A119S screensaver not kicking in

stian

Reaction score
Country
Norway
My A119S is always on. I have a battery bank connected to my cigarette port, then the usb cable from the a119s is connected to the battery bank. That way the camera pretty much always has power.

The problem: I always have motion detection on. This has provided no problems at all, except for one. When I'm driving and the camera is recording, the screensaver works and the screen goes black as it should. However when parked and not recording, the screen stays on indefinitely. It seems like the screensaver only works when recording. Is it supposed to be like this?

My A119S is always on. I have a battery bank connected to my cigarette port, then the usb cable from the a119s is connected to the battery bank. That way the camera pretty much always has power.

The problem: I always have motion detection on. This has provided no problems at all, except for one. When I'm driving and the camera is recording, the screensaver works and the screen goes black as it should. However when parked and not recording, the screen stays on indefinitely. It seems like the screensaver only works when recording. Is it supposed to be like this?
I believe Viofo is aware of the issue and will fix it in a firmware update.

As of the 1.7 firmware (latest at time of writing), this issue still persists. I'm just wondering if this is true for others as well? Thanks

As of the 1.7 firmware (latest at time of writing), this issue still persists. I'm just wondering if this is true for others as well? Thanks
The issue is fixed in A119 Beta firmware V3.1B. It's my understanding that many of the V3.1B fixes/new features (where applicable) will eventually be applied to the A119S once the A119 Beta testing is completed.

Aha, I didn't know there was a public beta available. Is it considered stable to daily drive?

Edit: Just realised you mentioned that the v3.1b was for the A119 and not the A119S, sorry

I am having issues with the screen saver on my A119S too:
  • Sometimes it turns off
  • Sometimes it stays on
  • Sometimes it dims
  • When it dims it's varying levels of dimness
  • Sometimes it'll be off and come on automatically
No issues with recording however, it's just the screen. So this is just a firmware bug?

Aha, I didn't know there was a public beta available. Is it considered stable to daily drive?

Edit: Just realised you mentioned that the V3.1B was for the A119 and not the A119S, sorry
I've found the screensaver issue in Motion Detection mode to be resolved and stable in the A119. {Edit 2: When recording, once screensaver turns the LCD off, it stays off until any button is pressed or the Event (emergency) recording is activated by a G-sensor trigger. Screensaver remains active except when the REC button is pressed to stop recording, or Event (emergency) Recording is activated by the Event ! button or a G-sensor trigger. If recording is stopped, screensaver is suspended until recording is started again. If Event (emergency) recording is activated, screensaver is suspended until Event Recording ends.} As a whole, V3.1B still has a few issues but I've found it to be stable. If you are interested to know what might be coming for the A119S, there is some discussion of the A119 V3.1B firmware on the last few pages of this thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119-firmware.22223/page-22#post-343427. Also you can find some information on the new A119 firmware V3.1B Parking Mode here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-parking-mode-new-beta-feature.29382/. I am not sure what will be implemented in the A119S because it has a different sensor, but I would guess that where commonality exists, A119 changes will be applied to the A119S. Even while we often criticize their efforts, @viofo should be commended for continuing to make significant improvements to their already excellent existing products and for allowing us to have a say in that process (i.e., listen to our complaints) .:D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info :)

I'm very happy Viofo continues to work on its products, so I'm crossing my fingers for a fix for this screen on thing. It's not a bother, it's just that because the device is always on (hooked up to separate battery), I'm worried about hte life span of the screen itself

Thanks for all the info :)
@stain - so you know, I edited previous post to add Event (emergency) recording to describe when the LCD comes on in the Motion Detection mode in the A119 V3.1B firmware.

Back