A119v3 recording times and the E/C button

speedlever

Reaction score
I looked through the on-line manual and didn't see anything mentioned about how long you can record at 1440P/high bitrate on various sized cards. Anyone know?

Also, in the situation where an event occurs and you want to make sure to save it, do you just press the emergency/confirm button? And what exactly does that do? If using 3 minute loops, you can't know where you are in the loop, right? Does it save files before and after pressing the E/C button?

OTOH, with a large enough memory card, I suppose you can just scrub along until you find what you need, assuming it hasn't been over-written.

Edit: I just received bitrate info from Viofo support.
V3 bitrate[800x600].png

Using the calculator linked below, with high bitrate and a 128 GB card, you can get 9.6 hours of recording.

With low bitrate, the 128 GB card provides 15.7 hours of recording time.

It's interesting that the parking mode bitrates are all very close and are approximately the same as normal recording in medium bitrate.

Last edited:
Great Questions I'd like to know also.

I looked through the on-line manual and didn't see anything mentioned about how long you can record at 1440P/high bitrate on various sized cards. Anyone know?

Also, in the situation where an event occurs and you want to make sure to save it, do you just press the emergency/confirm button? And what exactly does that do? If using 3 minute loops, you can't know where you are in the loop, right? Does it save files before and after pressing the E/C button?

OTOH, with a large enough memory card, I suppose you can just scrub along until you find what you need, assuming it hasn't been over-written.

It saves the file being record when the button was pressed and someone correct me if I'm wrong, it saves the next file if just 30 seconds or minute are left for a 3 minute segment.

if it's like their other models it will save the file before if less than 30 seconds into the current recording, will save the next file if less than 30 seconds left in the current recording, and will save just that file if somewhere in between those two

if it's like their other models it will save the file before if less than 30 seconds into the current recording, will save the next file if less than 30 seconds left in the current recording, and will save just that file if somewhere in between those two

Now this would be a good reason to save files longer than 3 minutes and maybe 5 minutes.
5 minutes would be plenty of time to catch prior to accident, present accident and post accident if needed.

Does anyone know what high bitrate numbers actually are? I may have overlooked them, but I didn't notice any particulars on the viofo.com site that would provide any specifics on recording time or bitrate info.

From the online manual:

A119v3 specs.png

Edit: I searched a bit and found this informative thread indicating the high bitrate averages around 26 Mbps.

If I plug 26 Mbps into the above calculator, I get 11.2 hours of recording time for a 128GB micro SD card.

Last edited:
Here is an example, you can do the exact maths from the figures :)

This is my Samsung 128Gb SDCard with 57 x 3 minute high bitrate clips @ 1440. It's used about a quarter of the space so I reckon you're looking at about ~171 minutes = ~ 684 minutes(ish) = ~11.4hrs(ish) because some of my clips aren't the full 3 minutes due to shutdown:

jkDLvPH.jpg

Last edited:
On my V3 using highest settings for 1440p I get around half an hour, maybe a bit more on an 8Gb card. Yes I know but it was the only card I had to hand when I installed it [emoji3]

I’ve estimated that I’ll get 8+ hours on a 128Gb card.

I asked Viofo support about it and got this reply. While somewhat helpful, it still didn't provide bitrate info... which the recording time calculator needs in order to calculate the number.
"You can use the Recording Time Calculator to approximate how many videos your SD card can hold:
https://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

The camera will lock the previous video and current video if you press the emergency button before the 15s of the event.
For example, if you set the loop recording as 1 minute and press the emergency button before 15s, the camera will lock the previous video and current video. otherwise, the camera will only lock the current video.
You can check the locked videos under the DICM/MOVIE/RO directory."

Unfortunately, support didn't elaborate on the loop recording time, so I assume regardless of the loop time, if it's under 15s (remaining?), it will also lock the previous video. I can only hope that if I'm in an accident, I have the presence of mind to hit the Emergency button to lock the file. Is there also a G sensor that might also mark the recording automatically if it's triggered? Or is that only applicable when stationary?

15 seconds doesn't sound like much time to collect your wits after an accident/incident and think to hit the E button.

G-sensor will lock the file if in an accident. The ! button will lock the previous file if your within 15 seconds of current file. This is true no matter what looping time you set.

G-sensor will lock the file if in an accident. The ! button will lock the previous file if your within 15 seconds of current file. This is true no matter what looping time you set.
Thanks for the clarification.

I think I had it backwards then... if you hit the ! button within 15s of starting a new file, it will also guard the previous file.

In that regard, it would seem that a 3 minute loop might be preferable to a 1 minute loop, just to make sure you get any pertinent scenarios leading up to and following the 'main' event.

Edit: does the G-sensor lock also follow those same guidelines as regarding hitting the ! button?

Last edited:
Just to add more info.

My 128Gb card is circa half full, or half empty :)

It has on it 97 x 3 minute clips recorded @ 1440 and high bitrate.

Therefore, with a 128Gb card in a V3 you are still looking at about 9.7 hours.

k8VRJdT.jpg

Sarcastic Remark
What size memory card do I need to save 365 days 24/7? :unsure:

A few Yottabytes should do it

A few Yottabytes should do it

Was just reading about Yottabyte. Way to much data . Hopefully someone here will see it. Any newborns? LOL

The future
A lot depends on the industry's ability to invent something beyond high capacity magnetic storage. SSD drives are still in their infancy as far as capacity goes (although they are growing fast) and we still have yet to see a consumer grade holographic storage device. I think that some kind of chemical storage medium will be required to get us beyond the 2020s and maybe then we'll see another surge of invention that could take us to Yottabyte levels.
  • 2020s - Petabytes (TB for memory)
  • 2030s - Petabytes/Exabytes (Also the end of 32-bit timespace for unix)
  • 2040s - Exabytes
  • 2050s - Zettabytes
  • 2060s - Zettabytes/Yottabytes
  • 2070s - Yottabytes
  • 2090s - ????bytes (1024^9 so maybe a nonubyte, novembyte or enneabyte?

With autonomous cars, although that's another story, you'd want to know where it had been when you wern't looking :)

Back