A129 HK3 shuts off on remote engine start

Y-fi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently got the Viofo A129 and used the HK3 kit to hardwire it on my 2016 Honda Accord.

Everything seemed to run fine - with seamless transition to parking mode and back. Until I started using remote engine start because I wanted my car to get warm in these cool winter mornings.
Anyways, it appears that the dash cam just turns off (not the recording, the entire device boots off) when I use the remote engine start, and does not turn back on even if I get in the car and start driving. I have to manually press the leftmost button on the dashcam once to turn on the dashcam again.

Does anyone know what's causing this and if there is a particular solution? I have a theory that maybe the dashcam somehow freaks out because the ACC power is not turned on but the engine is turned on. I am not even sure if that's how remote engine start works though.

While you turn off the car(ACC OFF), the camera will enter to the parking mode?

While you turn off the car(ACC OFF), the camera will enter to the parking mode?
Yes, it goes to parking mode. When I start the car - it goes back to normal recording.
The only time I have noticed an issue is with remote engine start - which turns off the device for some reason. And then I have to manually turn it back on.

Sounds like you have it wired incorrectly
I suppose its always possible - but doubtful because parking mode seems to work fine for me normally. Also I used a tester and made sure my Battery and ACC wires were going to the right fuse block spots. So I think it's some other reason. Why do you think the wiring is incorrect?

I suppose its always possible - but doubtful because parking mode seems to work fine for me normally. Also I used a tester and made sure my Battery and ACC wires were going to the right fuse block spots. So I think it's some other reason. Why do you think the wiring is incorrect?
you've pulled power from the wrong circuit

Are there any in particular that you would recommend? I got mine with the Dashoto hardwire installation kit on Amazon.
You may just need to try and see. Your remote starter appears to be affecting your current fuses.

I will test my circuit again this weekend. But I did try to do some surface debugging and am having weird issues.

I have low bitrate parking mode selected, and I am guessing that the videocam icon in the top-left with a little 'P' on it means that parking mode is activated. It looked like that was on regardless of whether I had my engine turned off or on or even when I was driving. So I tried to test it with turning Parking mode Off. The icon went away. But then when I turned off the engine - my camera still kept recording. So I don't understand what exactly might be wrong with the wiring to cause this behavior. I'm going to bring out my tester and multimeter and try to debug the circuitry this weekend.

But if someone here has tips before I get into it, that is much appreciated.

I will test my circuit again this weekend. But I did try to do some surface debugging and am having weird issues.

I have low bitrate parking mode selected, and I am guessing that the videocam icon in the top-left with a little 'P' on it means that parking mode is activated. It looked like that was on regardless of whether I had my engine turned off or on or even when I was driving. So I tried to test it with turning Parking mode Off. The icon went away. But then when I turned off the engine - my camera still kept recording. So I don't understand what exactly might be wrong with the wiring to cause this behavior. I'm going to bring out my tester and multimeter and try to debug the circuitry this weekend.

But if someone here has tips before I get into it, that is much appreciated.
If you turn parking mode off and the camera still records when you shut the car off, then your fuse you tapped for the yellow ACC wire is still live.
Are you plugged into the camera or mount?

If you turn parking mode off and the camera still records when you shut the car off, then your fuse you tapped for the yellow ACC wire is still live.
Are you plugged into the camera or mount?
Plugged into the camera directly. Well the weird thing is that I thought it might have been the opposite problem because initially my cam was staying on parking mode even when I was driving. So I thought maybe my ACC wire is getting no voltage, and to test it I turned parking mode off. Which is when my cam just stayed on even when the engine is off. Which would suggest what you said.

It's kinda weird and I am interested to see what turns up when I test the circuit this weekend. Maybe it's just loose connections on the ACC fuse tap causing weird behavior.

Update:

I re-checked the wiring and even put in new fuse taps and fuses, and plugged into a different fuse slot for both Red, and ACC wires. I tested with a tester multiple times (making sure ACC wire connected to the hardwire controller turns on and off with the car accessories) and I am fairly positive my wiring is good. I'm also an Electrical Engineer and test wiring and circuits as my job so hopefully you can take my word for it. Even sprained my neck a bit working on this. :cry:

What I'm noticing is just erratic behavior for when it switches to parking mode and not. Looking at my clips from over the weekend, it seems like sometimes it doesn't go into parking mode for a while after I have turned the engine off. Sometimes it happens immediately (I am guessing that is what is happening when the red REC light starts blinking right after I shut off the engine). Sometimes I think it stays in parking mode for a 3 minute clip or so after I started driving already.

Is this normal behavior? Seems weird to me. It's also pretty annoying - the lack of information on parking mode that Viofo has in their manual or website. You have to scavenge the internet forums to even figure out what the symbols mean and how to be sure if it is going into parking mode or not.

I am out of ideas for now and am wondering if its possible for something to be wrong with the HK3 controller or the dashcam itself. I'd really love to just be sure everything is good and not have to check my dashcam intensely every time I take my car out.

What firmware are you using? The A129 should beep three times when going into parking mode... At least that's what mine did.

My HK3 seemed to work quite well but my hardwire kit for my mini 0906 is another story..
It starts up when the engine starts up but not when the ignition is switched on, which makes me think it's looking for a specific voltage or doing something fancy, maybe the HK3 is being a bit too smart for its own good?

What firmware are you using? The A129 should beep three times when going into parking mode... At least that's what mine did.

My HK3 seemed to work quite well but my hardwire kit for my mini 0906 is another story..
It starts up when the engine starts up but not when the ignition is switched on, which makes me think it's looking for a specific voltage or doing something fancy, maybe the HK3 is being a bit too smart for its own good?

Firmware 1.9

I enabled all beep sounds. My observation is that its just inconsistent how quickly it switches in and out of parking mode. Sometimes it does it within 10 seconds, and other times it takes a few minutes.

I recently got the Viofo A129 and used the HK3 kit to hardwire it on my 2016 Honda Accord.

Everything seemed to run fine - with seamless transition to parking mode and back. Until I started using remote engine start because I wanted my car to get warm in these cool winter mornings.
Anyways, it appears that the dash cam just turns off (not the recording, the entire device boots off) when I use the remote engine start, and does not turn back on even if I get in the car and start driving. I have to manually press the leftmost button on the dashcam once to turn on the dashcam again.

Does anyone know what's causing this and if there is a particular solution? I have a theory that maybe the dashcam somehow freaks out because the ACC power is not turned on but the engine is turned on. I am not even sure if that's how remote engine start works though.

You are probably using a fuse that's tied into other systems. I had a similar problem. I kept going out to my car and finding the camera turning itself back on. Thinking I'd forgot to turn it off on numerous occasions, I initially overlooked the issue. Until I finally found the culprit. When I locked my doors and folded my mirror, the camera came on. Apparently, the fuse I tapped was somehow tied to another system not listed in manual. Swapped to another spot, and problem solved.

Do you have the user manual on your Honda Accord? Might help to post it here and show us what fuses you've tapped. Also, the fuse you use wiht the 16 AWG wiring for the camera should be 5 AMP but no more than 7.5. Just an aside note.

Assuming this is your proper manual See page 67: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/QS/AH/AT2A1616OG4D/enu/AT2A1616OG-4D.PDF

Try giving fuse #15 Drivers Power Seat Reclining a try for Battery (Always On). Test if the seat moves when the car is shut off. If so, this fuse should suffice without conflicting into other systems. I tapped into my power seats for Battery.

ACC (Accessory) for when car starts - If you have Heated Seats try #17. I use those on my vehicle. If no heated seats, you could try #40 Front Accessory Power Socket. Test these fuses with an LED light tester and the ignition off. Then start the car and see if these fuses are active.

Last edited:
Back