A129 Electrical Issues After Hooking Up Rear Dashcam

One size fits all is clearly the cheapest model. I know the issue with current fuse tap design is they are a bit to large to fit Ford. Necessitating you shave them down a bit. Problem arises when let's say you have 50,000 fuse taps on hand that can't be sold to anyone with a ford vehicle. As a manufacturer, you're going to want to unload those products before pumping out a new or universal design. Otherwise, it becomes very costly to adjust production for a small fraction of affected users.
regardless of how it may seem the factories don't ever sit on stock, everything is made to order so there won't be any backlog of stock they need to clear, tooling adjustments take time though which is why it would take some time before you see any improved version available, can't stop having stock for the 95% of vehicles that are not a problem in the interim

As to the EMI here, there are no real specs or standards for car or cam manufacturers to follow which will ensure things will work together well. Everyone does their things a little differently than everyone else does. The only real standard here is power limits set for extraneous unwanted EM/RF radiation and those don't have anything specifying where on the EM/RF spectrum things need to be done and how so as to reduce both unwanted emissions and to better shield against that.

It's much like the earliest days of radio where broadcasters set up stations as they pleased, oftentimes taking a spot on the dial which someone else was already using or being so close that the original user's signal could no longer be heard. It took international treaties with all nations signing on to solve that, and the same thing needs to happen here. Given how the world is today versus then I don't hold out any hope for this ever happening so until then we just have to do the best we can and share whatever we know in hopes that it can help someone else in the same spot we were in.

Phil

As to the EMI here, there are no real specs or standards for car or cam manufacturers to follow which will ensure things will work together well.
there are standards for how much EMI is allowable, being within that though is no guarantee that things will play nicely together, particularly when low powered transmitters or amplified receivers are involved

i just put one of these in my 2011 Cadillac ctsv , it’s not hardwired just using the cigarette lighter socket. since installing it . My keyless entry range is not that great anymore And I’m always getting the ‘key not detected ‘ ( yes , I’ve replaced the battery in the key fob) message . After doIng some research I read most gm vehicles have the modules in the back under the entire speaker tray .

I can confirm my A129 duo puts out a lot of EMI and it interferes badly with the DAB. I put ferrite chokes on the dashcams cables and it made a small improvement. Lucky my car is 17 years old and immune to it.

I had a dual dashcam connected to Cigarette lighter with no issues until i added a dual cigarette lighter to add a battery bank for later use, i never took any notice until my TPMS failed, changed one on a wheel, then I notice when i had the dual cigarette lighter connected, the secong wheel sensor failed,but using a USB TPMS module i had with my chinese HU, it shows it as working but not the internal one, so the i got fed up and changed them all,and removed the dual cigarette lighter, no issues since, then I decided to tidy up the wiring and i decided to hard wire the dual cam, silly me as soon as connecting everything it worked so i did wait to check it correctly ,so i put everything back in (the fuse on Jeep renegade is located behind the glove box a headache to remove), after driving for one hour, I noticed flickering lines started to show up on backup cam but not the front,and after a while the back cam singly dies,Luckily i still had the original cable i plug it in and no issue. so it seems that the Ground wire was not properly connected, it must 've had the paint still on it. Just to let you know that a bad ground can cause issues and cheap cigarette lighter adapters causes interference with TPMS and Dabs radio

you sometimes have problems, and sometimes there is just no fix. A superbly shielded cable would help- and would be impractical to run as well as cost a lot more. Think much larger dia
Thanks for all the replies, I would never think about the cable going to the rear camera interfering with other wiring. That should be easy to test to see if it is an issue.

I forgot to mention that the day it threw the code, the front camera wouldn't come on at first. As in, the led starting flashing and it was beeping sort of like it does when you pause recording but the screen wouldn't come on. I unplugged it from the GPS mount and put it back on and it came on after that. Then 2-3 minutes later the CEL. Not sure if this helps anything in the diagnosis.

I also have a problem with the A129 not coming on every time with the car. Usually about 40% of the time it won't - seems to work more often if the car has been turned on recently, but most mornings it won't come on with the car unless I press a button on the camera. This seems to be a common occurrence with this camera as I've read a lot of threads with people have the same issue, so not sure it is related. It's always been like that since I just put the front camera on in December. It also has the latest firmware and the startup delay has been set to 10 seconds and it doesn't seem to matter.

My plan for this weekend is to install the actual A129 hardwire kit to the fuse box in the trunk instead of it being hardwired to the power and ground of the passenger airbag light as maybe this will alleviate all the issues and it will also give me the option to have it recording while parked. If it still has problems, I can try pulling down the rear USB cable and have it just hanging in the cabin and go from there.

Thanks for all the replies, I would never think about the cable going to the rear camera interfering with other wiring. That should be easy to test to see if it is an issue.

I forgot to mention that the day it threw the code, the front camera wouldn't come on at first. As in, the led starting flashing and it was beeping sort of like it does when you pause recording but the screen wouldn't come on. I unplugged it from the GPS mount and put it back on and it came on after that. Then 2-3 minutes later the CEL. Not sure if this helps anything in the diagnosis.

I also have a problem with the A129 not coming on every time with the car. Usually about 40% of the time it won't - seems to work more often if the car has been turned on recently, but most mornings it won't come on with the car unless I press a button on the camera. This seems to be a common occurrence with this camera as I've read a lot of threads with people have the same issue, so not sure it is related. It's always been like that since I just put the front camera on in December. It also has the latest firmware and the startup delay has been set to 10 seconds and it doesn't seem to matter.

My plan for this weekend is to install the actual A129 hardwire kit to the fuse box in the trunk instead of it being hardwired to the power and ground of the passenger airbag light as maybe this will alleviate all the issues and it will also give me the option to have it recording while parked. If it still has problems, I can try pulling down the rear USB cable and have it just hanging in the cabin and go from there.
hello,

Thank you for choosing our products,
it seems the rear cam is causing some interference when plugged we have ferrite cores that may fix this issue you shall contact Viofo customer service for support,

if the front can alone is having difficulties in booting up automatically, you may check the wiring on your car, since you have installed the hardwire kits, you shall see how it works,
if the issue persists, you shall use the short cable to test at home.
Hope above is useful.

Back