A129 - Date Constantly resets to Default / Camera Restarts every 60 seconds / Support Lackluster at best

Gardidien

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a A129 in my car for about 3 months and it was working great. Then about two weeks ago I had to go and remove some footage after I witnessed an accident. I had turned off my car and drove a short distance again twice before pulling the memory card to check it (This is important). To my surprise the newest dated files were from about a month ago and a few dated 2018-01-01 6:00AM to about 6:45AMish. The files I needed didn't seem to be on the card. After investigating a bit further and observing the behavior of the camera I found out what was happening. The camera would reset the date and time every time I turned the car on. Writing the newest footage to 2018-01-01 6:00AM and start creating files in increments from there. Then I'd turn the car off, turn it on again when I went to drive, and it would overwrite the newest video because it thought it was the oldest! The important video footage of the accident I witnessed was gone...

I researched online to see what would case the date problem and found out that my timezone could be off so I checked that and it was set correctly. The camera was also working correctly for 3 months until it decided not to out of the blue.

In my research I found out that my unit was one release behind on the firmware so I decided to update it and see if that fixed the issue. After installing the update the camera now boots up, shows the incorrect factory default date, turns off, and repeats. This happens regardless of how or where it's powered, what cable I use, or what memory card I have inserted in the camera. I even tried installing the firmware update again to no avail.

I reached out to support and they took 4 days to even answer my initial email. I had included all my troubleshooting steps, all the details about my camera, memory card, how it was connected, the firmware, and even a copy of my sales receipt so they'd know it was still under warranty. When I finally heard back from support they asked me to try powering it from another USB port which I said I already done. I responded right away only to wait 48 hours to get a response back. Then they said to use the original cable that came with the camera and try again (which I already did and told them as much in my original ticket). Then 24 hours later they said to upgrade the firmware (which I already did and told them so in my original email).

It's now 12 days since I reported the ticket and I'm no closer to a resolution. I feel that support skipped over all the troubleshooting I already did and are dragging this out as long as possible until I get frustrated and give up. In their last correspondence with me they said the camera might have to go in for repair. Support is located in China and if I have to send it back over there I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't want to drive around without a camera for an extended period of time. 12 days is already too long.

Has anyone else had to send a camera in for repair? Where did you have to send it and how long did it take to get it back?

I had a Mobius Action Camera in my windshield for two years that I also used strapped to my RC Helicopter. That thing survived all sorts of falls, crashes, and weather elements and finally died after a 400ft crash onto concrete. I really wish I had bought a replacement and stuck with that.

One possibility - your symptoms could be caused by a faulty Real time clock (RTC) battery in the camera. If GPS does not update the date/time, the camera depends on a rechargeable button battery inside the camera to maintain the date/time clock when the camera is not powered. If the RTC battery is run down or defective, then on power up the date/time may then be reset to the default date/time associated with the particular firmware version you are running. If the camera has been left unpowered for a while, you could try powering the camera with a USB wall charger for a few hours which might revive the battery. Otherwise, you may have to return the camera to your seller.

Warranty is through Spytec, just contact them for replacement, no need to wait 2 weeks for someone in China

This exactly. You'll find SpyTec very good to deal with on warranties, and with them being in NY the shipping time will be minimal.

Phil

Warranty is through Spytec, just contact them for replacement, no need to wait 2 weeks for someone in China

Thank you for this! I’d much rather deal with the seller than the manufacturer in China.

One possibility - your symptoms could be caused by a faulty Real time clock (RTC) battery in the camera. If GPS does not update the date/time, the camera depends on a rechargeable button battery inside the camera to maintain the date/time clock when the camera is not powered. If the RTC battery is run down or defective, then on power up the date/time may then be reset to the default date/time associated with the particular firmware version you are running. If the camera has been left unpowered for a while, you could try powering the camera with a USB wall charger for a few hours which might revive the battery. Otherwise, you may have to return the camera to your seller.

Thank you for that insight. The car gets driven every day so the battery wouldn’t have had the opportunity to discharge but I guess it’s possible that it’s faulty. Whatever the cause I think the unit needs to be replaced.

This exactly. You'll find SpyTec very good to deal with on warranties, and with them being in NY the shipping time will be minimal.

Phil

That’s good to hear. I’ve sent them an email and will see how they respond. Thanks!

Thank you for this! I’d much rather deal with the seller than the manufacturer in China.

Thank you for that insight. The car gets driven every day so the battery wouldn’t have had the opportunity to discharge but I guess it’s possible that it’s faulty. Whatever the cause I think the unit needs to be replaced.

That’s good to hear. I’ve sent them an email and will see how they respond. Thanks!
Could you give an update.
thanks.

SpyTec no longer sells dashcams or surveillance gear nor offers any service for them. They didn't exclude a return to selling dashcams but said it was unlikely.

Phil

SpyTec no longer sells dashcams or surveillance gear nor offers any service for them. They didn't exclude a return to selling dashcams but said it was unlikely.

Phil
It was a year gee two years ago so i was curious if it got resolved. Just thought it odd if the new unit battery was stuffed. ;)

Back