A119S Loses all settings but time when turned off

deepskyguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 2017 edition
I just got this camera...my first dash cam and I went through the menu ans set things like the date/time, speed unit (to mph), WDR, Time Zone, Screen saver..etc. When I remove the USB cable to simulate my car shutting off then plug it back in again all but the date/time settings go back to their defaults. Is this expected behavior or is there someting wrong with this camera?

Thanks.

Try re-flashing the firmware to 1.2 two times in a row. Reset to factory defaults and format the memory card afterwards.

Ya, that's mine. Thanks for your replies. As you may have read I did return the camera as defective. The first tech from Viofo that replied to my ticket nailed it when he said the capacitors in the camera were not doing their job, so the unit had no time to save user settings when powered off. Note I just got a Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 2017 edition unit and it works fine, saves all settings as expected. I really did like the newer sensor in the A119S, but was a bit gun shy about buying another one.

Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but I also noticed the Date and time and my A119S was not set, I rese the date and time and see what happens.

Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but I also noticed the Date and time and my A119S was not set,

Its no fluke as it should be set to standard at the factory............ Until you connect the GPS

I dont have gps option, wasnt clear in my previous post. The A119s lost date and time, i had already set it once before. I think it could have been related to the usb 90 degree adaptor power after market item causing this, we'll see. As ive now using the factory usb power cable with nothing in between.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

When I remove the USB cable to simulate my car shutting off then plug it back in again all but the date/time settings go back to their defaults.
the same thing happened to my A119 after updating the firmware to v.2.05. might be the firmware. will check both cameras tomorrow.

when the next day or in 2 days I was about to drive I noticed (at that time I had only my front camera firmware updated) that the screen saver doesn't start as usual and I always have it set to 15sec, then I noticed the led on a REC button lit, and I always have the "Led" Off, so I went into a menu and discovered that a screen saver set to 1 min, beeps "On", like I never had it set to my preferences. and I reset the settings to Default after firmware update and configured all the settings. and 2-3 days later I updated the firmware on my rear camera. I'll be driving tomorrow and check both cameras. :)
if my rear camera has the default settings I'll just downgrade the firmware back to v.2.02, not a big deal. :)
and both cameras mounted on GPS units.

when the next day or in 2 days I was about to drive I noticed (at that time I had only my front camera firmware updated) that the screen saver doesn't start as usual and I always have it set to 15sec, then I noticed the led on a REC button lit, and I always have the "Led" Off, so I went into a menu and discovered that a screen saver set to 1 min, beeps "On", like I never had it set to my preferences. and I reset the settings to Default after firmware update and configured all the settings. and 2-3 days later I updated the firmware on my rear camera. I'll be driving tomorrow and check both cameras. :)
if my rear camera has the default settings I'll just downgrade the firmware back to v.2.02, not a big deal. :)
and both cameras mounted on GPS units.
I havent updated the a119s firmware yet.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

good news! my A119's keep my settings after firmware upgrade to v.2.05. :)

Hi guys, I just bought this dashcam last month. Everything works perfectly but recently it loses its settings.
At first it would not save the resolution (change from 1080p 60fps to 1080p 30fps) and WDR (change from off to on). I thought there was a bug in the latest firmware (1.7) or something. I re-flashed it twice and resetted to default settings. After that it became worst, it would not save all the settings except time/date.
The only way to save all the settings is that you have to power it off manually (hold the power on/off button). Then all the setting will stay. I noticed too that the rec button usually stays for few seconds after shutting off the car. But now it was off right away. I was using stock usb cable and stock power adapter. I also tried other usb cables. Is the capacitor blown up?

Last edited:
Sounds like a capacitor fault if lights go out immediately, that's unrelated to saving the settings though so there may be some other issue that is the root cause of the problem

Talk to the seller about getting it replaced under warranty

Back