A119V3 Parking mode temperatures

mariomart

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 Mini, Viofo A119 V3, Viofo A119S V2
I decided to purchase/install an A119V3 with official HK3 wiring today, relegating my 2½ year old A119S (which has operated flawlessly) to the rear window.

So I've had it running continuously for several hours in buffered parking mode, mounted just below my rear vision mirror, in my garage.

The temperature in my garage is currently a little over 33ºC (91.4ºF) and the windows of my car are closed.

I took several temperature readings of the A119V3 from several points of the body.

The lowest section of the case had the lowest temperature of 36.3ºC (97.34ºF).

I took measurements slowly from top to bottom and I found the hottest part of the case was actually the very top centre of the LCD screen which registered 46.5ºC (115.7ºF).

I suspect that they may be using the LCD as a heatsink for the main processor, but that's just my speculation.

I thought I would share this info in case other owners needed it.

Cheers, Mario

You don't need to worry about those temperatures!
For a 2K camera, it is very low power, has a very efficient processor.
Also, there is nothing very temperature sensitive at the top, those bits are in the cool at the bottom.

You don't need to worry about those temperatures!
For a 2K camera, it is very low power, has a very efficient processor.
Also, there is nothing very temperature sensitive at the top, those bits are in the cool at the bottom.

I don't have any concerns, just thought it would be helpful info for those who were after answers.

I know the rated published upper operating temperature is 65ºC, so it will be interesting to see what happens if that is exceeded. Does the unit shut itself down? Only interested as in the Aussie Summer a car interior can quite easily exceed that.

Not sure if it has a shutdown, but I believe it will go well into the 80s without shutting down, and with it using its mount as a sunshield it is difficult to get it that high. I do suggest mounting the main part of the camera behind the dotted area or behind a sunshield, or if your car has a big plastic autonomous sensors module it can sometimes be mounted on that to protect it from the sun, or if none of them are available then maybe install a small piece of sunshield material to hide it behind. We don't see people having problems with the A119 V3 though.

Mario, 33degrees C, well I dont have to worry about mine overheating as its 3degrees C in sunny Scotland, although it is a sunny day with no clouds:cool::sick:

Mario, 33degrees C, well I dont have to worry about mine overheating as its 3degrees C in sunny Scotland, although it is a sunny day with no clouds:cool::sick:
Haha, and that was at 6:30 pm lol

I could do with a little 33 deg, mind you i will not be doing any work, but of there was a few sheilas around for me to look at it would be good.
Danish firefighters gang up on facetwitt, wanting to go help Aussies, i have not signed up even though i am schooled in firefighting, then i am not worth much good today.

plenty of work for fire fighters here, no shortage of fires right now, bushland 200m from my house went up last weekend

I'm getting my unit replaced by the local distributor as it was losing focus on the right hand side of the image when heating up.

According to the distributor it's a known issue with a small number of units due to the lens distorting under heat stress.

Here are the sample pics I sent the distributor.

20200109153345_000058.MP4_snapshot_01.13.291 COLD.jpg Cold

20200109125104_000055.MP4_snapshot_00.23.891 HOT.jpg Hot

I'm getting my unit replaced by the local distributor as it was losing focus on the right hand side of the image when heating up.

According to the distributor it's a known issue with a small number of units due to the lens distorting under heat stress.

Here are the sample pics I sent the distributor.

View attachment 50190 Cold

View attachment 50191 Hot
You have taken the protective shipping plastic off the lens?

We don't see many Viofo cameras with that problem, but it can occur, looks like it was focused a little too far in the cool of the factory, along with the lens not being mounted quite straight.

You have taken the protective shipping plastic off the lens?

We don't see many Viofo cameras with that problem, but it can occur, looks like it was focused a little too far in the cool of the factory, along with the lens not being mounted quite straight.
Yes, I removed the protector, lol.

what sort of temps on the day?
It only got to the low 30's yesterday, but the car was parked in full sun for about an hour. I took a temp reading when I got home and the hottest part of the case was 57.9ºC.

I've decided to add a heat shield to lessen the effects of running parking mode in the Aussie Summer.

20200110_174928.jpg

I've decided to add a heat shield to lessen the effects of running parking mode in the Aussie Summer.

View attachment 50204
You can buy small pieces of proper window tint (either car or home tint if you want high reflection) that are easy to cut to shape and install for that purpose if you prefer a more professional looking job.
With proper window tint, you can stick the camera to the tint rather than the glass, looks much better.
Make sure you read the installation instructions, it is easy only if you know how, and round the corners a bit if you want it looking profesional. Also extend it a bit to completely fill the gap between the sun visors, you will appreciate it next time you are driving into the sun.

You can buy small pieces of proper window tint (either car or home tint if you want high reflection) that are easy to cut to shape and install for that purpose if you prefer a more professional looking job.
With proper window tint, you can stick the camera to the tint rather than the glass, looks much better.
Make sure you read the installation instructions, it is easy only if you know how, and round the corners a bit if you want it looking profesional. Also extend it a bit to completely fill the gap between the sun visors, you will appreciate it next time you are driving into the sun.
Yeah, Nah. I'm happy with the $2 Reject Shop Bogan engineering :)

Back