A129 Fimware v1.8 Question

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Other than the fixes listed below, are there any stability changes to V1.8 Firmware? I don't use Buffered Parking Mode (Have mine set to Low Bitrate Recording).

I.E. Does V1.8 fix the issue of giving errors when trying to load and view videos via the Viofo Android App through wifi? Always takes me two tries before that buggy software works. Same deal on both my Viofo A129s.

Change log:
  1. Added: Buffered Parking Mode
  2. Added: G-sensor and Motion detection sensitivity setting for Parking Mode
  3. Updated: MIC icon and GPS icon

So far, no

I just put 1.8 on my A129 Duo, and using 5 GHz WiFi still disconnects after a second or two, then crashes the app

2.4 GHz works, at a molasses pace, even that drops out when trying to aim the cameras in vehicle

Any instructions or documentation on how to set up the new buffered parking mode?

It'd be appreciated

I use low bitrate for parking. Much bettered than buffeted parking. Low bitrate records live video to sd card, just at a lower quality while parker.

2.4 GHz works, at a molasses pace, even that drops out when trying to aim the cameras in vehicle
Same, the 1.8 firmware did nothing for the (nearly useless) WiFi connectivity. Haven't tried 5 GHz because it seems to offer no benefit.

Same, the 1.8 firmware did nothing for the (nearly useless) WiFi connectivity. Haven't tried 5 GHz because it seems to offer no benefit.

Mine plays back videos choppy at 2.4 GHz, and plays back smoothly when connected to 5 GHz .

Just unpacked my A129 duo with GPS and did the firmware upgrade to 1.8 via 5Ghz Wi-Fi using the Viofo app from play store. Worked like a charm.
I will have to confirm the change log later on.

My video playback stutters on 5Ghz using viofo app 2.8.2 on a galaxy s10+. It's better than on 2.4 but certainly not smooth.

Interesting. I tried watching some videos over 2.4 GHz yesterday but they simply didn't play. Not more than the first few seconds. I ended up downloading the one I want, which of course took a while.

I guess I'll play with the 5 GHz mode. In theory it should be much much faster for downloading vids. That is, if it stays connected and doesn't crash the app - as has been reported previously.

Also, which setting exactly is "buffered" parking mode? Is it the "auto event detection?" I don't seem to see anything in the menus that actually says "buffered parking mode" since the 1.8 firmware update, but there do seem to be additional options.

Interesting. I tried watching some videos over 2.4 GHz yesterday but they simply didn't play. Not more than the first few seconds. I ended up downloading the one I want, which of course took a while.

I guess I'll play with the 5 GHz mode. In theory it should be much much faster for downloading vids. That is, if it stays connected and doesn't crash the app - as has been reported previously.

Also, which setting exactly is "buffered" parking mode? Is it the "auto event detection?" I don't seem to see anything in the menus that actually says "buffered parking mode" since the 1.8 firmware update, but there do seem to be additional options.

What additional options are in the menu?

Yes, auto event detection is the buffered parking mode in V1.8.

I don't use parking mode so I'm not seeing a reason to update at this point as cam is working perfectly. (if is ain't broke, don't fix if).
I see many comments about 5GHz. I've never seen an option for this and unless I missed it in the install instructions, I don't know where to find it.
Can someone post specific step by step instructions on how to set this up?
Thanks

I don't use parking mode so I'm not seeing a reason to update at this point as cam is working perfectly. (if is ain't broke, don't fix if).
I see many comments about 5GHz. I've never seen an option for this and unless I missed it in the install instructions, I don't know where to find it.
Can someone post specific step by step instructions on how to set this up?
Thanks

Its in the Camera's Menu under Wifi. You turn on 5 ghz there. And I believe thereafter it stays on 5Ghz whenever activated.

Thank you, I'll have to look for the menu. Only made changes from the app. Didn't know the camera had a menu.

.....Now now.... We all aren't tech savvy and all new tech comes with a learning curve!
for sure, not about being tech savvy though, even a casual glance at the manual would reveal it has a menu, proof that people don't read instructions I guess

for sure, not about being tech savvy though, even a casual glance at the manual would reveal it has a menu, proof that people don't read instructions I guess

Won't argue there. I just responded in another thread about a user claiming Dash Cameras often let users down in time of need...

My reply... If users followed the recommendations on SD cards (such as the Viofo hates Sandisk Ultra Plus which causes camera to freeze). I am now using Sandisk A2 Extreme 128 & 256GB cards - Own 2 x Viofo's A1290 Duos. Never a problem capturing anything. Camera works flawlessly.

Course, I am not thrilled about the G-Force. I tried high and it registers every pothole. Medium isn't sensitive enough.

True...but that entails the users to understand the product at a basic level. A manual is no replacement for some tech savvy ability. If one doesn't understand how to hardwire, properly install behind Side curtain airbags, what SD card is supported, how to manage settings, then I recommend said individual have a professional install the device. And then do a walk through on features.

Back