A129 IR + issue with keyless entry

Relicsinner

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just installed the A129 IR with a HK3 over the weekend and notice an issue with my keyless entry right; intermittently respond to the lock /unlock/ key not present issue. I turned off the wifi which improved slightly but it is acting up again intermittently. Does anyone have similar encounter? If so, how did you rectify the issue?

Did you tap the fuse of the keyless entry module? Seems like that would be the only logical explanation, as key fobs don't operate at either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

As Jokiin asked vehicle info would help.
Something to be aware of, keyless entry cars have internal and external antenna to detect the fob signal. Having the A129 close to the roof ones may be creating interference as you suggest. Not necessarily TX signal but many noisy signals in the A129 eg CPU, general high frequencies, IR cable noise. Back camera on other units seem to effect DAB radio signal so may be similar.
Also its been reported that some 3 wire kits create noise in the audio of the A129 which would also mean frequency splatter.
Food for thought.

I have a 2020 Macan. It was tapped into the Am empty fuse slot so I doubt it is the keyless entry module. I’ll try to route it from the bottom instead. Thx

Thx jokiin. Seems like it is the rear cam. After I disconnected it and the problem is resolved. Do I have to change the cable ? Or reposition the rear cam?

it is positioned in the center. I am not sure how much movement it can be moved. It is currently ran through the roofline. Would the cabling route matter ?

Another member here was having the same issue with their 2014 Cadillac CTS. With the rear camera plugged in, it interfered with the Tire Pressure Monitor and Keyless Entry. On most GM vehicles both of these receivers are in the same place and usually integrated into the same single unit which is usually located on drivers side (US Models) trunk behind/over the wheel well. If the rear camera cable is routed near this area it may cause interference.

Thanks guys, I’ll try to reroute the cable this weekend and see how it goes. I also notice the range of the key is reduced to like a meter or so with the rear plugged in. Would you think installing a Ferrrite or shielding the cable would help? Also, I measured the cable which is 5mm thick, would a 5mm Ferrite be too tight? or should I go with a 6mm / 7mm version? Thx guys.

Some user used ferrite choke and solved the issue, we can offer this for free for you if you need.

It did not work at all. Tried shielding the cable with copper tape, aluminium foil, choke but it all failed, wrap the rear cam with aluminium foil and reroute the cable. I gave up as it was a not getting any where. I went down to a recommended car audio shop and got a blackvue 750s supplied and installed. It is working perfectly as a Dashcam should. I regret even considering the viofo to begin with and now believe quality comes at a price.

It's not necessarily any lack of quality here. Every different processor, CMOS driver, and chipset will radiate different amounts of RFI on different frequencies. Different cars will have the keyless locking, TPM, and such working on different frequencies too. it's impossible to design against or shield against every possible frequency at all power levels.

It's the combination of car and cam which is the problem. Others people use this exact same cam in other cars with no problems. You've found a cam that works with your car that gives no problems. The Blackvue 750 has caused similar problems in other cars. No car and no cam is immune here.

So there's no single-point problem and thus no single-point fix will work. Maybe somebody would like to create a database of cars and cams which give problems that people could research before purchasing a cam, but that would be a huge never-ending job. It's the only real solution I can see thart might work.

Phil

Back