A129 in a convertible.

Demo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I drive a Mazda Miata MX5 convertible so there are no rear seats and only occasionally a rear window.. If I get an A129 what do you think of the idea of mounting both cameras on the front windscreen? Does the rear cam needs its own power or does it get its power from the front cam?

If you get the infrared taxi cam version of the A129 then it comes with a short cable ideal for mounting the rear camera on the front windscreen or mirror housing.

You do get a better rear image if you mount it on the roll bars, visibility from the mirror area can be quite poor with the roof up, but it depends on what you are using it for, if not for movie making then using the taxi cam version may be a good option.

You could also consider a bike cam, since they are waterproof, but even Viofo's MT1 bike cam doesn't have all the parking mode features of the A129 Duo, similar image quality though.

If you get the infrared taxi cam version of the A129 then it comes with a short cable ideal for mounting the rear camera on the front windscreen or mirror housing.

You do get a better rear image if you mount it on the roll bars, visibility from the mirror area can be quite poor with the roof up, but it depends on what you are using it for, if not for movie making then using the taxi cam version may be a good option.

You could also consider a bike cam, since they are waterproof, but even Viofo's MT1 bike cam doesn't have all the parking mode features of the A129 Duo, similar image quality though.

Thanks, I was not aware of the taxi and bike versions. I will take a look at those.

What about under the passenger side headrest..

What about under the passenger side headrest..

Unoccupied seats can vibrate a lot, so I'd recommend that this be tried as a temporary install first in case the location proves unusable. No fun in undoing work just done which was intended to be permanent!

Phil

In my car, a 2002 Miata, the headrests are part of the seat, there is no gap but thanks for the thought. I do not have roll bars so I guess my best option is to mount one on the windscreen but pointing backwards.

Back