A129 Duo as Side-Facing Cameras

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
Earlier this year I installed 2No B1W side-facing cameras in my car. The cylinder design fits well with the fixed rear window shape, and the recorded video is adequate for the price. However I have encountered a few issues that led me to consider upgrading the side cameras with the pre-production A129 Duo that I received for testing from @viofo.

So far I have only installed the main camera unit on one side for comparison alongside the B1W, but the results are so overwhelmingly positive that I will soon install the 'rear' camera on the other side. I may be able to find a better position for the A129 after I remove the B1W. I have dark-tinted rear privacy glass windows, so the A129 will not be very noticeable from outside. It's also on the driver's side so it does not obstruct my view of the road at all.

Having ports for the power cable on top of the GPS mount and on the side of the camera unit provides some flexibility on where to mount the camera. Here, I have used a straight cable into the side of the main unit. The A129 has enough up/down range to accommodate the near-vertical side window.

y4mqYHhQMO8xi7iSE02m4BoxM5UzVmgso8Ce3FtqvYN-SwC1-7PCdaUgKVhpG6xX--nNWSfLanZS_3XYV2OV7SMomTMiXkrTcL-pgAeXIB6GQcSSzhlBVaJgDuPKscFE2RSg_nQy9YhXhPrB41X5RT-H30VeYKABnn38Tgqau5BwnTjZdXUUoWGxQTrEn6QIXjDQw1QYk0NG8bmsu6QQpqetg

Comparison Screenshots

Stationary, whilst parking:
y4mCvYpEowyg8RZNg8mJy2kbv-BhFhz7EDc_MjnxT3qs2hjEL3DlWUsL4AOE6wRNXhtB6T9izhFMNHUDlHLuSQ_5vivsa-qs3RhY8AARX6KaHxDFK2ZmCf-12Gz6QeLKcCV3yZaoUi_dVHtg14xEDQUZ8ndNXShOkm7YLeh_2ExAa0v-naVr6eN2ApkrH6UCH5JL78mQIJTP-6jZeNtHGwX7Q

y4me-irtoXv2Bjxz_-TkBqCMXcUeoK_F5bmjKAS6WHfRfMHwXaz9gSgEYwTAfkDluaQKtyEmhGeT-SRi_bXdauvagiB7mrTuPWr6D32-fitdIqwWn39XZGmlssbXAwLhXyfqAEBBUPjfFF8LmGbe4LPk7XG9ggBUsA7dBcaHd4eayiZZKPo_kl71CKKxlLwtpaJlzWkyv1torbDY2RGa0rLow

Moving slowly - passing cyclist:
y4mWHQlw521XLY0-EWoSj5QsG0oxS3Nm78fW__xlfz0xmtLjZL8gCcvEfKEB8ZUxRCQAmawJ2G1qkCkYjSWPGjrhW4pfSSPjsbRann0lRxwcho6iCMbHMS2qVO3nRGXRoC7CoDEJS-9CbIdN67s0p8gTh6s3-V7MRy09yOY38DFbfE8Fpn4RUaOfgLMNMkXN79sRVt1c0HeyqSP4WHSjr8fDw

y4mI4LHiF2Bfjd1lPBzqMp94e7v2BOAnaPSSUgSDDDoWGc7GW4INLAh5uNSjUqnl_p3qDJ3ceoDM01wEVeCwstNxfovWlXgGKuHK_rT7G773Ysw8-JQG6yaOy_v1u-HeQ9AsbMkHl9Y4W6LOTdrKl6xoleSDFRMHS6CVxz_JbZQcIM9eh4D167_qGqaOfp-1J3NVxSEoDGyVaHVk8L1w9pjiw

Driving quickly with slow-passing vehicle
y4mXlw_BkvNDgRtSKKBT554e7BNolxwy4ETmn5WvlAlGGx5lC46ob0dJzE3MRcb78LM4t_Io6kRiPdQueRS_QBWT7ocXnmYVWt8w7fzr-8ivMKRiWoRB2P98ycZ-F0NX6JcGRiookf83fznWMVhrjr2q2c39ctMTI6Ms9WogPPlUDr7dYecKjL9i20MJKTuP0dfMlEzApj-KXcinjFh9AW_xQ

y4mmPAslY-ffRbPLGfHDPN832GJajwxW-MCCGOeROpfXS3ghwEhOAFLCztf15kh9mdRAnl422Jp6abygOrQYPOROJ65LKCeArVSg-YUb4tHhSJJXvxVxTiYME7LP9vWoG1GtZORNsT-HrfsgrD3clClnodWL6rc3oQuCnMzuy0Qz0QwPpguO9mWE1dPGXlbD5X0r06U_2fVmujjrB_hXoZz_Q

Stopped at junction at night:
y4m0sNsErZ6XbDx7boXSf8o5snMicf0jLkVLhbxzoUySbXf-6eMrUJNPiAA7t8BLKUhTFLIx2uR7Gxx7ulorKdjb45FLMPJyCp89uBhclsPM3RqUbowisVCvAL9m-t_O5Ovf1jmr__WCTX4O3HL0oGKkn4WbkeyK7woZsvzQbB1cyhKmmedn_LoEVGglaOR_lWff22x8ZXUcDF90J5kkdFtNA

y4mQPNVXP0HeOYR_NTaEdWfdVLKhWMdX2xqPTg6gZ0RhSuJY5ANrxyp5H1GohppmZCn28q-4a_MsZq1rrCxEXumd6Pe6CIGQHBFlnL1Efd0BGlyJn8HO6O66Is2K-_3oAwU2Vu0hqTYFTShGeTJS63CDReTuxxF-xMd4LKWlsbiq8ly10Sg7up0HL6B3IC4NJQZv6kkmrkcnHJql3rcpnnYLQ

Benefits of A129 Duo over B1W for side camera use:
- Better video definition
- Less motion blur
- Wider dynamic range
- GPS to maintain time & date (both my B1W keep losing settings and revert to sometime in 2015)
- Improved low light visibility
- Optional bluetooth remote to trigger event recording
- Only one 5V power cable

Benefits of 2x B1W over A129 Duo:
- Cheaper (Amazon UK prices - A129=£130 / 2No B1W=£100)
- More discreet / smaller
- Slightly wider field of view

Ideally I would like to use a dual-remote system for my side-facing cameras so that I don't have the larger camera unit in my side window. Perhaps something like the forthcoming SG9663DR. However as it is, it's not really intrusive and I'm very happy with the video quality improvements.

I still like my B1Ws and I'll be looking for a suitable use for them.

Last edited:
Ideally I would like to use a dual-remote system for my side-facing cameras so that I don't have the larger camera unit in my side window. Perhaps something like the forthcoming SG9663DR. However as it is, it's not really intrusive and I'm very happy with the video quality improvements.

When you get 2x A129 then you will have two of the smaller cameras for side mounting, I don't see a problem with putting one of the big ones on the rear window.

I wonder how 2x A129 works with the remote control? Can they both pair to the same remote?
If you have two remotes, since they automatically pair up, do they select which remote goes with which camera randomly so the remote for the sides keeps swapping with the remote for the front/back?!

Your B1Ws will make for good interior cameras, one for each row of seats!

Reactions: Mtz
When you get 2x A129 then you will have two of the smaller cameras for side mounting, I don't see a problem with putting one of the big ones on the rear window.

I wonder how 2x A129 works with the remote control? Can they both pair to the same remote?
If you have two remotes, since they automatically pair up, do they select which remote goes with which camera randomly so the remote for the sides keeps swapping with the remote for the front/back?!

With 2 A129 cameras, you need 2 bluetooth remotes. You pair one remote to one camera and the other remote to the other camera. They should always stay paired to that camera until you manually default the cameras settings or install new firmware. I had a customer do just this.

I do have 2x A129, but I don't really want to put the larger camera unit on the rear window, although to be fair I haven't tried it.

My bluetooth remote is paired with one camera, so it does not trigger the other one.

I'm going to try mounting a B1W on the driver's door, looking at the wing mirror.

I'm going to try mounting a B1W on the driver's door, looking at the wing mirror.
I like that position, this was a Git1 (same sensor), has a surprisingly good chance of reading plates:
Yes, it is mounted inside the car.

I like that position, this was a Git1 (same sensor), has a surprisingly good chance of reading plates:
Yes, it is mounted inside the car.
Yes, I remembered your video which is why I was thinking about a mirror view.

The B1W gave a better picture than the viofo. Yes, motion blur is bad enough that I finally truly comprehend the meaning of the word. However, the bricks in the buildings are much clearer and distinguished in the B1W picture than the viofo.

In the building on the left the B1W shows the mortar between the bricks while the viofo does not. The next building on the right is also much better defined by the B1W than the 129. The side of the wall is also captured much better by the B1W than the viofo. Either the viofo is out of focus or the B1W is better at gathering details when motion blur and night are not issues.

Look at the dandelions on the right side of the driveway. Count how many white dandilion heads the viofo 129 gathered and then count how many dandelion heads the B1W shows. Where are the viofo dandelions by the sidewalk? The B1W shows them clearly. The number of dandelions captured by each cam is not even close to being comparable. Look at the green plants in front of teh fence just behind the cars left taillight. They are not as sharp on the viofo as on the B1W. If I was to make a buying decision on this one picture alone I would buy the B1W. I assume this is just a focus problem on the A129 that is easily fixed with a slight twist of the lens. If you have not swapped lenses on the viofo a129 why is the picture quality so bad?

Earlier this year I installed 2No B1W side-facing cameras in my car.

Comparison Screenshots

Moving slowly - passing cyclist:
y4mWHQlw521XLY0-EWoSj5QsG0oxS3Nm78fW__xlfz0xmtLjZL8gCcvEfKEB8ZUxRCQAmawJ2G1qkCkYjSWPGjrhW4pfSSPjsbRann0lRxwcho6iCMbHMS2qVO3nRGXRoC7CoDEJS-9CbIdN67s0p8gTh6s3-V7MRy09yOY38DFbfE8Fpn4RUaOfgLMNMkXN79sRVt1c0HeyqSP4WHSjr8fDw

y4mI4LHiF2Bfjd1lPBzqMp94e7v2BOAnaPSSUgSDDDoWGc7GW4INLAh5uNSjUqnl_p3qDJ3ceoDM01wEVeCwstNxfovWlXgGKuHK_rT7G773Ysw8-JQG6yaOy_v1u-HeQ9AsbMkHl9Y4W6LOTdrKl6xoleSDFRMHS6CVxz_JbZQcIM9eh4D167_qGqaOfp-1J3NVxSEoDGyVaHVk8L1w9pjiw

Benefits of A129 Duo over B1W for side camera use:
- Better video definition

The B1W gave a better picture than the viofo.
I'm afraid I don't agree with you. I think what you are seeing is the result of higher contrast and sharpening on the B1W. On the A129 I'm running a beta MOD-4Rf firmware by @BCHobbyist with reduced sharpening and improved edge detection to minimise over-sharpening and halos. You can see my comparison between MOD-4Rf and the original Viofo firmware HERE. I prefer the results from the MOD FW, but you may not.

Let's take a look at some of the things you mention, with 100% crops from both screenshots:

In the building on the left the B1W shows the mortar between the bricks while the viofo does not. The next building on the right is also much better defined by the B1W than the 129. The side of the wall is also captured much better by the B1W than the viofo. Either the viofo is out of focus or the B1W is better at gathering details when motion blur and night are not issues.
1538728718661.png 1538728776181.png 1538730443966.png 1538730499185.png
The B1W has higher contrast and sharpening, so yes, the individual bricks and mortar stand out more. The A129 does show the mortar between the bricks, it's just more subtle and natural in my opinion. In the B1W the window frames are pure white with almost no detail, whereas the A129 shows greater detail.

Look at the dandelions on the right side of the driveway. Count how many white dandilion heads the viofo 129 gathered and then count how many dandelion heads the B1W shows. Where are the viofo dandelions by the sidewalk? The B1W shows them clearly. The number of dandelions captured by each cam is not even close to being comparable.
1538729524626.png 1538729593501.png
Those 'white dandelions' are actually green leaves. There are no flowers in the garden - I know because I walk past it every day. The leaves look bright because the B1W has over-exposed them, and their size is exaggerated by over-sharpening. You can see a similar effect with the leaves at the end of the driveway by the edge of the road:
1538729981605.png 1538730005409.png

Look at the green plants in front of teh fence just behind the cars left taillight. They are not as sharp on the viofo as on the B1W.
1538730600843.png 1538730636493.png
Again, I would say the B1W has over-sharpened the frame at the expense of fine detail.

If I was to make a buying decision on this one picture alone I would buy the B1W.
We all see images differently, and what is important to one person may not be quite so important to the next. For me, the A129 produces a more natural-looking and better-defined image with finer detail & texture, and less blown highlights. The B1W image is bright and punchy, but in my opinion less representative of what I see with my own eyes.

One thing is for sure, side cameras really need light to be any good at speed.
Its just a handful of frames you have to get a capture on a oncoming car, even less if we just talk about a plate.

One thing is for sure, side cameras really need light to be any good at speed.
Its just a handful of frames you have to get a capture on a oncoming car, even less if we just talk about a plate.
Indeed. But I'm not really using side cameras to capture oncoming cars - except ones approaching from the side at junctions.

Let's take a look at some of the things you mention, with 100% crops from both screenshots:
View attachment 42243View attachment 42245View attachment 42253 View attachment 42254
The B1W has higher contrast and sharpening, so yes, the individual bricks and mortar stand out more. The A129 does show the mortar between the bricks, it's just more subtle and natural in my opinion. In the B1W the window frames are pure white with almost no detail, whereas the A129 shows greater detail.
To me, it is more important that on the A129 you can recognise the cyclist, you can even see their brake lever clearly, while on the B1W you can't see the handlebars let alone the brake lever! There is far less motion blur on the A129, even when the A129 has a CPL filter and the B1W doesn't, the A129 still has less motion blur.

However, looking at your house cutouts, I took them both and equalised the contrast/colour balance/saturation/sharpness etc in a photo editor, A129 on the left:
y4mKwlWv7sxHyU1g-Aiaukq8oe2BqRHqwxIWyMZcXI3earq52LiFXSKtMg2JPsQysJ-c3bmkS2aNzn40gAxIMSmwJ8TF1O6mAfC87IoUTa6i5UtS9SvYaK7flO7RuPEU04Uttmdrh7E9ty22uxAfnjNCbttffiBMJFwi6s-ZE4k9J3PNIR3Zs-3Y0W4ckHIjUwe

This shows that the A129 has all the detail of the B1W and a lot more - the bricks are just as clear and you can see the blinds inside the window which are missing on the B1W.

You really want to view the A129 video on an HDR TV/monitor to see all the detail available...

No not really any sense in that, unless you manage to see yourself something worth saving going on in that car.
It is pretty rare i go to my side cameras for footage, but i would not be without them by now.

I installed the A129 rear camera on the other side window, and TBH it does look a lot more discreet than the main camera unit. I'm happy with my setup for now. I'll investigate locating the main camera unit near the rear screen, but I will have to research new mounting options to what I'm using at the moment.

y4mFaO4THA_ndXSWeEw2Hmas9R5QZB_jrjMtBkRrISuJnEaN1KQU3Vc3B7IqpLFyzBXANll8Sow3_IhAGj8Q7T1QN_kChM7KZxuYvMOzBbWIHXw4MAseQL68SucaXUh1ssdykq6dZ7o0biDXG4yM2TnewOTrdY2VIFZjd4PfTp2UgrPp-O61W48ySbQfdkHN2sbw60ZurUhKo25An7P58cqhQ

y4m5FiwwftvEc4e5Fsw5om3BY_KRLvtsNzr0rIo-8jOuFX4PhWpEVbNMMAZ9losLMfQuv1fRRCvoWBmqCNEWTr5wLkvMln0_6THoQVNGM_bcZZ8DDx1NproyQaFlAe12zEsIpDQZ7BtNvEMlsax0O8270R4yRj9crFLECJpRPfRyGaLC66K1FwRGtUfY-Wjj8Mnna7Ao_r3rdJ6ONDdsNmtJg

I installed the A129 rear camera on the other side window, and TBH it does look a lot more discreet than the main camera unit. I'm happy with my setup for now. I'll investigate locating the main camera unit near the rear screen, but I will have to research new mounting options to what I'm using at the moment.
Today I spent an hour relocating cameras and re-routing cables, to put my second A129 on the rear hatch and have the 'rear' camera units on the side windows. I didn't like it. The straight/angled connector cables were not ideal, having an extra cable coming off the hatch was awkward, the main camera did not have quite enough angle adjustment and it was more visible to drivers following behind. Plus, I like the simplicity of one Duo recording front/back and the other one recording left/right. Somehow having front/left and rear/right just didn't sit well with me!

So I spent another hour putting everything back, with some minor improvements in cable routing.

I like the simplicity of one Duo recording front/back and the other one recording left/right.
do you have plans on trying it?
in this case you may use a left/right cameras only during parking.

do you have plans on trying it?
in this case you may use a left/right cameras only during parking.
Yes, I have one A129Duo setup recording front/back, and another setup to record left/right.
I power them both from powerbanks when parked, but if I forget to charge them and I only have one, I can decide whether I want front/back or the sides depending on where I am parked.

Yes, I have one A129Duo setup recording front/back, and another setup to record left/right.
I power them both from powerbanks when parked, but if I forget to charge them and I only have one, I can decide whether I want front/back or the sides depending on where I am parked.
you don't drive much do you? you can charge the power banks while you drive. my power banks draw up to 2A each during charging if depleted ~50%-60%.

you don't drive much do you? you can charge the power banks while you drive. my power banks draw up to 2A each during charging if depleted ~50%-60%.
Yes, I could charge them whilst driving. That would save me from bringing them inside every couple of days. It's just one part of my setup that I haven't completed yet. Until recently, all of my USB ports were in use powering all the cameras.

Yes, I could charge them whilst driving. That would save me from bringing them inside every couple of days. It's just one part of my setup that I haven't completed yet. Until recently, all of my USB ports were in use powering all the cameras.
The downside of recharging in the car would be a shorter alternator (or generator) life. I bet it is cheaper to buy electricity for this task compared to wearing out alternators.

The downside of recharging in the car would be a shorter alternator (or generator) life. I bet it is cheaper to buy electricity for this task compared to wearing out alternators.
Should I stop using 7 cameras too?

Back