A129 Hardwire

LMJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo (not installed yet)
Here's the diagram to my incabin fuse box. This is for a Lexus RX. Can someone help me to know which fuses to tap? I think the cig lighter fuse #31 is one of them. Will be using the official Viofo 3 wire kit for the A129.20181106_084107_resized_1 - Copy.jpg

I think you need to find 2 fuse connectiions, one that has power all the time(even with the ignition off), one with power (ACC) only when the car is running or with the accessories on. You need to do some testing to see if fuse 31 CIG(Cigarette ?) and fuse 32 PWR OUTLET No.1. To if meet those conditions.

Buy a cheap multimeter and test the fuses. I am a complete novice and managed to work it out. Also ensure Cam is updated with beta firmware.

I did a quick Google search for Always On with the limited info you provided (no year, make, model) and the general consensus is that the IG2 is always on. This is most likely listed as #20 on your provided picture. My guess would be that #31 (Cigarette Lighter) is probably what you would use for the accessory wire. Plug a phone charger into the cigarette lighter with the car off and if it doesn't receive power you should be able to use that as your accessory tap.

Good luck,

-Sam

Thanks, IG is ignition?
Also, what kind of fuse to use for the cam? 2 or 3 or 5 amp? I understand lower is better but how low? How many amps does the A129 require?

If youre planning on using parking mode, I'd probably go with #31 CIG (I assume thats cigarette lighter) and #32 power outlet. Just need to find out if they are constant power or acc.

Reactions: LMJ
I did a quick Google search for Always On with the limited info you provided (no year, make, model) and the general consensus is that the IG2 is always on. This is most likely listed as #20 on your provided picture. My guess would be that #31 (Cigarette Lighter) is probably what you would use for the accessory wire. Plug a phone charger into the cigarette lighter with the car off and if it doesn't receive power you should be able to use that as your accessory tap.

Good luck,

-Sam
I have a 2004 Lexus RX. I checked #31 and #32 by plugging a USB charger into the cig lighter and the power outlet and both were off when the car was off. So am afraid I can only use either #31 or #32 for the cam (or ACC). I notice #28 IGN is only 10AMP while the cig lighter and outlet are both 15AMP. Seems weired lower amp. Neverthless, I am hesitat to mess with the ignition. How about the cabin light? Do you know which # that would be? Seems the cabin light is on an always on circuit. Or is it a bad idea to tap into that?

Actually I discovered there is another fuse box under the hood and the dome light fuse as well as horn are all there. Esp the horn has got to be live all the time. Should I route there and tap that instead? Seems like it will be hard to string the wires through the firewall.

Last edited:
I have a 2004 Lexus RX. I checked #31 and #32 by plugging a USB charger into the cig lighter and the power outlet and both were off when the car was off. So am afraid I can only use either #31 or #32 for the cam (or ACC). I notice #28 IGN is only 10AMP while the cig lighter and outlet are both 15AMP. Seems weired lower amp. Neverthless, I am hesitat to mess with the ignition. How about the cabin light? Do you know which # that would be? Seems the cabin light is on an always on circuit. Or is it a bad idea to tap into that?
No dont use ignition. Fuse diagram (correct vehicle?) shows IGN is responsible for SRS airbag and fuel injection systems. Maybe take a look at RR FOG and see if that's constant power. If FR FOG is front fog light, I assume RR FOG is rear fog light but it's not equipped in your vehicle.

No dont use ignition. Fuse diagram (correct vehicle?) shows IGN is responsible for SRS airbag and fuel injection systems. Maybe take a look at RR FOG and see if that's constant power. If FR FOG is front fog light, I assume RR FOG is rear fog light but it's not equipped in your vehicle.
Thanks, yes I am really reluctant to use IGN. Its frustrating as I wanted to use HORN but my car has 2 fuse box locations as you can see from the diagrams. HORN is in the engine bay fuse box and seems like a big task to get the wire through. I researcned the RR FOG as a potential but someone with a Toyota said its marked no circuit because there is actually no circuit. Cars in the US do not have rear fog lights but those sold internationally might. So for standardization Toyota (and Lexus) has one fuse box globally. They even add a fuse but hte circuitry is not there. Bottom line is its not a circuit which can be used. With the ignition off, I did press the FUEL OPN door and it opened. The manual said the purpose is to open the fuel door but also to depressurize the gas tank and that the door will slowly open (which it does). Per the manual, there is also an emergency way to open the door through the rear hatch in case it malfunctions so if anything happens I can at least still put gas in the car. Except for not uderstnading the de-presurzation, this FUEL OPN seems like a good, relatively uncomplicated (no association with air bags, starters, lights, and other critical functions of the car), always hot circuit, to tap into. Only other concern is its only 7.5A. My worry is maybe the guage of the wire is rated in line with the Amps and by adding the dashcam and a 2A fuse to the circuit I am risking overheating the feed wire? I dont know which other hot circuit to pick. Any suggesions or you think FUEL OPEN is good?

Other one I am thinking of is S/ROOF for the moon roof. Its 30 Amps but I am not sure if its powered by a hot circuit. Will check next time in car.

Discussion regarding RR FOG No Circuit:
https://www.rav4world.com/forums/98...iring-can-i-use-fuse-labelled-no-circuit.html
I didn't test this yet but assume its correct.

Last edited:
Anyone care to chime in?

What about the power seats?
https://www.autogenius.info/lexus-rx-330-2004-2006-fuse-box-diagram/
Thanks, its in the engine bay fuse box unfortunately. But also 7.5A. I want to use the horn but its also in the engine bay. I guess the question assuming this fuel tank desprssurization is not an issue is would be is tapping a 7.5A circuit OK? If the car using the same guage wire for a 30A circuit as it does for a 7.5A then I'm not worried about it. But if the manufactuer uses wire guage based on amperage then it may not be a good idea. I don't have enough experiece with cars and installing things such as dashcams, GPS or stereo systems to know the answer.

According to the chart, power seats (#67) is in the passenger compartment and it's a 30A fuse.

Could also try Panel (#50), which is a 7.5A fuse.

Why care about original Ampers? The fusetap is accepting on the first slot the original fuse which is expected to be bigger than 5A and on the second slot of the fuse tap you will add the 5A fuse for the dashcam.
Just find the correct fuse and make the wiring, not wasting time by creating unnecessary problems about Ampers.

enjoy,
Mtz

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question. I currently have an opia 2 installed and I'm also using a vico power hardwire kit to where the power cord just plugs into the power plus socket. Can I just plug the a129's power plug into the power plus hard wire kit I have installed already? Or do I need a special hardwire kit?

Because we don't know the guage of the feed wire (wire feeding into the fuse box). Watch the video and you will understand the concept of overload.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question. I currently have an opia 2 installed and I'm also using a vico power hardwire kit to where the power cord just plugs into the power plus socket. Can I just plug the a129's power plug into the power plus hard wire kit I have installed already? Or do I need a special hardwire kit?
You need the Viofo 3-wire kit if you want to use the new parking mode.

Go buy a cheap tester as suggested, they are only £5 and then just pick a permanent live and ignition live, no messing asking different people. Dont use the one in the engine bay its to much hassle trying to route the cables.

Back