A129 Hardwire

@TonyM, what kind of vehicle is this? Mention of a towbar I'm guessing a truck or suv? Some have an "upfitter" panel box under rhe dash that has fused constant/ignition power and ground terminals for accessory upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Just a simple 2010 Mazda 6 Estate

1551695084131-png.45058
1551697687918-png.45062

Almost 5 months later, I finally got around to ordering an A129 hardwire kit last week. Tonight I tried to install it, but I'm giving up.

There are only 2No permanent live fuses in the small fuse box inside my car's cabin. The 15A 'ROOM' fuse that powers the interior lights is already tapped for my towbar. The 30A fuse at the top controls the power door locks and the Body Control Module, so I don't feel like tapping into that. Nothing else is permanently live. The remaining fuses are in the engine bay, including useful ones such as the power seats.

As a professionally qualified engineer (not in electronics, I might add) I understand the importance of recognising when I'm at the limit of my knowledge and ability. I'm happy to spend a little money and have someone suitably qualified to install my HW kit.
So this morning, I took my Mazda car to a Mazda dealership for a service and MOT. I asked if they could also spend 10 minutes to tap a couple of fuses for me and they declined, saying I need to take the car to an auto electrician. Looks like I'll be visiting the guy who installed my towbar. I might also ask why the towbar needs to be tapped into a permanent live power source...?

Coincidentally, my courtesy car from Mazda has a Thinkware dashcam hardwired into it. I still installed my own 2-channel dashcam alongside it for the day!

I might also ask why the towbar needs to be tapped into a permanent live power source...?
So that the solar panels on top of your caravan can charge your car battery and keep the dashcam going 24/7 all summer?

I guess brake lights and side lights have to work when the ignition is off, but I don't know what towbar permanent power is normally used for?

Back