A119S too sharp day time video?

byab

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just installed new A119s and I am unfortunately a bit disappointment especial by day time video quality. I read similar post here on forum, but I could not find my answer, sorry if I missed it and duplicate a question.

Is my video looks too sharp for you (day)?
It is not so visually pleasant to watch. What is wrong with it?

I think night looks ok. I know A119S has it a bit more sharper than A119 according to other users, but in my opinion, mine is too much compared to other videos I saw.
I am using CPL filter that came with camera.

Night time:
Day time:

1920x1080P 30fps

Thank you.

Firmware version 1.2 does over sharpen the video. Looking forward to a firmware update that tones down the sharpening.

Last edited:
Thank you Harsh for your quick answer. Do you think downgrading (if possible) to previous firmware will help with this issue? What would be the drawback of that?

Thank you Harsh for your quick answer. Do you think downgrading (if possible) to previous firmware will help with this issue? What would be the drawback of that?
You can downgrade and test it out. While the consensus seems to be that it's over sharpened, most also seem to this it's a nice improvement (overall image quality) over the previous firmware version. I believe Viofo has said in another thread that they are looking into toning down the sharpening in the next firmware release.

the best would be add to the menu:
sharpening 0 to +10
noise reduction 0-10
white balance

that way everyone can set what they like - IMHO

sharpening 0 to +10
noise reduction 0-10
white balance

I agree. Thank you all for your input.

sharpening 0 to +10
noise reduction 0-10
white balance

I agree. The A 119S needs new firmware ASAP . mine has color / white balance shifts like crazy. Like auto white balance gone nuts. Exposure balance is poor. Sky can be blown out while ground level is under exposed. A better metering algorithm is needed. My kingdom for a quality dashcam with well thought out firmware and consistent quality control!! They can make great drone/ action cams...it's time for an awesome dash cam.
CRS

You can downgrade and test it out. While the consensus seems to be that it's over sharpened, most also seem to this it's a nice improvement (overall image quality) over the previous firmware version. I believe Viofo has said in another thread that they are looking into toning down the sharpening in the next firmware release.

This product is new for me, I am trying to learn more. I was wondering if all A119S v1.2 record like mine or something is wrong with my cam.
I agree that picture is somehow improved comparing to previous version of the camera, especially night, but that over sharpen day is just too much.
IMO it looks not naturally, like someone just learning picture/ video editing.
How often Viofo does publish updates?

This product is new for me, I am trying to learn more. I was wondering if all A119S v1.2 record like mine or something is wrong with my cam.
I agree that picture is somehow improved comparing to previous version of the camera, especially night, but that over sharpen day is just too much.
IMO it looks not naturally, like someone just learning picture/ video editing.
How often Viofo does publish updates?
There is no time table with firmware updates, so I can't say. Sometime soon I would guess though.
Have you tried a different player? While probably the the player, I find Registrator Viewer sometimes isn't the best visually. I have noticed this with some videos from the A119S in particular.

There is no time table with firmware updates, so I can't say. Sometime soon I would guess though.
Have you tried a different player? While probably the the player, I find Registrator Viewer sometimes isn't the best visually. I have noticed this with some videos from the A119S in particular.

Yes, I checked it on different computers / screens as well. I really hope next update will address that issue. I thought about returning it, but I guess since I mount it already I'll wait patiently....

Yea, I have to agree about the sharpness.. seems way overdone. Hopefully it will be addressed in a firmware update.

Yea, I have to agree about the sharpness.. seems way overdone. Hopefully it will be addressed in a firmware update.
Seems like regular firmware updates would be the bread and butter of a new business. Word gets out that there are always improvements around the corner.....conversely, when firmware updates take forever, word also gets out.
So....any concrete info on firmware updates? "Soon" does not instill confidence in the buyer.

Looks good to me, goto bear in mind what we're using dashcam for. Now, if that was a home camera for filming friends and family then id like it slightly softer.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

We have noticed this, we are now working on new firmware to optimize IQ.

would you ask to add to the menu:
sharpening 0 to +10
noise reduction 0-10
white balance

that way everyone can set what they like, while default in the middle
tnx

I am looking at a different issue and I just ran across this discussion about over-sharpening.

The problem is complex, and I think I would like to reduce sharpening too, but we have to look at the problem a bit more thoroughly. I was wondering why the sharpening was set so high on the A119S and then I ran across the issue raised by "BChobbyist" about the softness on one side of his videos.

"A119S Disassemble & Lens Alignment & Refocus"

From what I have seen, it looks like the focus is shifting from the middle of the lens to the far corners. This is something that happens on some lenses. This lens is a cheap one, so allowing the lens to have such trade-offs is a part of what keeps the price down.

I think that, in order to get the most out of this lens setup, Viofo has chosen to crank up the sharpening. If you want to decrease the sharpening, but leave the lens setup the same, be prepared to have less sharpness outward from the middle of the frame as the lens falls out of focus. How bad? If you reduce sharpening with the current setup, you might have a sharp image for about the middle 1/4 of the sensor, and then visible loss of focus outward from there. Is that "better"?

It would probably be better to start with just re-focusing the lens a bit more towards infinity. I am not worried about not having my dash-board in focus. I would much rather have things outside my vehicle in better focus. Maybe after re-focusing the lens, then reducing the sharpening would be a good "next step". But yes, I would like to have that option too.

Focal range stayed the same between 1 and 1.2. So they can turn down the sharpening and be fine.

IMO. The sharpening was fine on 1. Colors and a few others were off. They should have left sharpening alone for 1.2

@Peylix: Yeah. I took a longer look at the frames I captured. A refocus might help a bit, but the lens goes generally soft off axis. From what you are saying, and from what I have seen, I think I would like to try just decreasing sharpening and see how it looks. I never saw the results from the original firmware, so I will take the comments posted so far as probably better than mine.

I am looking at a different issue and I just ran across this discussion about over-sharpening.

The problem is complex, and I think I would like to reduce sharpening too, but we have to look at the problem a bit more thoroughly. I was wondering why the sharpening was set so high on the A119S and then I ran across the issue raised by "BChobbyist" about the softness on one side of his videos.

"A119S Disassemble & Lens Alignment & Refocus"

From what I have seen, it looks like the focus is shifting from the middle of the lens to the far corners. This is something that happens on some lenses. This lens is a cheap one, so allowing the lens to have such trade-offs is a part of what keeps the price down.

I think that, in order to get the most out of this lens setup, Viofo has chosen to crank up the sharpening. If you want to decrease the sharpening, but leave the lens setup the same, be prepared to have less sharpness outward from the middle of the frame as the lens falls out of focus. How bad? If you reduce sharpening with the current setup, you might have a sharp image for about the middle 1/4 of the sensor, and then visible loss of focus outward from there. Is that "better"?

It would probably be better to start with just re-focusing the lens a bit more towards infinity. I am not worried about not having my dash-board in focus. I would much rather have things outside my vehicle in better focus. Maybe after re-focusing the lens, then reducing the sharpening would be a good "next step". But yes, I would like to have that option too.
May I ask.... Please excuse my ignorance, But is it not acceptable to have the sharpest image for clarity of playback? Confused:unsure:

May I ask.... Please excuse my ignorance, But is it not acceptable to have the sharpest image for clarity of playback? Confused:unsure:

I think the terminology is confusing, adding sharpness generally has the opposite effect than the name would imply, results end up blurry as a result of adding 'sharpness'

Back