A129 IR + issue with keyless entry

A notable exception was the terrible camera functionality of the Go pro Hero 3, where Woodman felt the need to apologize on Facebook! I think there were thousands of complaints on Amazon!
Yet the same company would issue takedown notices citing copyright infringement against websites that posted negative reviews of their cameras, go figure

Lately i have noticed some problems with keyless entry in my car too ( other brand cameras )
But as it fluctuate a lot i am blaming outside RF interference, and the battery in my car key probably need replacement too as it have been in operation since 2012
Some parking lots some times i have to stand with touching distance of my car to be able to lock / open it, and other places i can do that with ease from 3 - 4 car length distance.

It don't bother me much though, if need be i can use the key in the door as i have done most of my time as a car owner.

Lately i have noticed some problems with keyless entry in my car too ( other brand cameras )
But as it fluctuate a lot i am blaming outside RF interference, and the battery in my car key probably need replacement too as it have been in operation since 2012
Some parking lots some times i have to stand with touching distance of my car to be able to lock / open it, and other places i can do that with ease from 3 - 4 car length distance.

It don't bother me much though, if need be i can use the key in the door as i have done most of my time as a car owner.
Hold the key to your forehead when you press the button - you will get double the range :)

But I don't think that is the keyless entry we are talking about, the problem is with the keys you leave in your pocket and don't need to press any buttons to unlock the door or start the engine. Obviously these need 2 way communication so far more chance of problems, and they probably won't run for 8 years on the original battery!

O that's right, i forget the new stuff where you don't have to put the key into anything, just have it around.
Dident the top gear guys steal one of the other guys car, abusing the keyless thing.

I am inclined to say ( again ) just cuz you can do something, don't mean you have to do it. about suck car key technology.

Dident the top gear guys steal one of the other guys car, abusing the keyless thing.
Don't remember that but I wouldn't be surprised. There has been a huge rise in actual car thefts recently where the key has been inside the house overnight and the thief has used a signal booster to make the car think the key is outside its door so it happily unlocks and starts up, once the engine is running you don't need the key to drive away.

Last edited:
So as you mentioned twice in the same post, you will not believe that which you cannot see. OK.

Well you haven't shown me anything otherwise which has any validity- perhaps you can do that? :cautious: It's already clear that you have (or had) almost no understanding of how the Amazon reviews and numbers are easily and provably skewed so how about you offer up a different form of proof? That shouldn't be hard to do if vyour premiswe is correct ;)

I'm always willing to see, hear, learn, and change but even when faced with multiple testimonies that counter your stated beliefs, you are not apparently willing to change. Hmmmm, something is very wrong when a person is like that :(

The human mind is like a parachute; if it's not open then it's not functioning :oops:

Phil

Well you haven't shown me anything otherwise which has any validity- perhaps you can do that? :cautious: It's already clear that you have (or had) almost no understanding of how the Amazon reviews and numbers are easily and provably skewed so how about you offer up a different form of proof? That shouldn't be hard to do if vyour premiswe is correct ;)

I'm always willing to see, hear, learn, and change but even when faced with multiple testimonies that counter your stated beliefs, you are not apparently willing to change. Hmmmm, something is very wrong when a person is like that :(

The human mind is like a parachute; if it's not open then it's not functioning :oops:

Phil

I've already written earlier in this thread that "without access to definitive comparative sales data, it does not seem as if any real conclusions can be reached that are simply not based upon subjective personal opinion", and I have not made any strong assertions which cannot be proven, but simply additional considerations as to why yours may be wrong which you seem to be very willing to ignore.

The image which appears in my head when I read your words is of someone with hands clasped over his ears, his eyes tightly shut, while shouting at the top of his lungs, "I'm always willing to see, hear, learn, and change!" The irony is palpable. You can keep arguing about this, but I'm done. It does not matter to me that you don't see what I do. You win the thread. Goodbye.

Don't remember that but I wouldn't be surprised. There has been a huge rise in actual car thefts recently where the key has been inside the house overnight and the thief has used a signal booster to make the car think the key is outside its door so it happily unlocks and starts up, once the engine is running you don't need the key to drive away.

Yes, there were all in a cafe and one of them was able to drive the others car some distance before it cut out. I have my keys in a faraday bag when I arrive home.

Keyless start is actually a step backwards. Previously you had an immobiliser and the physical key - 2 factors to start the car. Now you have just the keyless part.

Also OBD ports are usually not secured, you can clone keys, start the car etc as most manufacturer cop out and stick everything on the same bus (security systems used to be seperate from the PCM in the past)

Previously you had an immobiliser and the physical key - 2 factors to start the car. Now you have just the keyless part.
How does the steering lock work? As far as I know it is still a legal requirement to have one, and I don't like the idea of it being capable of locking while you are driving just because a computer has decided that it should! At least with the physical key in the lock, it can only enable if the driver removes the key, and then the driver is clearly to blame for the resulting accident.

Yes, there were all in a cafe and one of them was able to drive the others car some distance before it cut out. I have my keys in a faraday bag when I arrive home.

Keyless start is actually a step backwards. Previously you had an immobiliser and the physical key - 2 factors to start the car. Now you have just the keyless part.

Also OBD ports are usually not secured, you can clone keys, start the car etc as most manufacturer cop out and stick everything on the same bus (security systems used to be seperate from the PCM in the past)
Car thefts nowadays take less than 30s for keyless? At least that’s according to most of the CCTV recordings. As such I do still prefer to use steering lock or brake paddle + ignition lock.

Ironically, when after spending years of research and development, the best safety equipment goes back to the basic. A padlock (steering lock and etc which require some physical breakthrough)

Ironically, when after spending years of research and development, the best safety equipment goes back to the basic. A padlock (steering lock and etc which require some physical breakthrough)
if they want it they'll just tow it

most thefts these days are with the keys, they break into your house and just take the keys

if they want it they'll just tow it

most thefts these days are with the keys, they break into your house and just take the keys
True enough! If they want it they will just do whatever they want. But I will do my best to slow them down at least or to annoy them. Hahaha

True enough! If they want it they will just do whatever they want. But I will do my best to slow them down at least or to annoy them. Hahaha
they do go for soft targets, if the car next to you is easier they'll steal it instead of yours

it's electric, I have one car that's keyless and I hate the thing, with the last car I bought having key to start it was a must have on the features I wanted
That should be illegal!

The steering lock was made a legal requirement in the days when you could easily hotwire a car and once you had defeated the electrics to start the engine you could drive it off without a key, the steering lock ensures that you need the physical key before you can safely drive the car.

If the steering lock is now electric then defeating the electrics/electronics now means you can drive the car away without the key again, which completely defeats the purpose of the law. You are supposed to stick to the intention of the law, not the actual words so I wouldn't be surprised if cars that support keyless driving are illegal!

I remember seeing one of the local snot faced punks ( now hells angels ) steal a Mazda 626 in 30 seconds flat ( from not touching it to reversing out of the P bay )
The Mazdas was legendary it seem.

yet it's not, go figure
I looked up the law, seems the European Union has amended it, and now it is a complicated set of rules that probably allow the car manufacturers to do anything!

It should simply say: "It must not be possible for the vehicle to be driven without its individually coded key being present.", then it would be easy to prosecute the manufacturers for building cars that can easily be stolen in 10 seconds, and the manufacturers could invent new more secure systems such as using the presence of your phone as the key, instead we have pages of rules: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31995L0056

I looked up the law, seems the European Union has amended it, and now it is a complicated set of rules that probably allow the car manufacturers to do anything!

It should simply say: "It must not be possible for the vehicle to be driven without its individually coded key being present.", then it would be easy to prosecute the manufacturers for building cars that can easily be stolen in 10 seconds, and the manufacturers could invent new more secure systems such as using the presence of your phone as the key, instead we have pages of rules: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31995L0056
yeah I don't disagree with you, the system is flawed to allow these things to happen to begin with

You are supposed to stick to the intention of the law, not the actual words so I wouldn't be surprised if cars that support keyless driving are illegal!

Maybe over there, but in the US everyone pushes and twists laws any way they can to get whatever it is they wanted, then claim it's legal because the law didn't speak exactly and precisely about what they are doing, thus their logic is that it must therefore be allowable :sneaky: And our Supreme Court seems to follow suit quite a lot, as their interpretation and understanding of simple words easily understood by common people doesn't match that of the majority of people over here but becomes the standard anyway :mad:

I try to not be a 'luddite' but I agree that an electric steering wheel lock is probably a bad idea- especially if it's computer controlled. We've already seen where earlier Chrysler/Jeep vehicles could be hacked and controlled remotely; just imagine this happening to your steering :eek: Or a computer glitch doing this; no computer ever made is 100% foolproof or 100% reliable- just cannot be done :( But as I said of key fob unlocking, when the people want something the manufacturers will give it to them even if they know their system has correctable flaws...

Phil

Back