A129 causing FM radio interference

NZguy64

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I've read the previous threads on it but I think I've got a different problem

I've got a 2008 Camry, and the wire for the antenna amplifier runs across the passenger side headliner and down the C pillar to the antenna (its one of those printed on the window). I really can't see why the dashcam would be causing interference? As the wiring for the rear camera is on the totally opposite side of the car. None of the dashcam wiring is anywhere near the wiring for the radio antenna. So I can't even see any point in re routing the cable. Anyone have some pointers?

Do you have the rear camera cable going straight up with the excess tucked into the headliner?

If so, try pulling all that excess cable from the headliner so that the cable just dangles from the closest pillar (probably C-pillar) to the camera.

I suggest this because there was a cable running along the headliner in my Lexus that caused problems with the rear camera cable.

I have the cable running under the door sills rather than along the headliner (to avoid the curtain airbag) and then it goes up the C pillar and across to the camera. Any excess cable I tucked into a loop and secured it inside the C pillar trim

Try undoing the 'loop' and let the cable arrange itself randomly. The loop may be resonant with something in the radio system. After that, try a couple snap-on ferrite chokes located as close to the rear cam as is practical. After that try re-routing the cable however is possible away from where it is now for test purposes. Last, try relocating the cam to one side or the other.

Usually some improvement can be had with these techniques, sometimes a cure, but sometimes nothing works. Rarely a different cam will help, but there is no one model which is known to do that or known to cause problems. It is a known issue with dashcams and cars of all makes and kinds.

Phil

Also, try taking out the cable tucked into the C-pillar. Could be an antennae for the radio here.

It’s worth a try.

Seems unlikely, the antenna for the radio is on the opposite side C pillar, where there is no dashcam cables running. Thanks anyway

Back