A129 Duo, wierd issue solved.

scrapironfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted to post this just incase someone else encounters the same issue.

(Backgroud) I've had the A129 Duo for about 5 months now. I did the install myself in a 2004 Toyota 4RUNNER SR5 4x4. I used the 3 wire hard wiring kit with proper fuse taps and a multimeter. I have the hardwire usb cable plugged into the GPS mount. I have the hardwire voltage cut off set at 12 volts so parking mode doesnt kill my battery. Everything has operated as intended flawlessly for the past 5 months. Dashcam and hard wiring kit were orded from Amazon.

(Problem)Yesterday, my dashcam started acting... strange is the best way to put it. It would record and stop, over a period of about 10 seconds, then repeat. None of the button functions would work and no beeps were heard when pressed. The picture on the display was very laggy, like 1 frame every 7 seconds or so. It was acting almost like a computer that runs slow due to a virus.

(Troubleshooting) I unplugged the rear view camera USB cable and removed the dashcam from the gps mount. I then plugged it into the cigarette USB adapter and plugged it into the dashcam. The Dashcam worked perfectly. Ok cool. I put it back on the gps mount and plugged all the cables in. The problems came back. I unplugged the hardwire USB, and plugged in the USB from the cigarette lighter. The problems were still there. Hmmm, next I unplugged the rearview camera cable from the dashcam. POOF! problem solved. I then unplugged the USB from the cigarette lighter and plugged the hardwire USB back in. Still working perfectly. So now I knew the issue was with the rear view camera, and or USB cable. I went to the rear of the vehicle and unplugged the rear camera. Then plugged in the rear camera USB to the dashcam. Everything worked fine still. That told me that the rear camera cable was fine. At that point I thought my rear camera had taken a crap on me. So back to the rear of the vehicle I go and plugged the rear camera USB cable back into the rear camera. Bam everything works flawlessly!

In short, all I did was unplug the rear camera USB from the rear camera itself, plugged it back in, and problem was fixed. I have no idea what would cause this. I do have a serious car audio system with about 1,600 watts of Bass on 2 12" subwoofers. Maybe the vibrations caused an issue. Who knows.

At any rate, this is a great product and has worked flawlessly except for this issue I just encountered.

Also, for everyone having issues with this camera, parking mode, and or hard wiring kit, please ensure you install it properly and have the wires connected to the correct wires/fuse box locations. Use a multimeter. When checking the voltage for your turn off wire, make sure you turn off the car and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes so the vehicle "goes to sleep". This install does take some knowledge of vehicle electrical systems, but nothing anyone cant do if you take time to research and learn.

DRIVE SAFE EVERYONE!

There have been a small number of similar issues reported but very infrequent, I suspect vibrations from your audio may have helped loosen the connection, or maybe the connectors just needed a clean by sliding it in and out. Thanks for posting the info.

There have been a small number of similar issues reported but very infrequent, I suspect vibrations from your audio may have helped loosen the connection, or maybe the connectors just needed a clean by sliding it in and out. Thanks for posting the info.
I wonder if we can apply some blue treadlock to the connector?

I think that would be disaster, I don't know of any threadlock designed for connectors, it is designed to seep into every tiny space, which would probably prevent the contacts working.

Just make sure the cable isn't putting strain on the connector.

If the mini USB plug is actually loose then it can be tightened by reshaping it with a pair of pliers, but the Viofo ones always seem OK unless they get damaged.

I think that would be disaster, I don't know of any threadlock designed for connectors, it is designed to seep into every tiny space, which would probably prevent the contacts working.

If the mini USB plug is actually loose then it can be tightened by reshaping it with a pair of pliers, but the Viofo ones always seem OK unless they get damaged.
Initially my brain was thinking along BluTack, but that's not gonna work either!

It is supplied with stick on cable clips which can help hold the cable secure near where it enters the camera. Using them is probably a better solution, although I never have.

Ah so that's what it's for! I've been thinking why would I need to hold the cable along the way when I can always zip tie it to something (within the dashboard). Didn't see the need for it in the headliner either.

I agree with making sure the cable is going into the rear camera fairly straight with little or no strain on the cable or socket. The clips are a good idea.

My issue was either a fluke, or the vibrations from my subwoofers. Everything shakes back there.

I wanted to post this just incase someone else encounters the same issue.

(Backgroud) I've had the A129 Duo for about 5 months now. I did the install myself in a 2004 Toyota 4RUNNER SR5 4x4. I used the 3 wire hard wiring kit with proper fuse taps and a multimeter. I have the hardwire usb cable plugged into the GPS mount. I have the hardwire voltage cut off set at 12 volts so parking mode doesnt kill my battery. Everything has operated as intended flawlessly for the past 5 months. Dashcam and hard wiring kit were orded from Amazon.

(Problem)Yesterday, my dashcam started acting... strange is the best way to put it. It would record and stop, over a period of about 10 seconds, then repeat. None of the button functions would work and no beeps were heard when pressed. The picture on the display was very laggy, like 1 frame every 7 seconds or so. It was acting almost like a computer that runs slow due to a virus.

(Troubleshooting) I unplugged the rear view camera USB cable and removed the dashcam from the gps mount. I then plugged it into the cigarette USB adapter and plugged it into the dashcam. The Dashcam worked perfectly. Ok cool. I put it back on the gps mount and plugged all the cables in. The problems came back. I unplugged the hardwire USB, and plugged in the USB from the cigarette lighter. The problems were still there. Hmmm, next I unplugged the rearview camera cable from the dashcam. POOF! problem solved. I then unplugged the USB from the cigarette lighter and plugged the hardwire USB back in. Still working perfectly. So now I knew the issue was with the rear view camera, and or USB cable. I went to the rear of the vehicle and unplugged the rear camera. Then plugged in the rear camera USB to the dashcam. Everything worked fine still. That told me that the rear camera cable was fine. At that point I thought my rear camera had taken a crap on me. So back to the rear of the vehicle I go and plugged the rear camera USB cable back into the rear camera. Bam everything works flawlessly!

In short, all I did was unplug the rear camera USB from the rear camera itself, plugged it back in, and problem was fixed. I have no idea what would cause this. I do have a serious car audio system with about 1,600 watts of Bass on 2 12" subwoofers. Maybe the vibrations caused an issue. Who knows.

At any rate, this is a great product and has worked flawlessly except for this issue I just encountered.

Also, for everyone having issues with this camera, parking mode, and or hard wiring kit, please ensure you install it properly and have the wires connected to the correct wires/fuse box locations. Use a multimeter. When checking the voltage for your turn off wire, make sure you turn off the car and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes so the vehicle "goes to sleep". This install does take some knowledge of vehicle electrical systems, but nothing anyone cant do if you take time to research and learn.

DRIVE SAFE EVERYONE!
Hey. Thanks for this good description.

I had exactly the same issue. I only plugged in and out from the main unit. I tried the "method" that you used...;) Rear cam usb in and out, problem solved...

Cheers

Hey. Thanks for this good description.

I had exactly the same issue. I only plugged in and out from the main unit. I tried the "method" that you used...;) Rear cam usb in and out, problem solved...

Cheers
Glad It helped!

Back