A129 Duo rear cam 140* FOV not wide enough

DashCamUser123

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I really enjoy using the A129 Duo. I use low-bitrate Parking Mode so saves on space and battery consumption.

I am discovering that the rear cam with a 140* FOV is not wide enough to cover the rear windshield from pillar to pillar. 170* is better but even that may not be enough. The cam is mounted on the windshield so can't cover backwards from the windshield glass to where the side pillar meets the edge of the windshield on both sides of the car. Every bit of coverage helps of course.

I was thinking about a way to get around this limited FOV. I can mount a small plastic block to the windshield and then mount the A129 Duo rear mount and camera onto the small plastic block. Why? I was thinking that if the rear cam was set back a bit from the actual rear windshield itself, the 140* FOV will cover wider from left to right. I can test this by using Viofo app to see what the rear cam's 140* FOV can now see if the rear cam is set back from the rear windshield.

If someone was standing to the edge of the wiondshield near the pillar and vandalizes the car pillar, it does not catch anything with the 140* FOV coverage.

Any other ideas? I would like to get a new Viofo with a rear cam of at least 160* FOV or 170* FOV. I don't think many Viofo rear cams are 170* FOV? I think the A139 is and also the MT1 motorcycle Viofo.

Back