A119V3 not starting up when the car is turned on

Smiley

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119V.1(1), A119V.2 (6), A119V3 (1)
I've bought one in November of last year from OCD Tronic through Amazon, and have emailed them directly, but I haven't received a reply yet. Perhaps someone here has a good idea about the problem.
Things seemed to be going fine for a while but lately, on at least three occasions that I am aware of, the camera did not start up when the car was turned on. I’m connecting it to the plug-in adapter provided with the camera. I have 2 other cameras in the car, and they were working fine. I have direct view of those cameras so I know they are working, but the V3 is behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side so I can't see it when it goes on. I now use a mirror to see if it's operating. When I hit the Power button on the camera, the camera starts up and operates normally–but on those three occasions it was off, unless I turned it on manually. It obviously was getting Power since it turned on right away and continued to function. These may have been isolated incidents, and otherwise it seems to turn on when the car is turned on. I have half a dozen of the previous version cameras which I have been using for years, which have all been working fine. I never had this happen before. The fact that the camera doesn't turn on automatically is concerning because we depend on our cameras to be working properly. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help with this.
Harry

It sound like a power issue even if you are using the provided PSU, you could try and power it with the PSU from one of the other cameras if they are compatible ( the right kind of USB plug )

I have the same issue with a camera that i am powering thru a provided OBD adapter, i really need to move that to another power sourch, just cant use any of the spare ones i have from old Cameras as this camera use USB C plugs in the camera, so will have to use ( the also provided ) 2 port USB charger and USB A-C wire, just haven't gotten around to that yet as i am forced to work on my car curb side, and that's no fun this time of the year.

Just tagging in @OCD Tronic in here too, to get some more eyes on the matter.

It sound like a power issue even if you are using the provided PSU, you could try and power it with the PSU from one of the other cameras if they are compatible ( the right kind of USB plug )

I have the same issue with a camera that i am powering thru a provided OBD adapter, i really need to move that to another power sourch, just cant use any of the spare ones i have from old Cameras as this camera use USB C plugs in the camera, so will have to use ( the also provided ) 2 port USB charger and USB A-C wire, just haven't gotten around to that yet as i am forced to work on my car curb side, and that's no fun this time of the year.
That sounds like a great idea. I've had a few of the adapters go bad on me in the past, even though they were provided with the cameras by the manufacturer. I will try switching it out and see what happens. Thanks.

NP buddy, we are here to help. :)

I've bought one in November of last year from OCD Tronic through Amazon, and have emailed them directly, but I haven't received a reply yet. Perhaps someone here has a good idea about the problem.
Things seemed to be going fine for a while but lately, on at least three occasions that I am aware of, the camera did not start up when the car was turned on. I’m connecting it to the plug-in adapter provided with the camera. I have 2 other cameras in the car, and they were working fine. I have direct view of those cameras so I know they are working, but the V3 is behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side so I can't see it when it goes on. I now use a mirror to see if it's operating. When I hit the Power button on the camera, the camera starts up and operates normally–but on those three occasions it was off, unless I turned it on manually. It obviously was getting Power since it turned on right away and continued to function. These may have been isolated incidents, and otherwise it seems to turn on when the car is turned on. I have half a dozen of the previous version cameras which I have been using for years, which have all been working fine. I never had this happen before. The fact that the camera doesn't turn on automatically is concerning because we depend on our cameras to be working properly. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help with this.
Harry

How did you try to contact us? I don’t see any unanswered emails, messages or support tickets as of this reply. But yes try another power supply and also change memory card as a test.

How did you try to contact us? I don’t see any unanswered emails, messages or support tickets as of this reply. But yes try another power supply and also change memory card as a test.
Hello. I emailed you through the link for the product sale that said,"contact seller." I got a confirmation from Amazon that the email was sent, and they said to expect a reply within 24 to 48 hours. That was sent late on the 21st of January. Harry

Hello. I emailed you through the link for the product sale that said,"contact seller." I got a confirmation from Amazon that the email was sent, and they said to expect a reply within 24 to 48 hours. That was sent late on the 21st of January. Harry

Maybe it was sent to the generic Amazon fulfillment team. We didn’t get anything to our OCD Tronic Amazon seller central yet. Well, now you’re getting help from everyone here at least :)

509b9a91da2e9e209949075c2e05275d.jpg

Also, use the menu setting to put in a 5 second boot delay.
I have a 119S and have had same issue from the start, it can go month or two without any power issues and than can happen few times in couple days.delay start don't help. It's something with dashcam itself. Different adapters connected different power sources didn't help.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Pretty much agree with others as being a power issue and that's where I'd place my focus first buuuut... Any chance your problem is coinciding with outside temperatures? Probably a long-shot yet something to consider.

Pretty much agree with others as being a power issue and that's where I'd place my focus first buuuut... Any chance your problem is coinciding with outside temperatures? Probably a long-shot yet something to consider.
Most of the time it's quite temperate here in Los Angeles, generally in the 60s during the day and low 50s at night. The car is in the garage as well, and while that's not heated directly it is usually in the 60s at the lowest, so I don't think it's Extreme cold or hot weather. At this point, as suggested by others, I have switched out the Power adapter, and will monitor and see how that works. The memory card is a Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB Micro SDXC card which tested fine. Over the last two days it has started up each time so far.

Does anyone actually know what is the minimum write speed the V3 needs in 1440/high bitrate ?

I'm still not convinced that U1 @ 30 Mbps is fast enough, especially when it's full and is performing an overwrite of older unprotected files.

I remember Nextbase, a few years ago, stating that their high end dashcams need a minimum of 50Mbps write speed which is why I went for the Samsung U3 which is 60Mbps and it's never missed a frame.

Hi @Smiley,

Yep, agree with checking the cigarette adaptor and memory card.

Are you using the original power lead or a third-party one? Sometimes third-party power leads aren't up to the job.

Are you using a cigarette power splitter? If so try a different one or temporarily plug straight into the socket.

One thing that sometimes catches me out in my car is if I place something in the centre console which hits or lands on the power socket. It might be enough to reduce power even though the cigarette power splitter shows a red LED for power. I've also had this with my wife's car when I rest my knee against the centre console and knock the power cable enough to affect things.

Regards,

Hi @Smiley,

Yep, agree with checking the cigarette adaptor and memory card.

Are you using the original power lead or a third-party one? Sometimes third-party power leads aren't up to the job.

Are you using a cigarette power splitter? If so try a different one or temporarily plug straight into the socket.

One thing that sometimes catches me out in my car is if I place something in the centre console which hits or lands on the power socket. It might be enough to reduce power even though the cigarette power splitter shows a red LED for power. I've also had this with my wife's car when I rest my knee against the centre console and knock the power cable enough to affect things.

Regards,
I'm now using the cigarette adapter that came with that particular camera, and so far, over About 5 days, things seem to be going normally. I have had a few of their previous version adapters connect intermittently, so I do I know that they can go bad at some point — although why one of the two connections would be bad and the other one not, I don't understand. For the power leads, I use Monoprice, because their product seems quite well made, durable, and reasonably priced. I've had some troubles with the Viofo supplied cables in that occasionally cameras would only seem to power up intermittently, until I switched the cables out for the Monoprice ones. I've been using the Monoprice cables on six cameras in all my cars for several years now without a problem. As far as disrupting the cable plug-in connection, I do have that problem with the rear camera, so I check to see that it's operating each time I turn the car on — I can see in my rearview mirror. The front cameras are not near or subject to any contact disruption. Thanks for your reply.

My old hardwired G1W-C would occasionally do the same thing. I'd look at the camera and realize it wasn't on... would have to manually power it on. But that was the exception to the norm. I haven't noticed that problem yet with the A119v3.

Back