A119s pretty nice at night time?

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front A119 , Rear A119S v1
I did my first night drive last night, rear cam out of back window. I dont think it looks that good at all to be honest. Also, noticed from my other day time recordings the third right side of the footage is out of focus compared to the rest. I should have stuck to my gut feelings and just got another A119 similar to my front one. I could have lived with the over sharpening, perhaps even the focus issue, but then the poor night recording with hot pixels present on dark images , the hot pixels are also present alot on day footage. Not to be confused with the grain on the night time videos.
I doubt Im gonna resend this one back to Adorama again, the first one had a capacitor failure out of the box and would shut down instantly when truck was off. DOA. This must be the relative norm for this model.

@ Limeybastard,
A question: what do you expect from a camera in this price class? I find your complaints completely overprinted! Even very expensive cameras have under your conditions, how you make them big problems! In almost darkness is no camera in the situation daylight to record! This is not a night vision device as with the military, which is still infrared supported.
In your videos I can also recognize only a few hot pixel.ich had already several different cameras, the 119s is so far the best at night, you expect too much, I think.

@ Limeybastard,
A question: what do you expect from a camera in this price class? I find your complaints completely overprinted! Even very expensive cameras have under your conditions, how you make them big problems! In almost darkness is no camera in the situation daylight to record! This is not a night vision device as with the military, which is still infrared supported.
In your videos I can also recognize only a few hot pixel.ich had already several different cameras, the 119s is so far the best at night, you expect too much, I think.
I agree. Not arguing that. Reference what i expect statement.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

Your tail lights are actually bright enough to light up the road somewhat, I'd be pretty pleased with that! My last rear camera (the CF-100 rear cam) would have seen complete blackness over the entire frame with no other light sources around. I imagine most other cameras would be similar.

For hot pixels, I'm sure I've read somewhere they can be fixed somehow, might be worth looking into.

Are these your first dashcams or have you had others? I remember having unrealistic expectations myself when I bought my first, I soon got used to the way things are though. I think at the time, 1080p = blu-ray was in my mind, but dashcams are not the stuff of movies. Not yet at least. :spiderman:

Auto calibration is being looked into and should be included in a future firmware once it's sorted. (so you'll need to live with a few hot pixels for now)

Your tail lights are actually bright enough to light up the road somewhat, I'd be pretty pleased with that! My last rear camera (the CF-100 rear cam) would have seen complete blackness over the entire frame with no other light sources around. I imagine most other cameras would be similar.

For hot pixels, I'm sure I've read somewhere they can be fixed somehow, might be worth looking into.

Are these your first dashcams or have you had others? I remember having unrealistic expectations myself when I bought my first, I soon got used to the way things are though. I think at the time, 1080p = blu-ray was in my mind, but dashcams are not the stuff of movies. Not yet at least. :spiderman:
Yeah i noticed that also, almost as if rear fog lights were present and on which incidently don't have them on this vehicle. Meaning no back fogs .

This is my second dashcam, first one being the front non gps viofo a119 that I've been using well for over 7 months.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

I agree with what other posters have said. The camera is functioning as well as can be expected in poor lighting conditions for a $100 camera. If you were rear-ended the camera would definitely capture that.

I too have the hot pixels. While annoying, they do not affect the main function of this type of camera... to document what happened in an accident.

The videos that have more ambient lighting in them seem pretty good to me. I bet if you put the a119 in the back window and compared a video recorded on the same route you took, chances are the the a119S would be a bit better. I personally would like to see that comparison!

@Horsepow3r - If you play both videos at the same time you can do a side by side comparison. I didn't think there was much difference with the A119s until I put the A119 next to it and shot these videos tonight. As you can see, the A119S performs quite a bit better at night. I forgot to take off the CPL filter on the A119S. I think the video at night would have been even a little better without the CPL filter installed. The A119 did not have a CPL filter. Both cams had WDR turned on.

A119 video:

A119s video:

I don't see any difference between the two... Maybe the WDR off is actually a little brighter which is the opposite I would expect. Video taken of same route with WDR off and then WDR on. No CPL filter.

WDR Off:

WDR On:

I'm not sure that WDR can help at night
it would be nice to get WDR OFF at night automatically - IMHO

Back