A129 Duo rear camera focus issue

Iulian

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo GPS, Dual Mobius B-Lens
Hi,

I bought my A129 a few days ago and finally got the time to install it. It was time to retire my dual-Mobius setup. :D
Everything is ok, except for the rear camera focus. In my opinion, everything that's farther than 2-3m from the car is out of focus and not sharp/very soft. It gets in focus when really close to the rear camera.

Comparing to the front camera focus and even to my Mobius, there is a clear difference to me. Do you experience the same thing or did I get a faulty unit?

PS: Yes, I've cleaned the glass (inside and outside), removed the lens plastic film and tried a different angle, same thing.

Rear camera:

Front camera:

@viofo what do you think?

Can't see clearly on Youtube, a frame grab in jpg format would be more use...

Sure, here are two images that show the transition from soft to sharp for the black Skoda wagon: Grab 1 and Grab 2
And here is a shot from the front, it's much sharper(maybe even over sharpened :p ) and doesn't have sharpness differences between what's close/far.

Last edited:
I think the lens focus is correct.

Not sure what the issue is, do you have any form of tint on the rear window?
Have a careful look for polish, grease, fingerprints on the glass (inside and out) and on the lens...
If that doesn't show anything then test the camera without the glass in the way...

I think the lens focus is correct.

Not sure what the issue is, do you have any form of tint on the rear window?
Have a careful look for polish, grease, fingerprints on the glass (inside and out) and on the lens...
If that doesn't show anything then test the camera without the glass in the way...
No tint and as mentioned in the first post, the glass is clean on both sides, same for the lens. I've also tried different positions and without the glass in the way, same results.
To me there's a clear difference in sharpness compared to the front camera and to my old Mobius. It's ok the first few meters from the car, but the image gets soft after that.

No tint and as mentioned in the first post, the glass is clean on both sides, same for the lens. I've also tried different positions and without the glass in the way, same results.
To me there's a clear difference in sharpness compared to the front camera and to my old Mobius. It's ok the first few meters from the car, but the image gets soft after that.
Both my original A129 Rear Cameras required refocusing, creating a short video covering how much to adjust for soft center focus.
Your test rear footage is actually worse than mine, will post in my A129 MOD thread in next few days.

Last edited:
Both my original A129 Rear Cameras required refocusing, creating a short video covering how much to adjust for soft center focus.
Your test rear footage is actually worse than mine, will post in my A129 MOD thread in next few days.
Mine is under warranty (two years), I bought it on https://www.allcam.be (great website). I wonder if they would accept to swap it or fix it (just the rear camera) for a focus issue. (@viofo can you confirm?) Looking forward to your post. (y)

Last edited:
Try to raise the lens so that it is no longer in the field of view the rear wiper and the board. May have some kind of autofocus and be disturbed by nearby objects.

you have to be careful comparing different cameras to each other.
When i got my first street guardian camera i came from a Lukas, and the difference between the 2 was big, lukas have a lot of sharpening and i suspect contrast in their footage, where as the SG camera was a lot more neutral.
So it did take me some getting used to the more natural images after having been used to the lukas footage for well over a year.

some kind of autofocus and be disturbed by nearby objects.
All dashcams are fixed focus, autofocus are for phone and video ( not action ) cameras.

It would appear that your camera angle is too low (front and back), have you tried to up the angle? I have sold a camera to a customer in Antwerp with the same issues and when I went there to check on it, that solved the problem.

Back