A129 Duo High-Pitched Noise?

I didn't use the diode, since I changed the HK3 hardwire kit, and the camera is almost silent. The new kit is 5.16V with camera operating. Now instead of that disturbing continous noise, there is an intermitent, much quieter noise, which is not a problem anymore.

Dang it, i was waiting for the diode trick. :p Out of curiosity, could you let us look under the hood of the HK3?

@Nigel Do you think the 0.04V difference makes the high-pitched noise?

Dang it, i was waiting for the diode trick. :p Out of curiosity, could you let us look under the hood of the HK3?

@Nigel Do you think the 0.04V difference makes the high-pitched noise?
When it comes to switching noise, small differences can make a big difference.
But it is the voltage received by the camera that is the important measurement, it could be that this HK has a different cable resulting in more/less voltage drop. It is also not the average voltage that matters, it is possible the difference is the quality of the capacitor on the output of the HK resulting in a smoother/noisier supply voltage.

I still think a diode may solve it, but if I had one of these HKs then I might try adding a good quality capacitor, maybe even at the camera end of the cable. (Actually I already have a capacitor at the camera end of the cable as part of my parking mode on/off toggle switch, and my camera is silent as far as I can detect.)

I didn't use the diode, since I changed the HK3 hardwire kit, and the camera is almost silent. The new kit is 5.16V with camera operating. Now instead of that disturbing continous noise, there is an intermitent, much quieter noise, which is not a problem anymore.

When you say, "NEW kit," are you referring to a replacement HK3 you got from the distributor or a Brand NEW design from Viofo?

Out of curiosity, could you let us look under the hood of the HK3?
I already posted 2 pictures a few messages ago (it's post #98).
It is a replacement of the same kit, not the upgraded version.
The cable looks identical, and yes, maybe the capacitor inside is better, I cannot check that.

SEAT Leon MK3 2017

Well, that's about as far away from a Honda as you can get, so it doesn't sound like the problem is manufacturer specific.

I just received an email from Viofo, who said that the new HK3 has different components, but they didn't elaborate.

I appreciate Viofo sending a replacement card, but for some reason it didn't solve the problem. However, I believe I have narrowed it down to the hard wire kit.

With car running, the camera was unplugged from the hard wire kit and left to shut down.

Test A: It was plugged back in to the hard wire kit cable, powered up for a 15 second video, then unplugged and left to shut down, again.

Test B: It was plugged into the power adapter cable (which uses the cigarette lighter port), powered up for another 15 second video, then unplugged and left to shut down, again.

Conclusion:
Test A with hard wire kit: Whine is clearly present
Test B with power adapter: Silent

It's as simple as that.

Yes, that's what other members have concluded as well.

Viofo is currently sending (5) beta test kits to various members of this forum (me included). Unfortunately, that's all they have right now. I checked and there is no ETA on when these newly designed kits will be available at resellers. My guess is they'll likely wait until they get feedback from their beta testers, which makes sense. I also asked for details on what changed, but I haven't heard back yet. I'll update this thread when I know more.

BTW, for anyone who is considering a new dashcam, I have been very impressed with Viofo. They openly participate in this forum, are quick to address support requests, and actually use the information they've obtained from their customers to improve the company's products. This is a very well run company, in my opinion, and I have absolutely no regrets purchasing (2) A129's, even in light of the noise problems I'm currently having, which they are actively working on.

Has no one considered that the main difference between the cigarette lighter and the HK3 hardwire kit is the yellow (switched ignition accessory) wire carrying only 4.0 - 4.5 volts as measured by bnedea above? Perhaps the camera power supply is expecting a higher voltage (5v) on that pin? This can be confirmed by a two simple tests:

Test 1: Temporarily cut/disconnect yellow wire on the usb side of the HK3 to determine if the whine disappears. If it does then you've found the issue, although the A129 will only operate without automatic parking mode, exactly as if connected to cigarette lighter power adapter.

Test 2: If after performing that first test you find that the two remaining pins connected on the usb jack are not the same as would be connected with the cigarette lighter power adapter, then temporarily inject 5v onto the yellow usb-side wire by tapping into the red usb-side wire. With 5v on each wire, determine if whine persists.

If positive results, then you can probably wire a solid state relay into the HK3 to hack/fix until Viofo corrects the problem properly.

(These suggestions do not come with any guarantee. Perform at your own risk and only if you know what you are doing and willing to accept any and all risks.)

That's an interesting theory and something I may test later today. Thanks for sharing it with us.

[UPDATE]

Viofo sent me a beta version of its new HK3 Hardwire Kit the beginning of June. I've now had a chance to test the new kit, which looks identical to the old version, and it seems to have resolved the high-pitched noise problem I was having in my 2012 Honda CR-V. Not sure what they did or when the updated HK3 kits will be available. Perhaps Bill from Viofo can address this.

Great!! I am willing to buy if the noise issue is cleared.

I have received updated kit and confirm that everything is OK now. No pitch sound anymore.

I wonder what was the actual problem then. :)

I already posted 2 pictures a few messages ago (it's post #98).
Sorry, i thought you were talking about an updated version.

I wonder what was the actual problem then. :)

Sorry, i thought you were talking about an updated version.

The new kit looks exactly same with old one. So question can be answered Viofo only.

Insides are exactly the same?

I hope my hard wire kit is the updated one if there is such a thing. On the new ones sent to you is the wire the same?

Back