A129 3-wire kit

So basically my car battery should be fine (at least for some more time than 6 months?) if I connect HK3 and set highest cutoff value?

OK, I've got a Start/Stop system, so it's possible, that I also have AGM type battery (but I have to check to be sure) - are they more durable than "regular" ones?
Also, may I ask, how many hours (minutes) would Viofo record in parking mode, when cutoff is set to highest level - I don't recall correctly right now, sth. ~12,4V?
Is it like 2 hours? 3? 6..?

OK, I've got a Start/Stop system, so it's possible, that I also have AGM type battery (but I have to check to be sure) - are they more durable than "regular" ones?
Also, may I ask, how many hours (minutes) would Viofo record in parking mode, when cutoff is set to highest level - I don't recall correctly right now, sth. ~12,4V?
Is it like 2 hours? 3? 6..?
AGM is more durable, and it also charges a lot faster, which is why it is used for Stop-Start. Very difficult to predict how many minutes, it depends on the car, driver, number of daily driving minutes, temperature, etc. With an AGM battery there is no need to user the highest setting.

Very difficult to predict how many minutes, it depends on the car, driver, number of daily driving minutes, temperature, etc.
Yeah, I'm very well aware of that. Condition and voltage of car battery is the key.
But I'm asking about your (or every other member, which uses HK3) personal experience.
It would help me grab onto something...

Yeah, I'm very well aware of that. Condition and voltage of car battery is the key.
But I'm asking about your (or every other member, which uses HK3) personal experience.
It would help me grab onto something...
You can get 24 hours recording. As a rough guide for a newish standard battery in reasonable temperatures, an hour of driving per day will keep it going 24 hours, with an AGM battery maybe half an hour will keep it going. There will be a lot of variation though, some cars have a bigger alternator than others, if it can generate twice the electricity then...

To get the 24 hours, depending on the condition of the battery, you may need to lower the cutoff voltage from maximum, which is not really an issue with an AGM battery. How low you should go with a standard battery seems rather controversial, with everybody saying different things, but without good evidence to back up their claims!

If you have Stop-Start then you may find that the system disables itself until the battery recharges, so it will cost you a bit in fuel and pollution!

Does anyone know how I can tell if it's in parking mode?. My battery was dead after a couple of days of installing the 3 hardwire. Its either my battery was already done for, or I had the acc and batt wire swap.

Well if you have the A129, it will show a vehicle icon when in regular/driving mode (ignition on) and a picture of a person when in auto motion detection mode (ignition off). There is a delay of about 4-10 seconds between modes, and the unit chirps a couple times when toggling between the modes (when you turn ignition power on or off)

Note: It also has to be programmed to operate like this, in the options menu.

I left one of my vehicles in parking mode with A129 DUO from Friday night until Monday morning, and again from Monday night until this morning(Wed), and she started right up both times. (and that is with a a battery from 2015, which should be near the end of its life) The vehicle had only 40 minutes of use on Monday, to charge the battery. The drain isn't all that big, IMO, or I would have had to jump start the vehicle.

Well if you have the A129, it will show a vehicle icon when in regular/driving mode (ignition on) and a picture of a person when in auto motion detection mode (ignition off). There is a delay of about 4-10 seconds between modes, and the unit chirps a couple times when toggling between the modes (when you turn ignition power on or off)

Note: It also has to be programmed to operate like this, in the options menu.

I left one of my vehicles in parking mode with A129 DUO from Friday night until Monday morning, and again from Monday night until this morning(Wed), and she started right up both times. (and that is with a a battery from 2015, which should be near the end of its life) The vehicle had only 40 minutes of use on Monday, to charge the battery. The drain isn't all that big, IMO, or I would have had to jump start the vehicle.
same here, have left my car parked for a few days with the hardwired A129 running in parking mode. started no problems.

Does anyone know how I can tell if it's in parking mode?. My battery was dead after a couple of days of installing the 3 hardwire. Its either my battery was already done for, or I had the acc and batt wire swap.
When turning off the ignition the screen should come on, and the camera beep for the short time it stops recording. Red led will show on camera and be lit on the main unit of the hard wire kit. Pressing the button on the left will bring the screen on, and the icon top left will indicate the mode the camera is in. This icon can be difficult to see if the background is White. In event detection parking mode the red led on the left will flash, or be solid while recording if motion is detected.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I just got a new a129 installed with hk3 hardwire kit. The installer plugged the USB cable into the GPS mount. Parking mode seems to be working fine with this setup. The mode switches modes automatically within seconds when powering on or off the car. It captured 1 minute long videos in parking mode with firmware 1.5, then the 45 seconds ones after i upgraded to firmware 1.9. It also generated some files in the RO folder when i opened door and entered the car. I'm a bit confused since Viofo mentions parking mode switch only works if USB is plugged into the camera. Am i missing something here?

Edit: found a post on Viofo forum that mentions newer A129 now works with GPS mount for parking mode, so that explains what i'm seeing.

Last edited:
Edit: found a post on Viofo forum that mentions newer A129 now works with GPS mount for parking mode, so that explains what i'm seeing.
I wonder if there's an easy way to determine which mount you have, other than the obvious of plugging the connector into the mount and turning the ignition on and off.

I wonder if there's an easy way to determine which mount you have, other than the obvious of plugging the connector into the mount and turning the ignition on and off.

Last post mentions you can check this by serial number to see if you have the updated GPS mount

Updated gps mount or not, I thought even with the 2 wire kit plugged into the mount it would go into parking mode after like 5 mins of no gps movement?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Updated gps mount or not, I thought even with the 2 wire kit plugged into the mount it would go into parking mode after like 5 mins of no gps movement?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Correct.

Reactions: Mtz
Due to COVID I am not driving my car as much. I came out and found my car battery dead after a few weeks. I want to disable parking mode but still use the HK3 kit. I know I can disable it in settings but I don’t want any draw on the battery. Can I just connect both the power and accessory wire to accessory fuses and that will make it as an on and off switch? Will that work?

Due to COVID I am not driving my car as much. I came out and found my car battery dead after a few weeks. I want to disable parking mode but still use the HK3 kit. I know I can disable it in settings but I don’t want any draw on the battery. Can I just connect both the power and accessory wire to accessory fuses and that will make it as an on and off switch? Will that work?
Yes, that should work, although the amount of power used if you turn parking mode off in the menu is quite small, no issue for a week of parking. If you are leaving the car 3 weeks then there is a possibility of the battery going flat even with the camera unplugged, it is good to start the engine for a while at least every 2 weeks, better every week.

Just pull the cable from the dashcam when not needed, no hassle with wires then.

Just pull the cable from the dashcam when not needed, no hassle with wires then.
I did that and it still drained the battery. Maybe my cable is bad now? I would rather just turn it on and off.

Ok you cut the power to the dashcam and your battery is still drained....its not the dashcam then, lol
as pulling the cable out turns it off.

Back