A119S motion detection range

IMASA

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had a Matego MG800 mirror style dash camera. When my car is parked in my underground parkade, I use it as a security camera by turning on the motion detection and using 20000mah USB battery packs. The motion detection range on the MG800 is great because it can pick up motion 2-3 car lengths ahead. There is a entrance door 3 car lengths ahead of where my car is parked and the MG800 can record people coming in or breaking in via the door.

Well, my MG800 died and I bought a A119 to replace it. Turns out the A119's motion detection range is pretty crappy compared to the MG800. It's like 1-1.5 car lengths and slower to turn on the camera to record.

I see that the A119S uses a Sony sensor and was wondering if someone could check what their motion detection range is for the A119S. I want to know what is the farthest distance from the camera that would trigger it to record when motion detection is activated.

If it's the same as the A119, then I guess I'll just keep the A119 and use it with time lapse enabled.

Thanks!

The motion detection sensitivity can be adjusted by firmware.
Also we are planning to improve the parking mode feature in future.

@viofo: "The motion detection sensitivity can be adjusted by firmware. Also we are planning to improve the parking mode feature in future."

I did not find an adjustment for optical motion detection sensitivity in firmware 1.2. Are you thinking of "G-force" detection?

Summary:

The A119S works well, but I would prefer to reduce the sensitivity of its Motion Detection to work a bit closer to the A118C, or if possible, more like the Genius DVR-FHD590.

The Best Optical Motion Detection System:

The best Optical Motion Detection function I have tried was on the Genius DVR-FHD590. The DVR-FHD590 would store recorded data occurring before it saw enough motion to cause it to "trigger". Compared to the A118C, the A118C sometimes records short "blank" action clips where whatever caused the trigger was already gone. A car might pass in front of it, and that might be enough motion to start it to record, but the car was already gone as the recording begins, so the recording does not show what caused the recording. The DVR-FHD590 would start the file by saving the "pre-recorded" material. It rarely saved a file that did not show what caused the recording.

The DVR-FHD590 "trigger" setting was sensitive enough to record some events that the A118C missed completely (ie, the A118C would not record anything in the same situation whereas the DVR-FHD590 would record a short clip, and because of its "pre-recording" design, it almost always captured the object/motion that caused it).

This was also true in outdoor daylight parking situations. The DVR-FHD590's motion detection was about perfect for my purposes.

@viofo: "The motion detection sensitivity can be adjusted by firmware. Also we are planning to improve the parking mode feature in future."

I did not find an adjustment for optical motion detection sensitivity in firmware 1.2. Are you thinking of "G-force" detection?

Summary:

The A119S works well, but I would prefer to reduce the sensitivity of its Motion Detection to work a bit closer to the A118C, or if possible, more like the Genius DVR-FHD590.

The Best Optical Motion Detection System:

The best Optical Motion Detection function I have tried was on the Genius DVR-FHD590. The DVR-FHD590 would store recorded data occurring before it saw enough motion to cause it to "trigger". Compared to the A118C, the A118C sometimes records short "blank" action clips where whatever caused the trigger was already gone. A car might pass in front of it, and that might be enough motion to start it to record, but the car was already gone as the recording begins, so the recording does not show what caused the recording. The DVR-FHD590 would start the file by saving the "pre-recorded" material. It rarely saved a file that did not show what caused the recording.

The DVR-FHD590 "trigger" setting was sensitive enough to record some events that the A118C missed completely (ie, the A118C would not record anything in the same situation whereas the DVR-FHD590 would record a short clip, and because of its "pre-recording" design, it almost always captured the object/motion that caused it).

This was also true in outdoor daylight parking situations. The DVR-FHD590's motion detection was about perfect for my purposes.
Viofo was saying that THEY can adjust it in the firmware, not that they were going to have an option for the user to adjust it.
As far as motion detection, maybe your thinking for pre-buffered parking mode?

Back