A129 Electrical Issues After Hooking Up Rear Dashcam

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
One size fits all is clearly the cheapest model. I know the issue with current fuse tap design is they are a bit to large to fit Ford. Necessitating you shave them down a bit. Problem arises when let's say you have 50,000 fuse taps on hand that can't be sold to anyone with a ford vehicle. As a manufacturer, you're going to want to unload those products before pumping out a new or universal design. Otherwise, it becomes very costly to adjust production for a small fraction of affected users.
regardless of how it may seem the factories don't ever sit on stock, everything is made to order so there won't be any backlog of stock they need to clear, tooling adjustments take time though which is why it would take some time before you see any improved version available, can't stop having stock for the 95% of vehicles that are not a problem in the interim

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
As to the EMI here, there are no real specs or standards for car or cam manufacturers to follow which will ensure things will work together well. Everyone does their things a little differently than everyone else does. The only real standard here is power limits set for extraneous unwanted EM/RF radiation and those don't have anything specifying where on the EM/RF spectrum things need to be done and how so as to reduce both unwanted emissions and to better shield against that.

It's much like the earliest days of radio where broadcasters set up stations as they pleased, oftentimes taking a spot on the dial which someone else was already using or being so close that the original user's signal could no longer be heard. It took international treaties with all nations signing on to solve that, and the same thing needs to happen here. Given how the world is today versus then I don't hold out any hope for this ever happening so until then we just have to do the best we can and share whatever we know in hopes that it can help someone else in the same spot we were in.

Phil

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As to the EMI here, there are no real specs or standards for car or cam manufacturers to follow which will ensure things will work together well.
there are standards for how much EMI is allowable, being within that though is no guarantee that things will play nicely together, particularly when low powered transmitters or amplified receivers are involved

Es Ef ed

Reaction score
Country
United States
i just put one of these in my 2011 Cadillac ctsv , it’s not hardwired just using the cigarette lighter socket. since installing it . My keyless entry range is not that great anymore And I’m always getting the ‘key not detected ‘ ( yes , I’ve replaced the battery in the key fob) message . After doIng some research I read most gm vehicles have the modules in the back under the entire speaker tray .

Ormy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can confirm my A129 duo puts out a lot of EMI and it interferes badly with the DAB. I put ferrite chokes on the dashcams cables and it made a small improvement. Lucky my car is 17 years old and immune to it.