A119S V2 Disappointment

golden99

Reaction score
Hi All. My four-year old Mobius 1 Action Cam started flaking out a bit, missing recordings now and then and audio dropouts. I replaced the micro SD card and videos are good and stable, but audio is still a problem. So I decided to use it as a rearview cam.

After a lot of research here and elsewhere I purchased a brand new VIOFO A119s V2 from Amazon last week. It has the new GPS tabs instead of pins, etc. I like a lot of the features, however the most important aspect, image quality, is disappointing.

License plates in particular are not nearly as clear as the Mobius unless I am stopped directly behind a car. Plates from oncoming traffic are poor to unreadable. They weren't excellent with the Mobius but I could usually read them.

The VIOFO's image seems a bit sharper, but that also seems to contribute to additional "noise" in the image.

The Mobius records 1080p at 30fps. Even when I set the VIOFO to 1080p at 60fps the quality just isn't as good, plus it uses up a great deal more memory.

I've attached video screenshots of a somewhat side-by-side comparison. Both taken from about the same distance, lighting (cloudy day), etc.

Specs:
  • A119S V2
  • Firmware - 170222_V1.2
  • A11CPL lens
  • Transcend High Endurance 32GB Micro SD Card
Do the experts here have any advice? If I can't get it to approach the same quality as the Mobius I'm seriously considering returning it and buying a new Mobius.

TIA!

2hhhwms.jpg

Last edited:
can you put them side by side and then shoot a comparison, if not looking at the same scene at the same time then it's too hard to make a judgement call on what the problem may or may not be

print more than one and spread them out is better too so you can have a look at any focus difference across the frame

Returned my v-1 A-119s and got my V-2 monday from OCD Tronic. So far I like, it still setting it up been busy at work. I will post a video in a few days and I"ll try the focus chart as well.

Here are a couple of side-by-side examples. My Mobius 1 and VIOFO A119S are mounted side-by-side. Both are set to 1080p 30fps.

13z3kgi.jpg

2n8tnys.jpg

14b80ty.jpg

n2h7vt.jpg

Since the focus chart is difficult to really see well in side-by-side screenshots, I uploaded a short video (unfortunately only in 720p but hope it helps):

Although the A119S images are "brighter" I still feel like it's introducing additional noise as compared to the Mobius 1's images. I understand the focal length is different as well but signs, license plates and other details just seem a bit easier to read with the Mobius.

Ultimately as someone mentioned on the other thread, what I want is to be sure whatever happens in front (or in back) of me is recorded in case I need it in court, etc. That said, if something happens such as a hit and run situation, I'd like to be sure that I get a clear license plate number.

Perhaps it's a matter of taste or getting used to, but I'm still not sold on the A119s.

As mentioned, there is a slight improvement when I run the A119S at 1080p 60fps, but I still view the Mobius 1 as doing a better job at delivering details...at least during the day. The images from the Mobius seem a little more "natural" if that makes sense.

I'll try some different settings like 720p, removing the CPL, etc. but I'd welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks again!

I'm only viewing via iPhone but it looks normal to me. If night performance isn't important maybe you should try the higher resolution A119 instead.

I'm only viewing via iPhone but it looks normal to me. If night performance isn't important maybe you should try the higher resolution A119 instead.

Thanks for that OCD. I think the clearest example is between the first two images where three license plates are visible. With the Mobius I can clearly read the one in front and the one to the right and mostly the one on the left. However with the A119S the one in front and to the right just don't appear to be as clear and the one on the left is pretty much unreadable.

I'll give the A119 some thought though.

Thanks again!

I think it will be more to your liking once they back the sharpening off a bit more, there's not a lot between them now but still room for improvement, small changes can make a world of difference to the end result sometimes

Maybe it is a bit overexposed, just look at the flagpole(?), which disappears completely

13z3kgi.jpg

May want to try with the lens one click lower. You have a lot of sky. Might help.

I've just got one of these to replace a mini806 (which is another story entirely!) and after reviewing some footage after some driving around today I too am somewhat disappointed with the clarity.
I'm using 1920x1080p 60fps, WDR is off
I don't think it's anything to do with exposure, the lack of clarity on number plates, street signs etc seems to be down to over-aggressive sharpening. Maybe I should have gone for the A119 :(
edit: firmware is V1.2

I too am on the dissapointed bandwagon. In my opinion the overexposure is only apparent in v2 of the a119s. I had the v1 and it wasnt as bad as this v2 is. Could perhaps have something to do with the new lens base that was mentioned as part of the v2 improvements? Input from people/sellers who have tried a multitude of dashcams was basically, "its a chinese camera its not going to be perfect". Anyway, after talking with viofo their response was: "we are now working on new firmware, sharpness and exposure will be optimized in new firmware". But god knows when that will roll out.

They're still fine tuning the firmware, the A119 has had many months headstart, I'm sure there's still further improvements to come

Quick update. I bumped the VIOFO A119S up to 60fps and the results are better. Lighting was also a bit better today. The downside of course is that each 5 minute file is quite a bit larger at around 1GB. I "upgraded" to a 128GB Micro SD to handle the larger files.

I still feel like it could do better though. Per Colin and others, I agree that at least part of the issue is over-aggressive sharpening. It's introducing too much noise IMHO. I think if VIOFO can iron that out in the next firmware update I'd be inclined to keep using it.

Thanks to all for the excellent feedback. Any other ideas are more than welcome!

2ueh1uf.png

33y25tz.jpg

Back