A119S Plastic Lens Holder vs A129 Metal Lens Holder

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
Recently it has been reported by others all A119S Dashcams use plastic Lens holders glued to sensor board. During hot weather these plastic holders suffer thermal expansion resulting in focus drift noticed by center being slightly blurry on hot days. The first version of A119S used metal holders, most had offset barrels shifting entire image right creating the 'blurry on the left' issue which was solved by replacing defective metal holders with new cheaper correctly aligned plastic holders we use today, but created a focus issue.
NOTE: this is what the A119Pro can do, please protect your eyes when viewing the RAW footage, you have been warned!
A119Pro eye strain: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/firmware-119pro.33752/post-424548
A119S MOD-07&05 World Tour: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119s-firmwares.31430/post-424284

Q: How is VIOFO doing IQ Beta Testing?
A: unknown until 17 days ago when I took over the position with my MODs without VIOFOs knowledge, without payment, reward, gifts. My MODs will continue with or without VIOFO official recognition. It would be helpful to have full product line hardware for testing sent to Squad of dedicated Hobbyists World wide, all contributing and creating product excitement, in an effective and organized public manner (no secrets). I provide End User/Owners with support and options so they can improve and enjoy their VIOFO products today and not wait 6 months for IQ improvements. To continue my work I require Firmware offset locations for the following data tables: Saturation, Contrast, White Balance, Brightness, Gamma and related image controls. Its always better working for the same Team. You know how to contact me, or view my ReadMe & ChangeLogs.
A119S Modified Firmware= https://drive.google.com/open?id=12fZcd7vuglroUOsL0lHClORbclbXQqLv
A119 Modified Firmware https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d47InQ8qHSkZCgVfxersR1gflsd3hQTN
A119PRO Modified Firmware https://drive.google.com/open?id=13l_iCWCDkfbS895arQXlRJZNu64sCtS1
A129DUO Modified Firmware https://drive.google.com/open?id=19l3yGyvkrRZMiyRBJVw7oGCFUcNWheYa

The new A129 has metal Lens holder which isn't affected by thermal expansion or focus shift. (need photo please) For owners interested in upgrading their A119S plastic Lens holders an option to buy metal holders from VIOFO would be ideal. Its understandable both owners and VIOFO do not recommend dismantling the Lens module or getting as close to the Sony sensor as required for the job. For some Hobbyists and Experts this is no problem and an opportunity for VIOFO to test metal holders on older products by selling them to enthusiasts. The new A129 Lens looks larger and probably has different holder size not suitable for A119S or other models. As shown in photos below and my Avatar the sensor board has surface components packed way too close to the holder edges limiting the size of holder base. Extreme care is needed not to break those tiny components and the main reason no one wants to change Lens holders, but many owners are up to the challenge. Removing the glue can be done without damage as shown before and after.
If anyone knows were to order the same holders VIOFO uses in these DVRs let me know, I'd like to buy some today.
Q: can the A129 F1.6 Lens + Sensor board module be swapped with A119S Lens module? If so, is that A129 Lens module orderable from VIOFO as an A119S upgrade without risk of removing holder manually?
Q: has anyone been sent 'sample' A119S metal Lens holder modules for testing?
Q: anyone know the name of metal holder supplier and exact holder size specs for ordering?
Q: anyone have any photos of their A129 metal Lens assembly after removing the plastic housing shell?
Q: anyone have front and side photos identifying F1.6 F1.8 F2.0... the 3 or 4 different Lens used in the A119S?

52cc8c4e34a3e3e5f02005433cf221d8.jpg

233867c8f063aa01bf9262a2d57abf6d.jpg

Last edited:
The new A129 Lens looks larger and probably has different holder size not suitable for A119S or other models.
The housing of the matrix A129 does not differ from the A119S, like the matrix board itself, the metal lens holders are identical. Lenses are the same size, otherwise it would be impossible to insert them into the body of the "head" A129/А119S

Q: can the A129 F1.6 Lens + Sensor board module be swapped with A119S Lens module? If so, is that A129 Lens module orderable from VIOFO as an A119S upgrade without risk of removing holder manually?
We need to check or wait for a response from Viofo, although 99.9% are interchangeable.

Q: anyone have any photos of their A129 metal Lens assembly after removing the plastic housing shell?
55.jpg

Q: anyone have front and side photos identifying F1.6 F1.8 F2.0... the 3 or 4 different Lens used in the A119S?
F1.6 / F1.8
IMG_20180726_202746.jpg

Last edited:
The condensed version of this fiasco is as follows:
VIOFO creates new A119S Dashcam in Aug 2016, releases to public Nov-Dec 2016, Vendors start selling Jan - Feb 2017.
Reports are made about 'blurry-on-left'. No official announcement or recall made. July 2017 all original metal Lens holders are replaced with plastic to fix the original off-center defective metal bases.
Reports are made about 'soft-focus' at center. No official announcement or recall made. Jan 2018 all plastic Lens holders are replaced with metal holders to fix the first failed fix.
Owners aren't being offered the second improved Lens & metal base, when asked to purchase same for DIY repairs no response is given.
No Vendors are offering the improved A129 Lens & metal base, or the metal base alone (not sure older F1.6 & F1.8 Lens will fit).

Thanks for the summary BCHobbyist. If Viofo wants to send me out a new lens, I have a A119S that is pretty much a paper weight because the image is so out of focus.

Back