A119S Issues. Anyone else?

packrat1969

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I recently (May) purchased a VIOFO A119 w/GPS and have several questions/issues concerning the camera.

1) When I first installed the camera, the LCD screen seemed much brighter than is does now. I installed the camera in daylight, but didn't really use it until later that evening. At the time, I wasn't worried about it as I was driving at night, and I honestly expected there to be a screen brightness control in the software/menu. After it ran for a week or so, I went looking during daylight hours and I could find nothing to adjust. Am I mistaken about there being no brightness control? I have the screen blanking function set for 1 minute, and I can see the camera working, but it is difficult to see screen detail in daylight, unless I get right up to it. I would expect it to be brighter, so I can see detail.

2) Why does the camera keep losing the date and time and other settings? It also seems to get stuck in a mode where the ! (symbol in a triangle) is lit up all the time. As I was new to the camera, I thought I might have messed something up in the settings, but when I went into the menu, but when I went through the setup process again, a lot of the choices I had selected were all wrong. During several of my drives, I had also attempted to write-protect various segments of video manually (near-misses with animals on the highway), but when I checked the folder on the flash drive, none of the segments were saved. I did not press the wrong button. My camera arrives with v1.2 firmware, so I will upgrade it to the latest, reformat the flash, and see if that helps.

3) The camera keeps on falling off the windshield. The adhesive is sticking to the glass (very well!), but seems to eventually peel off the GPS unit's plastic. I suppose I could remove the unit every time I leave the car, but this is such a hassle, and there is a potential issue with the metal contacts on the GPS unit.

4) When I re-mounted the whole unit on the glass a second time, I separated the GPS unit from the camera for the first time. That was when I noticed that one of the metal fingers that provide electrical connections between the GPS and the camera was bent differently than all the others. It is one of the fingers on the end of the row, and if I let it, I think it will get bent even worse than it is now. It will spring straight up, as opposed to being in line with the rest of the contacts. This makes it much more vulnerable to even more damage. Is this intended to be a ground-touch-first situation like it is USB plugs?

As for the camera functions, I am very pleased with the quality and sharpness of the video, especially when the 60Hz setting is used. The Sony image sensor does a great job of capturing video at night, far better than other cameras I have tried. I did expect to get more time out of a 64GB flash, but it is 108oP video, and I can always deal with that later with a larger micro SD card.

Any relevant info/help appreciated.

packrat

1) doesn't sound normal

2)sounds like a bad RTC button battery. Contact your seller for warranty replacement. (You'll need a new camera it's not user replaceable)

3) There is a bad batch of 3M Tape. Try the replacement tape. If that fails contact your seller for replacement tape.

4) Bad GPS mount connection sounds like a bad V1 unit. If you bought from OCD Tronic we will swap your V1 for a new V2 unit.

For any of the reasons above seems you need a new camera under warranty. Contact your seller to make arrangements.

Back