Last video clip file corruption Fix
Common issue when VIOFO Dashcam isn't used for 14-21 days if SuperCapacitors have failed and require replacement if memory card is removed while red REC button is still lit.
Suggest connecting A119/P/S to 5 volt smartphone/tablet charger indoors for 1 hour allowing it to record video on memory card, enable Parking Mode for testing to save storage space. The point is to allow Capacitors and tiny RTC battery to charge (RTC normally takes 4 hours). After that power cycle dashcam by disconnecting power cable waiting 12 seconds then reconnecting power cable.
Remember to watch the REC button light to see if its staying on 4-6 seconds longer after disconnecting power cable.
Always wait 5 seconds for red REC button light to go off before ejecting or inserting microSD memory card.
I know that and my Dashcam is working almost every day.
But thank you for the hint.

I think your lens is most suited to the Strong setting as it makes the detail much better and a pop to the image.

Would you recommend me using MOD 2Vg? I dont have CPL with my A119s
Good selection 2Vg works well, for those wanting to safely (with zero risk) try my MODs always start with lowest Bitrates to see how stable they are and use smaller file sizes.
Upon Request will create modified firmware using default VIOFO Bitrates but include all other adjustments by DCTeam.

On parking lot the strong looks a bit too much (some halo, but not too bad), I'd prefer the normal.
On highway the strong looks more detailed then normal.
Overall I think the strong is more preferable, as we all look for more details.
Another suggestion, I would try the 6Vh or 6Vg for more crisp (assuming it's not very hot in Germany, and the file size difference is not that big).

Good selection 2Vg works well, for those wanting to safely (with zero risk) try my MODs always start with lowest Bitrates to see how stable they are and use smaller file sizes.
Upon Request will create modified firmware using default VIOFO Bitrates but include all other adjustments by DCTeam.

I was thinking, the camera located inside the car, and it operates when the engine is running (unless the parking mode is active), and most likely AC is on.
Even with the high bitrate the camera components will not get very hot instantly (the difference with VIOFO FW and 26 mbps MOD shouldn't be big anyways).
It takes AC several minutes to lower the temperature inside the car, and eventually inside the camera.
I don't think it might affect the system stability in such a short time (the max working camera temp 65C -149F, the memory card max temperatures is even higher).

It's just a theory, don't try this at home :)

FIRMWARE: FWA119S_MOD-6Vg_v4.02+26Mbps+Sharp506070C+Sharp160B+Edge130+Sat110B+Sat20A+DCTeam

MENU Configuration:
  1. Resoution = 1920x1080P 60fps
  2. Loop Recording = 1 min
  3. Video Format = MP4
  4. Exposure = 0
  5. WDR = Off
  6. Sharpness = Soft/Norm/Sharp
  7. Parking Mode = Off
  8. Time-Lapse Recording = Off
  9. Motion Detection = Off
  10. GPS = On
  11. Speed Unit = MPH
  12. G-Sensor = Off
  13. LDWS = Off
  14. FCWS = Off
  15. Date Stamp = On
  16. GPSInfo Stamp = All Info
  17. Camera Model Stamp = On
  18. Record Audio = Off
  19. Boot Delay = 5 sec
  20. LED = On
  21. Date/Time = mm/dd/yy
  22. Time Zone = -6 or (-5/w dst)
  23. Language = English
  24. Beep Sound = On
  25. Frequency = 60Mhz
  26. Image Rotation = Off
  27. Format
  28. Format Warning = Off
  29. Car Number = L1 or L2 and Sharpness Setting
  30. Custom Text Stamp = BLKCLD
  31. Firmware Version = FWA119S_MOD-6Vg_v4.02+26Mbps+Sharp506070C+Sharp160B+Edge130+Sat110B+Sat20A+DCTeam
Here is My 6Vg Mod Folder. Sub folders include Lens 1 and Lens 2 each containing or will contain (Soft | Norm | Sharp) Folders.
As of This posting I have only added "NORM" Clips I will post again when I add other clips in the Soft and Sharp settings

Just Added "SOFT" Clips. The next few days are supposed to be very rainy and cloudy so It might be a few days before we seen the sun again. :(

Here is My 6Vg Mod Folder. Sub folders include Lens 1 and Lens 2 each containing or will contain (Soft | Norm | Sharp) Folders.

Thanks for the Stable 4Vg sharpness comparisons, your Lens2 works well with Soft level for most realistic quality, normal is also great and strong make everything pop with halo side effect.
Going to request the DCTeam to collect specific footage for next Project, check your Forum Inbox daily and don't forget to click "show all" at bottom to be sure you haven't missed any messages.

Hi all, I've ordered my 119s and have been reading plenty of posts. Should I install one of the modded firmwares straight away, and if so, do I just install and run 'as is' or adjust the settings to see what I find best? Thanks

I was thinking, the camera located inside the car, and it operates when the engine is running (unless the parking mode is active), and most likely AC is on.
Even with the high bitrate the camera components will not get very hot instantly (the difference with VIOFO FW and 26 mbps MOD shouldn't be big anyways).
It takes AC several minutes to lower the temperature inside the car, and eventually inside the camera.
I don't think it might affect the system stability in such a short time (the max working camera temp 65C -149F, the memory card max temperatures is even higher).

It's just a theory, don't try this at home :)
The over-heating issue is common with other brands especially when Wifi is enabled. As @gse has proven the A119S can handle 28Mbps for months with no issues. The concern is for owners in hot regions, I wouldn't recommend using 28Mbps in Australia or Arizona in the summer. The addition of 5-20C chipset heat plus direct sun could easily reduce the life of all components especially the SuperCapacitors which are rated for max 70C, anything over reduces life to few 100's hours. As with any device heat reduces the lifespan of components so thermal cooling designs are very important. When any Dashcam has few vents or in the wrong places expect problems even using stock FW in a parked car under direct sun all day even if its powered off. Convection cooling is the most effective to draw cooler air from bottom of Dashcam case using smaller vents then flow out the top as air heats up inside rising to exit through larger top vents. How many Dashcam have that design... few. Guess what my next summer DIY video will be using knife, iron, dremel and torch?

Hi all, I've ordered my 119s and have been reading plenty of posts. Should I install one of the modded firmwares straight away, and if so, do I just install and run 'as is' or adjust the settings to see what I find best? Thanks
The new Dashcam will probably have older version Firmware which should be used for first few days to record and archive the footage for later comparisons or warranty claims. Always open the Settings Menu to set Date/Time & Zone, leave the other settings at Default until you gain experience and watch more videos. Next everyone should install the newest stock/official VIOFO Firmware version and record sample footage. If you find the Stock image quality lacking try our newest Stable Modified Firmware once you know how to update FW successfully. More details are on Post#1 of this thread.

I would run the camera on stock firmware and get use to the menu system/buttons and settings locations first. Secondly is to study the footage carefully to see how your lens performs. Now consider if you need or want to risk upgrading the firmware as there is always a risk when you do so.

I've been wanting to get some good footage but it's been cloudy so I'll at least contribute something. I decided to test WDR on and off in overcast conditions to see how it behaved. Firmware is "old" now. Stop pushing them out so fast!! haha.... Time to upgrade yet again.

WDR On
WDR Off

I've been wanting to get some good footage but it's been cloudy so I'll at least contribute something. I decided to test WDR on and off in overcast conditions to see how it behaved. Firmware is "old" now. Stop pushing them out so fast!! haha.... Time to upgrade yet again.

WDR On
WDR Off

I see no difference.
The difference might be more obvious at night. As far as I remember WDR makes the image a bit brighter.

I see no difference.
I don't either. I thought with WDR on that the license plates would be slightly more blurry but to my surprise they weren't.

Alright, finally had a couple of hours of sunlight today, so I was able to get some video from both 6Vg and 6Vh. The places aren't very exciting though, but you should hopefully be able to see the slight difference in the warmth and colours.

1080p@30fps + CPL + WDR 0ff + 60Hz + Soft Sharpness + EV 0

6Vg
Daytime 1
Daytime 2
Car Wash

6Vg.jpg
6Vg - Daytime.jpg

6Vh
Daytime 1
Daytime 2
Daytime 3

6Vh - Daytime.jpg
6Vh 2.jpg

So I still prefer the saturation and warmer image of 6Vh, but both look very good. What I'm noticing now though, since I had some sunlight to see things better, I think is an issue with edge detection? I don't think sharpness needs to drop down further for soft with my lens 2. In every clip, there are visible jagged edges on basically all lines, unless it's 100% vertical or horizontal. The outlines of cars, hoods, trunks, lights, lights poles, wires, buildings, etc. You can see it in the photos as well, at stand still. The car wash one is very apparent when the horizontal sprayers move up and down. The video with the jeep shows it quite clearly as well. Other than that though, I really like both 6Vh/6Vg.

I see no difference.
The difference might be more obvious at night. As far as I remember WDR makes the image a bit brighter.
WDR only brightens scene if more than half the image is dark and also will decrease brightness is more than half the scene is over exposed. On normal balanced daytime footage it makes no changes. The downside to using WDR is the added motion blur after removing 3 frames from each second, 30fps drops to 27 which isn't a good idea at night.

Alright, finally had a couple of hours of sunlight today, so I was able to get some video from both 6Vg and 6Vh. The places aren't very exciting though, but you should hopefully be able to see the slight difference in the warmth and colours.

1080p@30fps + CPL + WDR 0ff + 60Hz + Soft Sharpness + EV 0

6Vg
Daytime 1
Daytime 2
Car Wash

View attachment 43479
View attachment 43480

6Vh
Daytime 1
Daytime 2
Daytime 3

View attachment 43481
View attachment 43482

So I still prefer the saturation and warmer image of 6Vh, but both look very good. What I'm noticing now though, since I had some sunlight to see things better, I think is an issue with edge detection? I don't think sharpness needs to drop down further for soft with my lens 2. In every clip, there are visible jagged edges on basically all lines, unless it's 100% vertical or horizontal. The outlines of cars, hoods, trunks, lights, lights poles, wires, buildings, etc. You can see it in the photos as well, at stand still. The car wash one is very apparent when the horizontal sprayers move up and down. The video with the jeep shows it quite clearly as well. Other than that though, I really like both 6Vh/6Vg.
Excellent Stable MOD 6Vg vs 6Vh comparison, your IQ Assessment is also excellent. Since the DCTeam pushes for best Image Quality we must be more observant and critical of minor image details. In the many dozens of A119S MODs we all tested higher levels of Edge Detection values, they work in conjunction with Sharpness value. The dry data is posted in my ChangeLogs as values which you all know. The new Stable 6Vg and 6Vh both use the same Sharpness and Edge values but the Edge is only 2 points higher than default and *shouldn't* cause the jagged edge outline, that's usually from sharpness value.

Both 6Vg and 6Vh have specially adjusted Soft Sharpness levels which raise this level so its not too low. The 140degree wide angle Lens2 has very sharp focus and works best with almost zero Menu Sharpness option. This caused me much delay in determining the most acceptable Sharpness table values for all Lens 1 and Lens 2 owners. The value adjustment @Caerus is proposing is 1-2 points of 255 scale in 4 tables and only detectable in bright full sun as shown in his excellent static samples at Car Wash. The jagged edge outline on video clip can also be caused my rapid movement and motion blur causing a tearing effect, this is why static (no motion) full resolution photos are needed to confirm IQ issues.

I accept this challenge to find the ultimate Lens2 Soft Sharpness value, and now I must schedule a long session with my psychiatrist who threw me out last time saying VIOFO is bad on the brain, of course I went straight to the Pub, Bartenders are more agreeable, thanks for the Pint @Tractor !

I think its a little bit dark

Back