A119S V2 beeping on Time Lapse with Beep Sound=Off

jharmon

Reaction score
Country
Australia
With Loop Recording set to 3 minutes (default) and Time Lapse set to 100ms, Beep Sound set to Off, the unit beeps does a two double beeps every 3 minutes. (beep beep, pause, beep beep).

This occurred on firmware v1.60 and also the 17 June 2017 release V1.60.01B.

Beep Sound off means beep sound OFF!

Viofo, please stop the beeps on time lapse recordings with Beep Sound Off.

The beep off setting only applies to the button beeps. It does not apply to the alert beeps. Though this does not sound like an alert beep if it’s only every 3 minutes. Does it happen under different time lapse settings? If you change looping to, say 1 min, do the beeps then occur every one minute?

I personally don't have any alarms enabled. It seems to beep at startup and randomly when file changes, not every time. Also I tried to change sounds to all and then back off, which might have fixed but could not verify yet.

I personally don't have any alarms enabled. It seems to beep at startup and randomly when file changes, not every time. Also I tried to change sounds to all and then back off, which might have fixed but could not verify yet.

Double-check that the camera's recorded all of the video. My A119S was having issues where it would occasionally make a quick "beep" sound, and a new file had started recording. When I checked the files on the camera, at the moment the beep had occurred, the camera had ended a file early, there was 8-10 seconds of missing video, and a new file had started.

The memory card tested OK, so I changed power supplies, and the problem mostly went away (it would still happen, but not as often). However, after a month it started to happen more and more, to the point where it was happening a few times a day, and the lost footage worried me. I changed the MicroSD card, and so far no more beeps, no more missed footage.

Double-check that the camera's recorded all of the video. My A119S was having issues where it would occasionally make a quick "beep" sound, and a new file had started recording. When I checked the files on the camera, at the moment the beep had occurred, the camera had ended a file early, there was 8-10 seconds of missing video, and a new file had started.

The memory card tested OK, so I changed power supplies, and the problem mostly went away (it would still happen, but not as often). However, after a month it started to happen more and more, to the point where it was happening a few times a day, and the lost footage worried me. I changed the MicroSD card, and so far no more beeps, no more missed footage.
I checked few files and noticed it pushes over 20MBps and my SD card is only rated half that. Have to set it 1080p30 and check what happens. If that solves the issue I just have to get a new card.

sorry to bump this but I'm having exactly the same issue. brand new viofo, brand new 32gb transcend sd card. There doesn't appear to be missed recordings - the beep only happens when in time lapse mode, never in normal recording. Time lapse settings are: 10 min loop, 200ms. firmware 2.4. oddly it seems to be beeping every 12-13 minutes or so, as soon as the file changes over. it's pretty consistent

sorry to bump this but I'm having exactly the same issue. brand new viofo, brand new 32gb transcend sd card. There doesn't appear to be missed recordings - the beep only happens when in time lapse mode, never in normal recording. Time lapse settings are: 10 min loop, 200ms. firmware 2.4. oddly it seems to be beeping every 12-13 minutes or so, as soon as the file changes over. it's pretty consistent

would be a double beep at file change, no sound is recorded during timelapse though, is it an issue?

How come the beep doesn't happen when doing a normal recording then? Its an issue for me because I'm using the camera at night also to watch the vehicle, and the beep wakes me up! No way to turn it off

I use an A119S mounted in a window as well, looking out at my front walk/driveway. The beep happens at the file change. I keep meaning to ask Viofo about it, but keep forgetting. It is annoying when using the camera like this, but since it not what it is designed for, it’s hard to complain (though my wife does).

I'm trying the 1s time lapse setting now and there appears to be no beep? Its a shame because 1fps isn't ideal!

A double beep happens while recording in Time-lapse when the camera loops and a new file begins. But the Loop Recording menu setting does not apply to Time-lapse recording. The Loop Recording time for all Time-lapse recordings is a 2 minute file duration, which makes the actual time recorded a variable and a function of the Time-lapse setting. For example, with a 200ms Time-lapse setting, the actual time recorded before looping is 12 minutes and yields file of 2 minute duration. For more info on calculating Time-lapse actual recording times for different Time-lapse settings, refer to this post: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/are-people-upgrading-to-v3-3.30403/#post-361075.

A double beep happens while recording in Time-lapse when the camera loops and a new file begins. But the Loop Recording menu setting does not apply to Time-lapse recording. The Loop Recording time for all Time-lapse recordings is a 2 minute file duration, which makes the actual time recorded a variable and a function of the Time-lapse setting. For example, with a 200ms Time-lapse setting, the actual time recorded before looping is 12 minutes and yields file of 2 minute duration. For more info on calculating Time-lapse actual recording times for different Time-lapse settings, refer to this post: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/are-people-upgrading-to-v3-3.30403/#post-361075.

That makes perfect sense because the beeping happens twice as fast when I use 100ms. I must not have listenened long enough when the setting was at 1fps. Still, it is a rather annoying quirk that cannot be turned off? Is there any firmware where this "feature" didn't exist? Can we ask viofo to introduce such a feature?

Still, it is a rather annoying quirk that cannot be turned off? Is there any firmware where this "feature" didn't exist? Can we ask viofo to introduce such a feature?
The tests I did were on a regular A119 firmware version 3.3 I think. I have presumed all FW versions of the A119 and A119S operate in the same way for the Time-lapse function since I haven't noticed any difference in the two models I own, and I have seen nothing in the firmware change logs or posts on the forum to indicate otherwise. Only later firmware versions of both cameras offered a new Parking Mode, which under certain conditions, also uses a Time-lapse function.

Sure you can always suggest a firmware change to Viofo on this forum (use @viofo to be sure they see it, whoops I just did!) or on their website http://support.viofo.com/support/home. Viofo may or may not acknowledge your suggestion. Don't hold your breath, FW changes must be carefully considered and if adopted, take time to implement and test. So mostly, only the highest priority changes (the major issues that get complained about the most) get implemented. Meantime, you might look for alternate DIY solutions such as earplugs, tape over the A119S speaker holes (being careful not to degrade the A119S cooling), or a change to your Time-lapse setting. Viofo does quietly listen to it's customers, provide good general support, and will often help you out with a serious problem if the forum and/or seller are unable (or unwilling) help you reach a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: gse
Mine stopped beeping when I got fast enough SD-card. I got a U3 category card when U1 was not fast enough. With U1 speed card it kept beeping on every file change because the card was simply too slow.

Mine stopped beeping when I got fast enough SD-card. I got a U3 category card when U1 was not fast enough. With U1 speed card it kept beeping on every file change because the card was simply too slow.
I have a U3 Samsung EVO Select 128GB in it and it's still beeping. I don't think the beeping is related to the card as I have used a couple of different cards and the beeps were there with all the cards.

Its a class 10 transcend. Anyway I've got a workaround for now - I took a 4 pole aux cable and cut the end off, wrapped each individual wire in electrical tape so there's no short circuiting and plug it into the aux port so that the camera thinks its plugged into a TV. Beeps have stopped permanently (until I unplug the aux cable). It's good enough for now!

Back