A129 Duo IR (Infrared Beta unit) compared to the A129 Duo Viofo.

IR cameras can be quite interesting, my car seats are bright pink in IR colour, but dark blue in human colour, but most of my clothes are fairly normal.

So far, you have only posted monochrome video... boring!
March the 26 I did post colour but for reasons I'm not sure of it recorded as mono.

@Nigel Heres some colour!

This is a simple setup to measure the current drawn from the battery when the Infrared leds glow.
You can tell there on because the screen reflects the bright leds. You'll see what I mean.
One thing I can't be sure of is due to the images being almost static it may put less demand of the Dash cam's current drawn.
If gives you some idea however.

Its about a minute long.

Here you can see how bright the infrared is on a dark road
I have split the video so you can see how dark.

Here is the Viofo 129 IR mounted on the windscreen.
Video to follow tonight my time I hope.

Last edited:
I placed the A129 Duo IR in another car with the (rear_camera) facing into the cabin as intended.
I suspect the unit was on the auto colour setting given the results.

Some colours are correct in the vehicle and outside. I've pointed them out in the 30 sec video.

Unfortunately it's not me lol.
I think the colour suits him!

Have another vid coming soon at night pointing in cabin.
In full IR colour, or in boring monochrome?

Always seems silly to throw away the colour information just because human eyes see in monochrome in the dark. The colour information might prove to be useful evidence, even if it is IR colour instead of human colour.

In full IR colour, or in boring monochrome?

Always seems silly to throw away the colour information just because human eyes see in monochrome in the dark. The colour information might prove to be useful evidence, even if it is IR colour instead of human colour.
I agree totally.
They say black and white is sharper for night.
However I think colour gives more information that might help in an investigation.

I disable the filter on my cctv so it shows colour.

I agree totally.
They say black and white is sharper for night.
However I think colour gives more information that might help in an investigation.

I disable the filter on my cctv so it shows colour.
Black and white can be sharper at night if you refocus the lens to match the IR light from your lamps instead of normal light, however the A129 has no focus mechanism and Viofo have chosen a lens that can properly focus IR light at the same time as normal light (most lenses can't), so I don't think the monochrome mode will look any different to the IR colour mode viewed with the colour turned off.

@Nigel This video is in colour!

The settings on the dash cam are not in monochrome I'm sure. (Not black at least)

Daylight driving ~40 sec vid.
The entire cabin including the drive is infrared pink but outside appears to be monochrome.. perhaps even colour.
Interesting side note is the GPS in not working even though the car has been running for at least 5-10 minutes. It comes on later in the video almost at the 3 minute mark.

In General,
Not happy with the slow GPS feed and slow pick up of the Satellites.
I would like to see the GPS updated more often than 1-2 per sec.
If it is because of the video processor working overtime perhaps pushing it out to a gps text file may speed things up. Won't have to incorporate it in to the video which can be done later.

Have another video with a group of blokes in the car. Next couple of days for that one.

That is a remarkably pink car!

@Nigel This video is in colour!

The settings on the dash cam are not in monochrome I'm sure. (Not black at least)

Daylight driving ~40 sec vid.
The entire cabin including the drive is infrared pink but outside appears to be monochrome.. perhaps even colour.
Interesting side note is the GPS in not working even though the car has been running for at least 5-10 minutes. It comes on later in the video almost at the 3 minute mark.

In General,
Not happy with the slow GPS feed and slow pick up of the Satellites.
I would like to see the GPS updated more often than 1-2 per sec.
If it is because of the video processor working overtime perhaps pushing it out to a gps text file may speed things up. Won't have to incorporate it in to the video which can be done later.

Have another video with a group of blokes in the car. Next couple of days for that one.
1. It is normal for camera to get the GPS signal in 2 to 5 mins. And the final version use an improved cable, GPS signal will be much better.
2. The GPS info stamp is not updated immediately, if playback on the GPS player, it will be more accurate.

This is a total waste of time, but seemingly appropriate. :)

Last edited:

A129 Duo IR Front And Interior Dual Dash Cam 5GHz Wi-Fi Full HD 1080P Buffered Parking Mode For Uber Lyft Taxi
$179.99
  • Dual Channel Full HD Video Recording
  • Interior Camera with 4PCS Infrared lights
  • Video Resolution Front & Interior: Full HD (1920 x 1080P 30FPS)
  • Dual Band Wi-Fi Built-in 2.4GHz & 5GHz
  • Buffered Parking Mode Supported
  • Sony Starvis Image Sensor (Same for Interior Camera)
  • F1.6 Aperture 7 Elements Glass Lens (Same for Interior Camera)
  • 2.0 inch HD LCD Display
  • 140° Wide Viewing Angle for Front Camera
  • 160° Wide Viewing Angle for Interior Camera
  • GPS Logger (Optional)
  • G-Sensor & Motion Detection Supported
  • Quick Release Mount
  • Circular Polarizing Lens Filter (Optional, Not Included)
  • Bluetooth Emergency Remote (Optional, Not Included)
  • Support Micro SD Card Class 10 up to 256GB

A129 Duo IR Front And Interior Dual Dash Cam 5GHz Wi-Fi Full HD 1080P Buffered Parking Mode For Uber Lyft Taxi
$179.99
  • Dual Channel Full HD Video Recording

• Interior Camera with 4PCS Infrared lights

• Video Resolution Front & Interior: Full HD (1920 x 1080P 30FPS)

• Dual Band Wi-Fi Built-in 2.4GHz & 5GHz

• Buffered Parking Mode Supported

• Sony Starvis Image Sensor (Same for Interior Camera)

• F1.6 Aperture 7 Elements Glass Lens (Same for Interior Camera)

• 2.0 inch HD LCD Display

• 140° Wide Viewing Angle for Front Camera

• 160° Wide Viewing Angle for Interior Camera

• GPS Logger (Optional)

• G-Sensor & Motion Detection Supported

• Quick Release Mount

• Circular Polarizing Lens Filter (Optional, Not Included)

• Bluetooth Emergency Remote (Optional, Not Included)

• Support Micro SD Card Class 10 up to 256GB
So the new IR A129 comes with official buffered parking mode software? Is there an official buffered parking mode for the regular A129 or is it still beta?

Back