a119s video quality concern

mms1361

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased the a119s through amazon (top 3 seller). I dont know if its normal or not but i feel as though my video quality is not as good as others even comparing my raw video to others youtube videos. I purchased the lexar 633x sd card. I did not have the blue protective cling on the camera lens. The camera came shipped with the latest 1.2 firmware. Im recording in 1080p@60fps, no wdr

So right off the bat i notice my camera seemed to be picking up a considerable bloom effect from lights at night. I supercleaned the windshield inside and out with glass cleaner as well as wiped the lens. It did improve it a little bit but i steel feel as though the lights bloom more than they should. Night time video looks "okay". Dont see alot of detail like other peoples video up until i get into a well lit area like at 45secs or im at a full stop.

Second thing i noticed after testing in night is in daytime i can see a noticeable blur on the left side of the camera. If i split the video into vertical sixths the left most sixth is where it seems out of focus.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I just got my camera last week and I think the video is fine. Maybe someone with more experience with it can chime in. But I do have a suggestion:

You mention that it came with the firmware upgrade already, but you should try reflashing the firmware yourself again and then resetting the settings. Then compare the footage and see if there are any improvements.

Looks a little soft on the left side in the day video. How did you clean the lens?

i just used a dry microfiber cloth to clean the lens, like the ones that come in a 2inchx2inch square for electronics.(Ive aquired numerous amounts through other purchases)I thought maybe i mightve touched it during installation so i wiped it clean again.

i just used a dry microfiber cloth to clean the lens, like the ones that come in a 2inchx2inch square for electronics....
I've found that many microfiber cloths don't work well when they're new and need to be washed and rinsed well or they just smear oily stuff around. I suspect it's just some residual matter in the cloth left over from manufacturing that needs to be removed. Might want to give that a try as your night video 'blooming' looks to me like either a dirty lens or windshield.

Also it has been reported by various owners, that some A119S gives blurred left side of an image, probably due to assembly low quality.

I actually think I see the same thing... I thought it was the lens, or just me... so I cleaned it, but haven't had a chance to re-check. I'll try to do that today.

EDIT: I checked some video from the past few days, and it does look a little soft on the left, but I'm going to do more testing. Not sure if it's glare from my windshield or not, but the past few days it's been cloudy and rainy. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow, so we'll see.

I am a sports photographer, and I have stuff called ROR (Residual Oil Remover), it's a liquid that removes stubborn stains on camera lenses. If I trust using it on my $4,000 lens, I trust it on the A119S... I'll report back tomorrow...

Last edited:
So i had a chance to look at a few more test clips. I still get the blooming effect from night viewing. I will not say my windshield is entirely to blame but it is on an older vehicle so for now ill skip the night trouble and go with the day issue. Ive cleaned the lens and windshield numerous times so i doubt its any residue. The left side of the lens is still blurry, sort of like double vision. I just ordered the CPL filter, i feel like it shouldve been included in the kit and had the gps module be optional. Anyway, it will be here tomorrow and ill see what it improves if anything. I doubt it has anything to do with power supply but ill also be hardwiring it tomorrow.

@mms1361 it seems the left side out of focus, please PM me for replacement if you haven't returned the product.

Had a similar problem (blurred one edge of the picture) on one of my old non-Viofo dashcams. The verdict ended up being "manufacturing/assembly defect: non-parallelism between the sensor and the focal plane of the lens: one sensor edge out of lens focus". Cam replacement resolved the issue.

So far I think I'm all set with my video quality. The bad thing for me is that I ALWAYS seem to get reflections on my windshield, no matter how sunny/cloudy it is... but it looks ok as of now...

So far I think I'm all set with my video quality. The bad thing for me is that I ALWAYS seem to get reflections on my windshield, no matter how sunny/cloudy it is... but it looks ok as of now...

Do you have CPL?
Without CPL it's bad for me - so I put CPL.
This is how CPL works

I have purchased the optional CPL filter for the a119s but im still in the process of thoroughly testing it and taking samples

So just an update on the quality concern. As many of you noted the left side of the lens is blurry. Its not the glass or placement on the windshield. I verified this by flipping the camera upside down so that the -left side- of the lens sat on the right side. After doing this now the right side of the image is blurry. This is clearly a defect and im going to be returning it although im not sure how effective that will be with all the issues the a119s currently has.

Now i hate to start bashing people online but Viofo itself posted on this thread and private messaged me so that i can get a replacement. Sadly thats as far as the concern and posting here to keep a good image went. I replied back not once but 3 times over whats now been 2 weeks and still have yet to receive any response. Seems like theyre avoiding the issue since they have been online several times since reaching out to me.

c4eb28eb389a45c9a9124f3070b7e77d.png

I'm at the show in Hong Kong. I'll see the VIOFO guys again later today and will help get you a response. They've been very busy setting up for the show so might be a bit behind until next week. Here's a photo. (I'm in the middle)

d1fbe14af1df8e6fa64a783b972162d4.jpg

Same issue as mms1361 with the focal defect. Though mine is on the right side from the get go.

I am also experiencing LOTS of light bloom at night. Settings : CPL- yes , top resolution at 60fps, no EV or contrast adjustments, WDR ON, CLEAN WINDOWS AND LENSES. Also some audio clicking that sounds electrical...bad shielding? Using supplied power cable running to 12volt lighter socket. Power is running into the side of the camera NOT through the GPS module...camera mount is a little loose, might be that? The bloom is not good....never present on my blackvues, or Guardian. Maybe this camera isn't ready for prime time?
CRS

Back