A129 Collision Footage Lost...

After reading through this thread, why the company does not suggest the proper card to use? I never would of thought that dashcam setup is a nightmare. Before coming here I thought, just plug dashcam into cigarette lighter, turn it on and I am good, boy was I wrong.

After reading through this thread, why the company does not suggest the proper card to use? I never would of thought that dashcam setup is a nightmare. Before coming here I thought, just plug dashcam into cigarette lighter, turn it on and I am good, boy was I wrong.

There are many things a manufacturer could do to get much closer to a more truly "plug and play" product (or at least provide more insight into the causes of problems encountered), but those features must be designed into the camera from the very beginning. And these days most dashcam product designs unfortunately seem to be lacking in that regard, in one way or the other.

There are many things a manufacturer could do to get much closer to a more truly "plug and play" product (or at least provide more insight into the causes of problems encountered), but those features must be designed into the camera from the very beginning. And these days most dashcam product designs unfortunately seem to be lacking in that regard, in one way or the other.

Or there are an unlimited number of factors and variables that make it create true "plug and play" device. Viofo support told me immediately after emailing that they had adverse issues with the Sandisk Ultra Plus MicroSD. The camera would freeze up, footage wouldn't record, etc. All problems I experienced. Don't know the technical reason behind the issue, but there's clearly one.

Viofo is a business and promote the use of their own cards. Business is business.

And most importantly, there are dozens of makers, and 100s of models of MicroSD cards. Viofo isn't going to expel the resources to buy and test every card on the market for compatibility. It would be nice, but it isn't feasible or practical. Instead, you either look up online what cards people used successfully or try a model and hope for the best.

Again, my Sandisk Ultra Plus failed miserably. My Sandisk A2 Extreme (on 2 cameras) works without fail.

Last edited:
Or there are an unlimited number of factors and variables that make it hard to make something true "plug and play". Viofo support told me immediately after emailing that they had adverse issues with the Sandisk Ultra Plus MicroSD. The camera would freeze up, footage wouldn't record, etc. All problems I experienced. Don't know the technical reason behind the issue, but there's clearly one.

Viofo is a business and promote the user of their own cards.

And most importantly, there are dozens of makers, and 100s of models of MicroSD cards. Viofo isn't going to expel the resources to buy and test every card on the market for compatibility. It would be nice, but it isn't feasible or practical. Instead, you either look up online what cards people used successfully or try a model and hope for the best.

Again, my Sandisk Ultra Plus failed miserable. My Sandisk A2 Extreme (on 2 cameras) works without fail.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for you.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for you.

For what? Speaking the truth? Don't know what's crawled up your leg, but you've had an issue with people offering constructive advice.//

It's really not that big of a deal. Buy a Viofo A129 Duo +Hardwire Kit. If you have powered seats, use that fuse for Always on (Red). If you have Heated Seats or Powered Windows (use this fuse for Accessory - Powered on with Ignition). Black gets grounded to a screw. Test the fuses with an LED Tester and see if it lights up when car is off (Powered Seats) and When car is on (Heated Seats / Powered Windows).

Route the cable behind your IC-Airbags (side curtains..you'll need to remove pillar(s) in newer vehicles to route wire BEHIND airbag). You don't want the wire overlapping your safety systems and obstructing deployment.

Enjoy having your life documented and catching people on camera. Prior to a Viofo, I had someone back into my car. Caught on Camera..... And with my Viofo I had someone drive into the back of my car.... makes life a hell of a lot easier with footage in hand.

Camera will be going into my new Tacoma. No power seats but I have power windows. I am going slow on dashcam. Crap last week I was looking at Apeman before I stumbled on this site. So I will be reading for a bit, thanks for the tips

Camera will be going into my new Tacoma. No power seats but I have power windows. I am going slow on dashcam. Crap last week I was looking at Apeman before I stumbled on this site. So I will be reading for a bit, thanks for the tips

I own two A129 Duos (1080P Front+ 1080P Rear). Build quality is good. First unit I got had issue but I bought two more and no problems at all. I use Sandisk A2 Extreme 128 and 256GB MicroSd Cards in each Camera. Again, these cards work flawlessly.

Viofo makes a very good product. At some point a 4K is coming to the market, but 1080p does fine. Night recording is good. You can use the CPL filter if you don't have tinted windows to cut down on reflection glare. Recommended on front camera.

Hardwiring shouldn't be difficult. It might take a bit checking. Buy an LED voltage tester. Look at your manual. Since no power seats, you'll need to find a fuse that'll be Always On when the car is off (Battery / Red Wire) and NOT tied into an electronics / safety systems. Absoltutely NEVER tap into Airbags.

Alternate might be a 12V socket that works when car is shut off. Every vehicle is different.

Ignition = Fuse that ONLY activates once car is started. I.E. Yellow Wire Power Windows probably be OK here. Check fuses in manual to make sure it doesn't overlap with another system.

I googled Tacoma and it has side airbags, Which means you'll need to at least remove the A-Pillar to tuck the wire BEHIND the side airbag curtain. Not sure if there are any other points of deployment. Again NEVER EVER tuck wires into trim that crosses over an airbag.

Last edited:

I was much in the same boat when I began, but this site and it's people saved me from the grief of wasting time and money on a poor dashcam when much better can be had, often at similar prices. Viofo's newer "A" series cams are all good values IMHO- very few unresolved issues, good to very good hardware, good factory support, and firmware updates. No cam is perfect for everyone so it is wise to look and learn before choosing ;)

Phil

I was much in the same boat when I began, but this site and it's people saved me from the grief of wasting time and money on a poor dashcam when much better can be had, often at similar prices. Viofo's newer "A" series cams are all good values IMHO- very few unresolved issues, good to very good hardware, good factory support, and firmware updates. No cam is perfect for everyone so it is wise to look and learn before choosing ;)

Phil

Dash cams have caught my vehicle hit both times (while driving). Once I was backed into while in a parked position, but the car was in drive. And another I was rear ended. Video made things so much easier to assign fault. I mean what can be argued when everything was caught on camera.

Viofo makes a good product, not perfect. Their software to pull off videos via wifi is quite buggy. Daytime recording is superb. Nightime is "good". Many cameras struggle on night recording due to the various low light situations. CPL filter cuts down on glare, as stated.

It always amazes me how few people utilize them while driving.

To Sawmaster, it might sound intimidating, but installation really isn't that difficult. I was scared the first time and had a mechanic friend show me the basics ( I did all the wiring). He shows me how to determine fuses. When it became apparent the fuses we selected were overlapped by other systems, causing camera to turn on when doors were being locked, I adjusted things on my own after some research.

Installed a second camera on my own, without a hitch.

If you have a friend that is mechanically inclined, it might be beneficial to ask for a bit of assistance. Professional installation options are out there but range in price. However, these can be expensive and there's no guarantee your cables will be routed properly.

Many youtube videos show people "tucking" the wires Under the Headliner and Across pillars. If your car is Pre Side airbags, that's fine. But most of these videos are newer cars that have side airbags. Which means tucking is a big no no. It's often not that hard to remove the pillars. Again some research and patience will pay off here.

To Sawmaster, it might sound intimidating, but installation really isn't that difficult.

I don't know where you got that concept from but let me assure you that only the electricity present at TV transmitter and high voltage power lines intimidates me at all and I know how to work around it safely. I've designed and built a few simple electronic devices, rewired entire cars, and watched a 2800V spark jump to ground in my old Ham transmitter from a foot away :censored: I'm equally good as an automotive and motorcycle mechanic :cool:

Computers are another story and those do intimidate me- but not anything electrical or wirth installations regarding dashcams :p

Phil

I don't know where you got that concept from but let me assure you that only the electricity present at TV transmitter and high voltage power lines intimidates me at all and I know how to work around it safely. I've designed and built a few simple electronic devices, rewired entire cars, and watched a 2800V spark jump to ground in my old Ham transmitter from a foot away :censored: I'm equally good as an automotive and motorcycle mechanic :cool:

Computers are another story and those do intimidate me- but not anything electrical or wirth installations regarding dashcams :p

Phil

Well I meant it as a comment in jest. The first time you do something is always a learning curve. Once you get over the hump, it becomes much easier.

I've designed and built a few simple electronic devices, rewired entire cars, and watched a 2800V spark jump to ground in my old Ham transmitter from a foot away :censored:
Spark transmitters are illegal, but fantastic devices to play with :geek:
Just need to be careful of all that dangerous UV that they give off :cool:

Now might be a good time to remind first timers here with electric or hybrid vehicles to keep clear of the usually brightly colored wires that can in some cases can be carrying up to 650 VDC, which is more than enough to electrocute.

And airbag wiring in all vehicles, which is most often sheathed in bright orange, is best avoided too or serious injury could occur. They pack a wallop and you don't want to set one off, especially if you are in a more vulnerable position than sitting in a seat.

If you don't have any relevant experience, then research first, wire second. And ask someone if you're not certain. You'll likely be able to find someone here willing to help.

Now might be a good time to remind first timers here with electric or hybrid vehicles to keep clear of the usually brightly colored wires that can in some cases can be carrying up to 650 VDC, which is more than enough to electrocute.

And airbag wiring in all vehicles, which is most often sheathed in bright orange, is best avoided too or serious injury could occur. They pack a wallop and you don't want to set one off, especially if you are in a more vulnerable position than sitting in a seat.

If you don't have any relevant experience, then research first, wire second. And ask someone if you're not certain. You'll likely be able to find someone here willing to help.

This is why all hybrid vehicles are clearly marked, so if there's an accident, and first responders

Sawmaster had me youtubing spark gap transmitters. Never heard of one. Appears this is the very first incantation of the telegraph?

Sawmaster had me youtubing spark gap transmitters. Never heard of one. Appears this is the very first incantation of the telegraph?
No, the wired telegraph had been around for years, they were the first wireless telegraphy device.

The big problem with them is that they broadcast on all frequencies from long wave to ultraviolet simultaneously and kill all other communications, so unless you have an underground cave and a special license, you can't use them any more.

No, the wired telegraph had been around for years, they were the first wireless telegraphy device.

The big problem with them is that they broadcast on all frequencies from long wave to ultraviolet simultaneously and kill all other communications, so unless you have an underground cave and a special license, you can't use them any more.

and yet they appear easy to create and assemble... for something illegal, I imagine it'd be damn near impossible to enforce.

T'was a cracked insulator on the plate cap connection to the transmitter final valve. Made quite a loud 'pop' along with the spark :eek: Very hard to find that valve anymore- it was one of the last designed for use as in the 'sweep' circuit of color TV's.

Phil

and yet they appear easy to create and assemble... for something illegal, I imagine it'd be damn near impossible to enforce.
I think if you used one regularly then you would soon be found, and when everyone in the neighbourhood discovered who was killing their mobile phones, wifi, TV, radio, satelite, etc. then you would be in real trouble!

I have seen one demonstrated, underground so it didn't cause problems, and seeing the spark throw enough energy through the air to cause a decent spark in the receiver when the receiver was completely unpowered was quite impressive, the power for the receiver spark was transmitted through the air - means that it could create sparks inside your neighbours TVs, computers etc and destroy them if they happen to have cables of the right length to act as an antenna! This was equipment that Marconi used to transmit a wireless message across the Atlantic, so it may not just be close neighbours that are after you!

Interference from use a spark gap transmitter lead to the Titanic not receiving an iceberg warning, and you know the end result of that!

Back