A129 Duo - GPS module failure?

Hilts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo, A129, Duo & Mobius Maxi 4K (with capacitor)
I purchased my A129 from VIOFO Ltd, via Amazon UK, on 24th September 2018. It has functioned very well for a while and it used to obtain a GPS signal less than 20-30 seconds after of being turned on.

Recently, however, the GPS receiver module appears to have stopped working. On playback of the videos the Speed and Location information are now missing, having been present when I first started using this.
I get a message on screen telling me ‘No GPS’ whilst the GPS function is ‘On’ in the Settings Menu - I've checked the GPS function is 'On' (both using the VIOFO App and on the A129 directly). The 'No GPS' message remains regardless of how the unit has been on for, i.e., it never obtains a GPS signal.

The A129 is correctly attached to the GPS module:
ZvMFqloPQoCkalFOAtWGtg.jpg

I have tried the following:
1. Resetting the unit - both within the A129 Menu and also using the 'Reset' on the side.
2. Reloading the Firmware (V1.3).
3. Connecting the mini USB power supply directly to the GPS module and also via the USB port on the side. The unit powers up normally with both.
4. Using a mains 1A USB (phone charger) supply to the GPS module and also via the USB port on the side. Again the unit powers up normally with both.

Any ideas what else I could try?
Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

I'm suspecting the GPS module has failed - but thought I'd check with the gurus on here first!

Yes, but I believe they have a system in place to handle warranty issues on the VIOFO.com support page.

Thanks. Just tried that but, sadly, makes no difference.

Do VIOFO have an active presence on DCT?
yes they do.
for a test => try to move the GPS mount + camera to a different spot or just remove the GPS mount from the windshield to see if it will work.
what other equipment / devices do you use at the same time?

Yes, but I believe they have a system in place to handle warranty issues on the VIOFO.com support page.
Thank you. I’ll see what they can do to resolve this.
Much appreciated.

yes they do.
for a test => try to move the GPS mount + camera to a different spot or just remove the GPS mount from the windshield to see if it will work.
what other equipment / devices do you use at the same time?
The unit used to work well in the position it was in. Nothing else has been added to the car the since.
On testing out of the car the issue remains the same.

I’ve raised a ticket with VIOFO.com - will post an update later, once some progress is made.

I believe someone else had a bent pin issue or similar that caused this. Double-check all mating connections to make sure you don't have any bent connections.

-Sam

I read the A119 had this problem, where the GPS module was not coupling physically with the base unit, so that might be the cause as others have pointed out. I thought they fixed it with the A119 and hopefully whatever they did was carred over to the A129. But maybe that is not the case.

I believe someone else had a bent pin issue or similar that caused this. Double-check all mating connections to make sure you don't have any bent connections.

-Sam
Thanks Sam. Just checked - all four connectors are locating perfectly (no sign of imperfections).

Last edited:
Contact Amazon, they will replace or refund.
Thanks Mike. I didn’t spot the problem until I was just outside Amazon’s 30 day refund or replace period, unfortunately!

Last edited:
I read the A119 had this problem, where the GPS module was not coupling physically with the base unit, so that might be the cause as others have pointed out. I thought they fixed it with the A119 and hopefully whatever they did was carred over to the A129. But maybe that is not the case.
I have a Mk.1 A119S with original “pin” connectors, which used to get stuck. VIOFO fixed this with new design connectors - which the A129 has. Pretty sure the connectors are all fine as it starts up regardless of which power supply connection is used.

This is the first time I’ve had an issue with anything from VIOFO. Fingers crossed they’ll resolve it.

Last edited:
I think if you contact VIOFO they will send you another GPS module. It's a US $19.99 item. I can't see them making a fuss over it espesically when you have the power to post about it here.

I think if you contact VIOFO they will send you another GPS module. It's a US $19.99 item. I can't see them making a fuss over it espesically when you have the power to post about it here.
Ticket raised, so fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Thanks Mike. I didn’t spot the problem until I was just outside Amazon’s 30 day refund or replace period, unfortunately!
Still worth contacting them, I had an outdoor light that became faulty after 14 months but within the manufacturers 18 month warranty. Amazon refunded me.

Still worth contacting them, I had an outdoor light that became faulty after 14 months but within the manufacturers 18 month warranty. Amazon refunded me.
Thanks Mike, duly noted. I’m going to see what @viofo can do to assist first.

PM replied, we can send a new GPS mount to you to check.
Thank you, that’ll be great. I’ll let you know when it arrives & if that fixes the issue.

After receiving the replacement GPS mount in the post today, I am pleased to advise that the A129 Duo is back in full working order (with GPS location and speeds being recorded).

Many thanks (Bill) @viofo for you help in swiftly resolving this! :)

Back