A129 Hardwire Issue

Short cable plugged in and on the camera screen it says... Micro sd card reader mode
In this mode you can transfer the firmware file to your memory card while it’s still in the camera. I assumed this is what you were trying to do?

I'm not sure of Airborne's main objective...??? If he doesn't have the short cord and he has his card reader he can of course just copy the updated firmware file to his root directory and be fine. I tend to use the later method, but both work.

I'm not sure of Airborne's main objective...??? If he doesn't have the short cord and he has his card reader he can of course just copy the updated firmware file to his root directory and be fine. I tend to use the later method, but both work.
Yes, I always recommend using a card reader. Seems much more reliable. Many users seem to have trouble with Mass Storage Mode.

@StrayCam

Ok I have just completed a test with the Parking G-Sensor and I can confirm the triggered event gets saved in the RO folder.

I'm on firmware 1.9 but using one of @BCHobbyist 's MODs that's based on the 1.9 version. I am also using Low Bitrate Parking Mode and the Parking G-Sensor is set to HIGH. I waited till the dash cam entered Parking Mode, then took the dash cam off the GPS mount and shook the cam a little which triggered the G-Sensor. The yellow exclamation mark appeared on the screen with the 3 beeps denoting and event has just occurred. (Please note that tapping the dash cam during parking mode did not trigger an event). Please see the screenshot below showing the RO folder with the two event videos, PF and PR at the bottom, circled in red. This confirms that Parking Mode events are saved in the RO folder. I don't know how @viofo did not know this?

Yes, I always recommend using a card reader. Seems much more reliable. Many users seem to have trouble with Mass Storage Mode.
I think some computers, especially laptops do not provide enough voltage for the Mass Storage Mode. On my computer it works fine, but only if I use a good cable, with a cheap cable it often does not enter Mass Storage Mode. The card reader always works.

@StrayCam

Ok I have just completed a test with the Parking G-Sensor and I can confirm the triggered event gets saved in the RO folder.

I'm on firmware 1.9 but using one of @BCHobbyist 's MODs that's based on the 1.9 version. I am also using Low Bitrate Parking Mode and the Parking G-Sensor is set to HIGH. I waited till the dash cam entered Parking Mode, then took the dash cam off the GPS mount and shook the cam a little which triggered the G-Sensor. The yellow exclamation mark appeared on the screen with the 3 beeps denoting and event has just occurred. (Please note that tapping the dash cam during parking mode did not trigger an event). Please see the screenshot below showing the RO folder with the two event videos, PF and PR at the bottom, circled in red. This confirms that Parking Mode events are saved in the RO folder. I don't know how @viofo did not know this?

Parking mode files triggered via G-Sensor go into the RO folder, while parking mode files triggered via motion detection (buffered) do not, they are put into the regular file folder. Maybe Viofo misunderstood which you were referring to.

Parking mode files triggered via G-Sensor go into the RO folder, while parking mode files triggered via motion detection (buffered) do not, they are put into the regular file folder. Maybe Viofo misunderstood which you were referring to.

You could be right

In this mode you can transfer the firmware file to your memory card while it’s still in the camera. I assumed this is what you were trying to do?
I am just trying to get the 1.9 update, that’s all. I am getting upset with the whole idea of dashcams. I will try again tonight, but not sure what my options
Sorry OP for asking so many questions on your post

No, @viofo did not misunderstand what files were referred to. They were adamant that G-sensor triggered events in "buffered parking mode" get saved by in the same file/directory as the motion detected buffered parking mode videos.

In fact they said the "only way" you could get them segregated into the RO file was to use time lapse or low bit rate parking modes; either that, or they said to downgrade to firmware 1.5. - Clearly, @viofo / Bill Zhou is wrong about this.

Last edited:
No, @viofo did not misunderstand what files were referred to. They were adamant that G-sensor triggered events in "buffered parking mode" get saved by in the same file/directory as the motion detected buffered parking mode videos.

In fact they said the "only way" you could get them segregated into the RO file was to use time lapse or low bit rate parking modes; either that, or they said to downgrade to firmware 1.5. - Clearly, @viofo / Bill Zhou is wrong about this.

In the first firmware update that featured buffered parking mode, both motion and g-sensor files were stored in the RO folder. After discussion, in another thread, with users, VIOFO changed it so that only the g-sensor files went into the RO folder. Motion detection files would have filled up the card with mostly useless files. I don’t recall which firmware version it was where they both went to the RO folder or which firmware version they changed it on. I’m sure there was misunderstanding and or confusion as things are continually changing with the firmware. Language barrier doesn’t help either.

I agree that "language barrier" could very well be an issue, but someone at Viofo should be able to communicate with customers. - - I had several emails back and forth with @viofo dealing with "g-sensor" events using firmware 1.9.

I expressed my wish for g-sensor detected events to be saved in RO file when using "buffered parking". I was told repeatedly by @viofo that this could not be done unless I downgraded to fw 1.5 or changed parking modes to time lapse or low bitrate using firmware 1.9.

I don't understand why parking g-sensor triggered files using buffered parking mode cannot be saved in the RO folder? My Thinkware saves motion detected files in normal parking folder and the g-sensored ones in the parking event folder. If Thinkware can do it, why can't Viofo?

I don't understand why parking g-sensor triggered files using buffered parking mode cannot be saved in the RO folder? My Thinkware saves motion detected files in normal parking folder and the g-sensored ones in the parking event folder. If Thinkware can do it, why can't Viofo?
Parking Mode G-sensor saved files are stored in the RO folder. Motion sensed files in parking mode are not.

Original poster here. Wow, did not expect so many responses.

Responses to some of the questions. My app version is 1.8.3 (iOS), Firmware version is A129: V1.5. Both wires are plugged directly into the camera.

I would not mind to stay with “option (1)” as someone suggested (see original post). But In this mode it seems to be recording at the same quality as if I was driving. This makes me worry about longevity of my mamory card, and card filling up too quickly, overwriting files too quickly. Would much rather prefer lower frame rate mode. Which brings me to a follow up question: how can you tell that A129 switched to a parking mode?

Original poster here. Wow, did not expect so many responses.

Responses to some of the questions. My app version is 1.8.3 (iOS), Firmware version is A129: V1.5. Both wires are plugged directly into the camera.

I would not mind to stay with “option (1)” as someone suggested (see original post). But In this mode it seems to be recording at the same quality as if I was driving. This makes me worry about longevity of my mamory card, and card filling up too quickly, overwriting files too quickly. Would much rather prefer lower frame rate mode. Which brings me to a follow up question: how can you tell that A129 switched to a parking mode?
Go for option 1, and make sure the power cable is plugged into the camera, not the camera mount, go to the menu and select low bitrate parking mode, then when it enters parking mode the recording icon on the screen should change to a parking mode icon, and then change back when you start the engine again. The videos should look the same, but if you look at their file size you will find that they are much smaller and have an extra letter 'P' just before the end of the file name, these files are recorded at low bitrate but as long as not much is happening in the image the low bitrate is normally enough.

"when it enters parking mode the recording icon on the screen should change to a parking mode icon"

How does the parking mode icon look like?
Or how is it different from regular recording icon?
Manual does not really explain the difference.

"when it enters parking mode the recording icon on the screen should change to a parking mode icon"

How does the parking mode icon look like?
Or how is it different from regular recording icon?
Manual does not really explain the difference.
When you have parking mode on, but camera is recording normally (your driving), there will be an icon of a car in the top left corner of the LCD screen. When you turn off the car, that car icon will change to the icon of the selected parking mode. For Auto Event Detection, it will change to an icon of a stick figure.

Back