A129 duo reliability/durability?

Lvnatic

Reaction score
Country
Romania
For some reason people on reddit are saying viofo dashcams aren't reliable. The thing is, I already bought one and I'm waiting for my scheduled service visit to install it on my car, and I spent quite a lot of money on it (the total investment with the 50€ service fee will be around 350€). It's not a huge amount of money but I would definitely be upset if it broke down after 2 or 3 years.

The setup will be installed via the fusebox and will be used pretty often, I'm driving more then 30k KM per year and I'm planning to use it in parking mode as well. Can I expect it to last at least 5 years?

2-3 years are all i ask from a dashcam as they do operate in a pretty harsh environment, main thing is to buy from a seller that will be there if you should run into problems, so buying out of China to save a EURO or two are often not a good idea.
5 years i think may be a tall order for any dashcam, for sure over that long and with 30 K KM every year you will go thru a few memory cards for sure.

Dashcams used to die due to battery issues, but there is no battery in the A129.

Most likely issues are the super capacitors or clock backup capacitor, but there is no way to know how long they are likely to last since nobody has run one for 5 or 10 years yet.

There have been a very small number have had capacitor issues while still fairly new, probably due to poor quality components rather than a design or camera quality issue.

So my guess at lifespan is somewhere between 5 and 15 years depending on the temperatures it is having to operate in.

My early prototype camera is still working fine.

Nigel is right. I had a pair of mini 0806 dash cams, which were battery-powered, and both died within a few years. Thankfully, I had a SquareTrade warranty on one of them.

Batteries wear out so models that include one will have a shortened life... The Viofo A129 seems pretty durable, but only had mine a few months.

Back