth for CD quality. Don't expect much from the 1-channel tiny microphone in the DVR. Consider this more of an instructional moment while waiting for someone to gain access to Contrast, Saturation, Brightness. It's included with all other MODs on my BCHobbyist A119S Firmware Drive https://drive.google.com/open?id=12fZcd7vuglroUOsL0lHClORbclbXQqLv
Thanks to @vvs49 and @gse for sharing this data location.

Code:
AUDIO Data        Default         Modified
Format/Info       : AAC           : Advanced Audio Codec
Bit rate mode     : Variable      : Variable
Bit rate          : 96.0 kb/s     : 112 kb/s
Channel(s)        : 1 channel     : 1 channel
Channel positions : Front: C      : Front: C
Sampling rate     : 32.0 kHz      : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate        : 31.250 FPS    : 43.066 FPS

The processor has a power reserve, it does an excellent job of it. I use the firmware for a long time with an increased bitrate (28 MB), and there are no problems. Manufacturer DVR will limit the firmware, which will ensure the stable operation of DVR.
This is the same as in cars, you can sew your engine, gearbox, put the turbine, BUT, the official manufacturer is not responsible for the installation on the car tuning.

Everything you do with your registrar, you do at your own peril and risk.
The Roma owners are not responsible and pritenzii not accepted.

That's true, I'm just concerned about high summer heat, high sun shine, and continuous recording at max. All of it together might push it beyond the designed limits of just the ability to record at 28Mbps. I know the camera is easily capable of it, but was it designed to do so permanently? I mean viofo is disabling almost 1/3 of the performance of the camera.

Using a car analogy :), if a car can do 200mph@6000rpm, would you always drive it at that speed and rpm because it technically can do it? I know why viofo is dropping the bitrate down, for longevity and stable operation. I just think they dropped the bitrate down too much and also have video settings that are just wrong. 1080p should not be this pixelated, grainy, or washed out where detail suffers.

Would you be willing to create a 25Mbps sharp20 FW? I think that would be perfect. It is quite a way from being maxed out, but it is a good jump over default.

Last edited:
That's true, I'm just concerned about high summer heat, high sun shine, and continuous recording at max. All of it together might push it beyond the designed limits of just the ability to record at 28Mbps. I know the camera is easily capable of it, but was it designed to do so permanently? I mean viofo is disabling almost 1/3 of the performance of the camera.

Using a car analogy :), if a car can do 200mph@6000rpm, would you always drive it at that speed and rpm because it technically can do it? I know why viofo is dropping the bitrate down, for longevity and stable operation. I just think they dropped the bitrate down too much and also have video settings that are just wrong. 1080p should not be this pixelated, grainy, or washed out where detail suffers.

Would you be willing to create a 25Mbps sharp20 FW? I think that would be perfect. It is quite a way from being maxed out, but it is a good jump over default.
Creating Custom MODs is becoming easier, pick your preferences, download it from my online Drive folder Stable MODs.
A119S MODs https://drive.google.com/open?id=12fZcd7vuglroUOsL0lHClORbclbXQqLv

Your Selection of A119S v2.61 > 1080@60fps = 25Mbps + 1080@30fps = 25Mbps + Sharp32 has been tested and stable .

BCHobbyist will build your Custom A119PRO, A119, A119S, A129 Firmware MOD
select Bit Rate = default or 27 - 15
select Sharpness = default64 or 48, 37, 32, 27, 16
select Edge Detection = default128 or 28-low, 68-med, 168-high, 228-max <<<<< MOD added Aug 16
select Firmware Menu Date & Version = default or for fun
select Sound Quality = default or 44.1kHz CD quality
select Logo = default or 320x240 text or graphic JPG
Send MOD Requests by clicking my DashCamTalk Avatar to Start private Conversation, Contact me on BCHobbyist YouTube Channel.

(the original 20 is HEX value scale changed to 1-100 integer value to reduce confusion since lower than 20HEX becomes 1BHEX)
(default Sharpness = 64 >> MODs = 48 , 37 , 32=20HEX , 27 , 16 )
The DICE Logo was added to demonstrate images can be used, and separate MOD'ed from official.

I'm working with @gse to verify our MODs are stable, but we don't own A119 or A119PRO so ask owners to report issues for correction. Our small group of MOD testers is growing, to cover all models, understanding the Flash Update and Recovery Procedure is required. Very soon more MODs will be available.

Last edited:
Creating Custom MODs is becoming easier, pick your preferences, download it from my online Drive (link above). The DICE Logo was added to demonstrate images can be used, and separate MOD'ed from official.

Your Selection of A119S v2.61 > 1080@60fps = 25Mbps + 1080@30fps = 25Mbps + Sharp32 has been tested and stable // default Logo? custom FW version number and date? //

(the original 20 is HEX value scale changed to 1-100 integer value to reduce confusion since lower than 20HEX becomes 1BHEX)
(default Sharpness = 64 >> MODs = 48 , 37 , 32=20HEX , 27 , 16 )

I'm working with @gse to verify our MODs are stable, but we don't own A119 or A119PRO so ask owners to report issues for correction. Our small group of MOD testers is growing, to cover all models, understanding the Flash Update and Recovery Procedure is required. Very soon more MODs will be available.

I wouldn't trust myself with any type of modifications or programming. I can barely get my email passwords right the first time.

I wouldn't trust myself with any type of modifications or programming. I can barely get my email passwords right the first time.
I'll build it for you and others to demonstrate it works in any combination, you then test for function and stability.
updated:
Your Selection of A119S v2.61 > 1080@60fps = 25Mbps + 1080@30fps = 25Mbps + Sharp32 has been created.
Download it from my online Drive folder (( Stable MODs ))
A119S MODs https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a119s-mod-file.html

Last edited:
Back