A129 3-wire kit

edjack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have an update on when the 3-wire kit will be available for the A129? I have three of them and I've been holding off hardwiring, waiting on the 3-wire kit to come out. But I'm getting tired of it being plugged into my USB port and really don't want to break down and get a 2-wire kit, because I'd like to have it for parking lot mode.

Does anyone have an update on when the 3-wire kit will be available for the A129? I have three of them and I've been holding off hardwiring, waiting on the 3-wire kit to come out. But I'm getting tired of it being plugged into my USB port and really don't want to break down and get a 2-wire kit, because I'd like to have it for parking lot mode.
What USB port are you plugged into. Is this a built-in USB port from the factory?

What USB port are you plugged into. Is this a built-in USB port from the factory?
Some cars have USB ports to connect media players(phone, etc) to the car audio system. Issue is most only provide 1 Amp for charging and that's not always enough.

Some cars have USB ports to connect media players(phone, etc) to the car audio system. Issue is most only provide 1 Amp for charging and that's not always enough.
Precisely why I asked. These built in USB ports may pose an issue. They are usually not a good source for powering a dash camera.

A factory port. It has a standard 5 volt - 1 amp USB ports. The A129 Duo works fine using 1 amp. I have been running two of them in two different cars, no problems. This is temporary until the 3-wire kit comes out, so I can hardwire into the fuse panel. I'm running both front and rear cameras, but I have the sounds completely turned off, the microphone on permanent mute, and the screen turns off completely after about 10 seconds at startup. No problems so far.

A factory port. It has a standard 5 volt - 1 amp USB ports. The A129 Duo works fine using 1 amp. I have been running two of them in two different cars, no problems. This is temporary until the 3-wire kit comes out, so I can hardwire into the fuse panel. I'm running both front and rear cameras, but I have the sounds completely turned off, the microphone on permanent mute, and the screen turns off completely after about 10 seconds at startup. No problems so far.
I also run the cameras in 2 cars, but my ports are 2 Amps. Just remembered however that a few years ago one of the cars was going by the old standard of 0.5 Amp, same like a USB2 port on the computer.

I got one last week and installed it yesterday. It came from china so that might be the hold up. Also viofo's post said they have a 'few' for testing, so not sure if everyone that requested one will get it.

I requested one for testing but received no response at all.

-Sam

Does anyone have the beta firmware that works with the 3 wire kit yet?

As per VIOFO support, version 1.2 works with it.

Welcome to September 2018 everyone! How are those shipments of 3-wire kits looking?

-Sam

Getting tired waiting to purchase one, today I decided to open the one I got for testing. Built quality is good. Looks identical to SGDCHW for Street Guardian except for the mini USB plug that is rotated.
Here are the images:
20180906_182811.jpg20180906_182502.jpg20180906_182257.jpg20180906_182225.jpg
It certainly looks like you can use just about anything for as long as it has 3 wires for power. If wires are not as you need (12V DC and Acc reversed) you can very easy resolder them inside

Last edited:
I must have wired my ACC to always on 12+, as it never goes into parking mode but just keeps recording normally.
Is there a big power draw difference between parking and normal mode?

I must have wired my ACC to always on 12+, as it never goes into parking mode but just keeps recording normally.
Is there a big power draw difference between parking and normal mode?
Power draw is the same

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

We are still improving the cable, need more testing before final release.

Back