A129 Duo Issues

eccentriq

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As of late I have been having 2 issues with my A129 Duo with the camera.

1) Not recording or responding. The unit makes several beeps and the recording timer does not go past 0:00:00 and locks up. The only way to get some function is to disconnect the power to the unit.
I flashed new firmware to v1.5 and the issue is still persisting- if not the locking up has worsened. The memory card I am using is a SanDisk 32GB High Endurance Class 10. Does anyone have any suspicions as to what is going on?

2) Won't start on first key turn; the unit is hardwired to the cigarette fuse on a 2008 Toyota Camry and I have also read this issue with other users who note that there is a voltage drop on ignition thus the camera is programmed to cut off if there isn't enough voltage? Does anyone have any work-arounds for this? I previously had a G1WC and this never failed me.

Last edited:
As of late I have been having 2 issues with my A129 Duo with the camera.

1) Not recording or responding. The unit makes several beeps and the recording timer does not go past 0:00:00 and locks up. The only way to get some function is to disconnect the power to the unit.
I flashed new firmware to v1.5 and the issue is still persisting- if not the locking up has worsened. The memory card I am using is a SanDisk 32GB High Endurance Class 10. Does anyone have any suspicions as to what is going on?

2) Won't start on first key turn; the unit is hardwired to the cigarette fuse on a 2008 Toyota Camry and I have also read this issue with other users who note that there is a voltage drop on ignition thus the camera is programmed to cut off if there isn't enough voltage? Does anyone have any work-arounds for this? I previously had a G1WC and this never failed me.
Hi,
Your first issue you may not like the answer to - your memory card. Sandisk. Try another brand /card. Samsung seems to be commonly used in Viofo gear.

Re cigarette lighter that's true the camera could lose the plot and not start correctly it happen to me often.
In the A129 there is an option to pause the boot process and I've set mine to 5secs. It's a little bit of a pain but seems to be working correctly now.

An option is to install the 3 wire parking kit. Keeps power to the dash cam so may eliminate the cigarette problem.

1- definitely try another memory card.

2 - need more info on how you currently have it hardwired.

Update:

It's not a memory card issue; tested with another and it has the same fault.
The freezing issue appears to be only occurring when the rear camera is plugged in- it causes the whole unit to lock up and hang. When I use it without the rear camera plugged in it seems fine. Referring to another post it may be that the rear camera is faulty.

Also could be a faulty rear cam video cable.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

I had this issue with a head unit I had. When cranking the engine, the voltage through the wire connected to an ACC-live fuse would go low, and the head unit would power-down momentarily. This wouldn't have been an issue, except it took ~40s to rescan my memory card before resuming playing audio.

Fixed it by putting in a modest sized capacitor on the ACC wire. Never had the issue again.

Update:

It's not a memory card issue; tested with another and it has the same fault.
The freezing issue appears to be only occurring when the rear camera is plugged in- it causes the whole unit to lock up and hang. When I use it without the rear camera plugged in it seems fine. Referring to another post it may be that the rear camera is faulty.
Probably a faulty rear cable or rear camera, but also make sure WiFi is off as there was at least one user who experienced issues when the rear camera was plugged in and WiFi was on (some kind of interference?).
Make sure you don’t try to use any adapters or USB extensions with the rear cable.

I just noticed the other day that my A129 Duo did not start up. Next time I turned car off, it did start. I will have to look for this delay setting you mentioned. Can this be found in settings through the app or only through the camera?

Update:

The webstore that sold me the A129 has made contact with Viofo and they suspect that the issue is a faulty cable linking the front and rear cameras. They will be sending me a brand new cable to test and if it is still faulty they will replace the rear camera.

Have you tried using the supplied Viofo 12V car adapter and Viofo USB cable? The DUO consumes more power than your old G1WC and is probably much more picky about the quality of power. Worth a try.

I know you're replying to the OP but thanks for that. I was lazy and used the power cord from my last cam, a Papago. I was thinking od trying the supplied coed from Viofo. I will definately switching now. My power source is a cig plug spliced into the power port line going to the center console.

I know you're replying to the OP but thanks for that. I was lazy and used the power cord from my last cam, a Papago. I was thinking od trying the supplied coed from Viofo. I will definately switching now. My power source is a cig plug spliced into the power port line going to the center console.
The A129 Duo does need a good quality power cable due to the length of cable between the power adaptor and rear camera via the main camera, it is a long distance to carry just 5 volts without significant loss.

Update:

Received new cabling for front to rear cam- still freezing.

It's the rear camera. Sent it back for a replacement.

Back